Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-27-2015, 08:39 AM   #15
Newmar Owners Club
No doubt about it, an RV is a fantastic piece of equipment. It is wonderously complex - your own city on wheels. Far more expensive than spending your nights at the local Motel6.

While I was ocean boating, the phrase was: this is like standing in a shower and tossing away $100 bills.

Yep, but we love it. I am still doing it and hope I can continue for years to come.

Hope you feel the same way in a few years.

tbbg II is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #16
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I own two homes, a motor home and a Cruiser, something is always not quite right with one of them, but in order to enjoy the life style I enjoy, I like things to be perfect and very few times have I had an interruption in my trip, mainly due to knowledge and others people's knowledge and experience.

This forum is to empower you to know what to do in a given situation to minimize the interruption in my opinion.

I have never been delayed more than a few hours, I consider myself lucky, but I also think you create some of your own luck by taking care of issues.

Stay positive and enjoy the experience!

Johnny Rotten
2009 American Eagle 42'
Trailering HD Road Glide and Saab 9.3 or Cadillac Escalade ESV
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #17
I feel your concern. I'm in our MH about six months/year. For the last three years I figure I spend about 20mins maintenance for every day we're out. Computes to around three 1/2day weeks for me to fix everything that broke, clean every dirty thing, paint every blistered panel, change all the fluids, grease all the zerks...

This trip so far I have to replace a hydraulic hose, paint two more panels, fluids...

The problem is as I'm sitting around "relaxing" while we're gone I'm thinking about all the work I gotta do when I return to my repair/maintenance supercenter... can't fully relax!
2014 XLR 415AMP, 2011 F350 6.7 DRW, restored 82 Wing, 02 Shadow, 06 ST1300A, NRA Benefactors.
dwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
Would there be a forum if all the reports were, loaded the RV, drove 100 mile camped with friends for 3 nights and came home, back to work. Which is the case in an over whelming part of the time. Most outings are just fun times without problems, but that isn't news worthy and I wouldn't be reading other than some reports on great stops.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #19

No better explanation could be had than your post. Excellent response and many happy trails to you both!

Mike and Cynda, 3 four legged co pilots, '05 Alfa 36FD, Jeep wrangler toad and many more memories to come!
McFarlin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
We've been RVing for 38 years. We've had three slide in campers, one Class C, one Class A gas and two DP's. We've logged over 200K miles and have NEVER been left stranded. We've had some items that needed repair on the road, but never enough to even delay a trip.

My motor home is my hot rod and I love doing projects to improve the systems it has or add things that make it more comfortable and easier to use. It's been said many times, you need to have some DIY capabilities to keep these things going. You don't need to a certified electrician or a master mechanic, but you should be able to fix small plumbing leaks, turn a screwdriver and have a basic understanding how the coach electrical works.

These forums can really help someone with basic skills work their way through troubleshooting and repairs of the basic systems.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #21
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
new to RVing.........spent lots of time looking thru as many forums as possible..........all this research as raised the following question..........do RV owners ever have time to enjoy their RV's and traveling with all the issues they seem to have?........if it isn't one thing going wrong, it seems like it is another.............I personally am waiting for the RV I bought to be delivered, but I have spent many days/weeks researching tires, warranties, engines, looking at these forums, talking to rv service people, and the one thing I keep coming back to is every rv owner seems to have problems with their unit...............am I missing something?.......... I keep thinking about spending time on the road, seeing the USA (not some foreign country), and all the adventures we may have..............but then reality jumps up, and I start to think about when is the generator going out, or when the engine will blow up and the extended warranty people will reject my claim...............is it me, or have others felt the same way?......I hope I am overreacting due to my unfamiliarity with my new adventure..........thoughts?
very valid concern. Most people are correct that you're basically going to the complaint dept. to get info so those are about the only stories you'll hear. That being said it's amazing how cheaply constructed ANY RV is for what you pay for it and it's not unheard of for them to come off the lot with little issues here and there. They're just not durable vehicles. A little maintenance and care goes a long ways. If I were you that's where I would spend most of my time...learning how to properly care for your RV.
We bought our 2010 new and I've had very few issues with it. All of which I was able to fix myself. We've spent far more time using it than I have working on it.
If you really want to see something....wait until you see all the back up's for back up's people carry around with them.
I see you're in reynoldsburg....I'm out in Lancaster.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:16 AM   #22
Fleetwood Owners Club
Let's try it this way if you bought a condo or beach or mountain get away you would have broke things, maintenance, upkeep and improvements. There is no such thing as having a second home on wheels that every part on every day and every mile will be flawless... I am willing to pay the price to have my bed, my shower, my kitchen....parked where I want it whenever I want it there....it will never make economic sense....I have not met many accountants with RV's...my life has been blessed to have our RV and if I am 20 miles or 800 miles from my residence I am at home...you will love it...2005 fleetwood expedition GlenB
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #23
Not all break downs turn out to be a bad experience. My refer conked out in Yellowstone so I had to travel to Cody Wyoming to try and get it fixed. That detour turned out to be a great experience. I stayed in a great Campground (Ponderosa) and had the pleasure of dealing with an honest repairman and got to see a beautiful part of the country. The refer was fixed in 2 days but we stayed a week taking in the Beartooth Scenic highway and the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway as well as the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum. If all you do is worry about the bumps in the road, all you will ever see is asphalt.
Denis, Ruth and Gracie
the K-9 Dashboard Ornament
2007 Newmar Baystar 3202
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:23 PM   #24
Maintenance. Sticks and bricks, or motorhome/rv? I have learned that it is part of the deal either way. This forum is excellent to learn what to do and Not to do.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:13 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Search this site for a thread titled "went on 2000 mile t r op with no issues".
3 pages of folks who ARE having a great time.
It can happen.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #26
FWIW one also learns what counts when dealing with a problem. Right now out C has a stuck slide and is in the shop getting the motors replaced. Before we dropped it off we spent 3 nights in a park near the repair facility because we wanted some camping time. Aside from a tight squeeze near the sink the unit works fine with the slides in. Got our 3 nights, dropped off the camper and headed home in the towed. NBD. If we did not have an extended warranty contract I would have fixed it by now. As it stands CW is doing it.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:12 PM   #27
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Of course, jsm..... How often do you see a glowing, upbeat story on the news focusing on the 12,000 U.S. airline flights that happen every day, day after day after day, without so much as a burp.

Oh, never hear about them? Of course not! Also don't hear too often from all those RVers out there just rolling along, everything running fine.
Many people come here for help, and before that there must be a problem, so the perception can get skewed.
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:33 AM   #28
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just finished over 8200 mile in three months this spring/summer. The weather was horrid and the roads were rough. Other than having our Generator serviced and two oil changes we made the trip without getting marooned alongside some deserted highway. Granted we lost our awning to 65 mph winds on the freeway and had to replace both windshields upon our return due to debris getting thrown up off the road by semis, but all in all the major systems functioned as required. Besides, our insurance covered the awning and windshields. Can they be a money pit? Sure, especially if you let them sit and never use them. Overall I feel the maintenance and repairs are well worth the fun factor in the journeys my Mrs and I have enjoyed together. Keep on top of preventative maintenance, shocks and tires and you will get many good years of use. Of course a lot depends on the condition of the Motorhome you purchase if used, or the quality of the build if new. JMHO.

'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote