Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-27-2015, 04:11 AM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
general question/observation

new to RVing.........spent lots of time looking thru as many forums as possible..........all this research as raised the following question..........do RV owners ever have time to enjoy their RV's and traveling with all the issues they seem to have?........if it isn't one thing going wrong, it seems like it is another.............I personally am waiting for the RV I bought to be delivered, but I have spent many days/weeks researching tires, warranties, engines, looking at these forums, talking to rv service people, and the one thing I keep coming back to is every rv owner seems to have problems with their unit...............am I missing something?.......... I keep thinking about spending time on the road, seeing the USA (not some foreign country), and all the adventures we may have..............but then reality jumps up, and I start to think about when is the generator going out, or when the engine will blow up and the extended warranty people will reject my claim...............is it me, or have others felt the same way?......I hope I am overreacting due to my unfamiliarity with my new adventure..........thoughts?

jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 04:20 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Forums such as ours that educate owners can instill fear in some. Others will feel empowered to venture out there knowing if something does happen, they'll know how to fix it or get a speedy answer as to what to do. I traveled to 49 States and all 10 Canadian Provinces before I ever joined a forum or even knew of their existence. There's hundreds of thousands RV'ers enjoying the lifestyle and dealing with issues as they occur.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:26 AM   #3
I think we all "fiddled" with our RVs to get them to our satisfaction. Sitting idle is the biggest problem with RVs, so I try to use mine at least once per month and always exercise all the systems. I've had some issues, such as defective leveling jacks and refrigerator problems, but all in all it has not been that bad.

Most RV owners have a passion in understanding their rigs and that's part of the enjoyment in MHO. No regrets here. My advice "kick the tires and light the fires".
Dave and Holly
2011 Winnebago Sightseer 33c with a 2011 Honda CRV behind.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:00 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
new to RVing.........spent lots of time looking thru as many forums as possible..........all this research as raised the following question..........do RV owners ever have time to enjoy their RV's and traveling with all the issues they seem to have?............am I missing something?.......... .............thoughts?
HaHaHa... Initially, I say the same thing to myself, Until I realize; people post here because they have a problem.. the view is skewed...

Example; take a RV technician; everytime he see a motorhome, it has a problem. his conclusion is: All MH must be junks. What he doesn't see is the millions of other RV that don't have problem - but he doesn't see it.

So...on this forum or other forum, majority of people post because they have issues, The other millions of happy RV'ers with no issue ....well ... they didn't post , the view is skewed.
Dan Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:08 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
do RV owners ever have time to enjoy their RV's and traveling with all the issues they seem to have?
Howdy and welcome jsmmonaco!

Most certainly they do! Keep in mind that what you are reading is almost completely one sided (negative). There aren't too many people that post daily about what worked correctly such as "Today my refrigerator worked great - all food cold or frozen. My slides went in and out just like they are supposed to."

I am a fulltimer and my coach "works" and I enjoy it immensely. Yes, just like a house or a car, there are some intermittent issues as well as improvements that I like to make.
JD & Buddy (the ferocious feline) - Full timer out west
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4023 | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 650 Watts Solar
My Adventures
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:13 AM   #6
I've owned my 2011 since February of 2013. I've only had three minor issues and have driven almost 30,000 miles. The issues:
1. Governor on the generator needed adjustment
2. Slide cover started tearing
3. Put on new tires at the 5 year mark

So, you will have issues from time to time, but they should not keep from your adventures. Enjoy!

David, Heidi, M and Moose(the lab)
2011 Damon Astoria
Pulling an'09 Chevy CrewCab.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:38 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
HEY..Sometimes it is an adventure and a few times an ADVENTURE! LOL

I would say that, especially for those planning on full time use, if you are the perpetual worry wart and can't stand dealing with unexpected issues...You might not be one that finds the RV life style your cup of tea. Let's face it. For folks with S&B homes, most surprises don't affect you like some RV surprises can.

For me, the normal upkeep, learning how to do it better and tinker with it keeps my mind working and me off the streets. For the most part the one thing we all probably dread is the breakdown the requires a tow. For full timers it is also the work that would kick us out of the coach that is most challenging. If you have pets, that can be more complicated.

OTOH, it is the ability/freedom to look at the weather and say...this is gonna suck, start the engine and head someplace else. For us it has been finding places we hadn't even imagined that gave us new experiences we didn't plan on. It is the fun of meeting other folks in all manner of RVs and swapping stories.

For ME, I gain another measure of confidence when Sandee and I work through a problem and come out the other side with better knowledge of our coach along with ourselves and our ability work through the problem and still remain married. LOL

Like others have said, forums like this often revolve around things that break, problems that have been had and things that tick us off. It can make the RV life style look scary to the curious and novices. The diverse opinions can be confusing. If you can keep things in perspective, sort through all the information and find a balance between the extremes, accept that the easiest challenge might be buying an RV in the first place...you might be a HAPPY RVer.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:53 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club

I appreciate the input.............it is nice knowing that if a problem comes around the corner, there is someplace to go for some help, other than dumping money down the rabbit hole............so now it is time to prepare for my dealer predelivery walkthru....
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:32 AM   #9
I've said many times that when you put a home on wheels and bounce it down the road your going to have issues. For the most part I enjoy troubleshooting and fixing those little problems that crop up. Others (that in my book probably should have bought a vacation home instead) have no desire or mechanical ability so every little issue that pops up is a major problem. I guarantee, you will have issues, but it sounds like your taking the steps necessary so the issue is not a problem. It's all part of the fun.
BTCS (SW) USN retired
halibut214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:46 AM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Don't forget, these forums list problems. You don't see many of the thousands of posts that could say, "we had a great trip, all went fine."
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:07 AM   #11
FWIW vacation homes have similar but different problems. Shutting down and starting up plus wintering without heat do their own wear and tear. ;-)

I heard an interesting statistic the other day. Schwintek claims to make 120,000 slide mechanisms/year. They don't all break. Unfortunately too many do but that is still probably under 10%. It's only a problem when it was mine. ;-) OTOH now I know a lot more about how it works and how to DIY if we did not have a service agreement. That is what you see here. Those of us who get caught and share information about how to get out of the predicament.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:09 AM   #12
Every year since 1978 (the earliest date the information is available) the industry has produced between 100,000 and 356,000 units per year. This includes travel trailers, fifth wheel trailers, motorhomes, folding trailers and truck campers.

The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: Historical Glance

Of the more than 3,000,000. units produced a vast majority are still on the road. This forum and others like it have only a small fraction of the owners as members.

While many posts do concern problems that have been encountered they are far and away the minority. Keep in mind this is a highly mobile DIY population. Most seeking advise to resolve a problem are doing so here to gain knowledge from fellow members that may have encountered the same or similar situations. They are on the road and having fun while seeking advise rather than stopping at a repair shop or dealer to have their problems resolved.

We are on our second motorhome. The first one went well over 100,000 miles with very few problems. As far as I know it's still racking up the miles with the new owner. Our "new" motorhome already has about 25,000 miles on the odometer, and again we've had almost no problems. In my opinion problems are the exception rather than the rule. Remember the old adage. A satisfied customer tells 3 people of their experience, an unhappy customer tells 10 people.

Given the number of forum members in relation to the total number of owners, and the number of problems aired in relation to the total number of posts, I would say that there are far more satisfied silent owners than dissatisfied vocal owners.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:09 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I look back at the list of problems we have had, mostly minor but a couple major, not one of them have kept us from using our rig. I am almost at 20k on the odometer and have used it continually over the last two years without any down time. I think at least in my case its wanting absolute perfection in all systems as well as trying to upgrade the coach to better suit our individual needs. The forum and the tweaking or repairs are just as much my hobby as actually using the coach. Like I said, not one of the issues we have had have kept us off the road. At best they were a slight annoyance to my ocd personality. LOL
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:32 AM   #14
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The majority who post on these type of forums are the RVers with problems and those new to RVing. Those of us with experience will respond to those posts to help others. Consider all the RV's on the road, there is a small percentage posting problems on these forums; most are out enjoying their RV's.

We have had a few issues since having our first used Safari Trek in 2006 ... the refrig went out the night before a 3-wk vacation on July 4th weekend ... Solved that and hit the road and had breaks and steering go out in New Mexico & got it fixed and on the road again!

Even a couple of things with our new Itasca Meridian but nothing to write about. Instead we are doing 1-2 week trips each month thru 2015 and even a couple of 3 week trips since getting our Meridian in Jan. We have a great group of RV services we use in Austin that help us maintain our MH's along with my husband's expertise.

Life is too short to worry about something we have no control over ... we maintain our MH's and then we go ENJOY IT!!!! Everyone at some point is going to have some problems but we fix um and get back on the road.

So maintain your MH and go have FUN!!!

austx is offline   Reply With Quote