Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #1

Generator

I have a 2005 Fleetwood Expedition with a 7.5 onan diesel gen set. The problem is when the coach is underway the genset will not stay running, sometimes it will run for 5 mins. and sometimes it will run for 1.5 hrs. When the coach is parked no problem. I have changed the fuel and air filters, just changed the oil and filter and the coolant level looks correct.
Does anyone have any ideas?
expedition1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
When you are underway, of course the engine is running. One possibility is your fuel tank cap is not venting and is starving the gen. for fuel.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Got more than 1/4 tank of fuel? I had to. Change my fuel filter twice to get the lines all clean. Runs fine now. Got 'em from NAPA.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #4

I have never run the fuel tank below 1/4. What has me confused is the genset will run with no problem while the coach is parked. Only when I am under way is there an issue.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition1 View Post
I have never run the fuel tank below 1/4. What has me confused is the genset will run with no problem while the coach is parked. Only when I am under way is there an issue.
Look at response above. If the fuel cap is not venting enough, the coach or gen set may run by themselves, but not together. Try removing the fuel cap on the next trip and see if that solves your problem.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
very short version of a much longer story:

Couple of years ago I was a monster on the haunted trail.
We had a Honda EF-2000i powering our work station

It did like your generator, Run for a short time and quit.

I finally "Fixed" it for the park.

Honda EF series has a sealed fuel system. This is so they can suck gas out of an Extended run tank.. The vent was closed. I suggested they open it.

I echo the "Check your fuel cap for venting" suggestion
Old 06-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #7

Generator

The venting issue has spiked my interest. Let me ask this. When I remove the fuel cap to fuel I do notice I get a hissing sound suggesting there is a vacuum. Is this normal?
Old 06-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #8

Quote:
The venting issue has spiked my interest. Let me ask this. When I remove the fuel cap to fuel I do notice I get a hissing sound suggesting there is a vacuum. Is this normal?
I never get it on my DP. I may be wrong, but I don't think diesels have a "Sealed System" like gas powered vehicles because diesel fuel doesn't evaporate like gasoline. If true, you should vent to atmosphere and never build up vacuum or pressure in the tank.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most diesel systems are vented and should never draw vacuume. Alot of the old systems have lift pumps and the vacuume would shorten their life. Also check your fuel lines to the generator and vent lines with the slides OUT and slides IN.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #10

Quote:
I have a 2005 Fleetwood Expedition with a 7.5 onan diesel gen set. The problem is when the coach is underway the genset will not stay running, sometimes it will run for 5 mins. and sometimes it will run for 1.5 hrs. When the coach is parked no problem. I have changed the fuel and air filters, just changed the oil and filter and the coolant level looks correct.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Have the same model, only thing I can offer is that my Onan does not like to run without a load unless it is completely warmed up.

I turn the electric water heater on to give it some load anyway when rolling down the road.

On occasion if I am rolling down the road and both A/C's cycle off before it is completely warmed up and the water heater cycles off it will shut down and throw a code that basically says that the RPM's were too low.

Check to see what code it is throwing....you will find that in the maual.

If that is the case, you do not have a problem IMHO....they do not like to run without a load.

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

A hiss is definitely not normal. All fuel systems are vented in some fashion - they have to allow air to replace the fuel that is used or there will be a vacuum in the tank. Most newer vehicle fuel systems vent through the filler cap, but it may have a check valve on it to prevent loss of fuel vapors. Some older caps were not vented and the tank had some other vent mechanism - an old cap on a newer tank may not work.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #12

I just returned from a trip and I loosened the fuel cap before I left. The genset ran for over 2 hours while underway with no problem. Does this mean I should replace the fuel cap or look into the venting issue further?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #13

Quote:
I just returned from a trip and I loosened the fuel cap before I left. The genset ran for over 2 hours while underway with no problem. Does this mean I should replace the fuel cap or look into the venting issue further?
Fuel caps are cheap.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #14

Quote:
You may be able to fix the vent on your existing cap. If not be sure to get a venting cap.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator