Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #1

We just bought a 27 ' Georgie Boy with a 4kw Kohler generator. I can't prime the fuel into the generator for starting. I tried holding the stop button down for 30 seconds or so and no results. The farmer in us dumped a little fuel into the cylinder and it started.The plug was dry when it would not start. Everything seems to function OK and we are really happy to own a class A for the first time.Thanks for your help...Tom/Karen

tomkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi and welcome to iRv2.com.

Once you primed it the farmer way, does it now start as expected? Or does it require manual priming each time?

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
We had a Genrac with the same symptoms a couple of years ago... Replaced the fuel pump and that solved the problem. It could also be a fuel filter.
Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
first things first, the gennies fuel pickup is usually high in the fuel tank, so the gennie can't use all the gas and leave you stuck.

If there is less than 1/4 tank of gas, the gennie won't run.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club
We had a Generac genset in our other MH. I was really difficult to start from inside the cab. I found that if I started it at the generator it's self I was able to prime it and start it OK. Once it was running, it would be OK until I made a turn, like an off-ramp and then it would quit. Your problem may indeed be a fuel pump lack of pressure, or as stated, not enough in the tank.
Jack & Kay
2015 Allegro 32CA Ford Chassis
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
Thanks for the help about the generator.We have a trip planed for this week and we will have electric hook up. We'll try the filter/fuel pump when we return. This weekend will be spent removing 14 years of oxidation.So far so good.The sides were easy however the nose and tail are a bear.Thanks again,Tom/Karen
Old 06-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Suspect list in flow order:
Fuel level in tank, Minimum 1/4 tank may need much more depending
Fuel line, Has it gotten religion (Become holy, or holey)
Fuel filter: Clogged, good.

So far you can remove the line (inlet) on the fuel pump put a sucker on it (Fuel transfer hose with bulb hand pump or other device like that) and see if you cn suck fuel out of the tank.. If NO, then try the filter inlet, If still NO you have narowed it down (if yes replace filter)

Next comes the pump itself.. I'm sure you know how to test that.

Then we get into seriious testing.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
Thanks again.We will get the motor home back from the Pa state inspection tonight. We'll get it figured out with the help that we have gotten. Good people camp.Thanks!! Tom/Karen
Old 06-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your 4Kw Onana is a KJ series the electric fuel pump is prone to failure
While holding the stop button down, do you hear the ticking of the pump?
If not you are out $80.00 for a new pump
Mine lasted <25 hours - yes it was under "warranty" they said I needed to take the rig to the service center 120 miles away, leave it for a few days and then pick it up. The fuel cost alone not to mention the time easily ruled out the "Warranty" response. I ordered the pump and installed it myself.

Please do not toss your defective Converters / Inverters / etc. in the trash
KJINTF is offline   Reply With Quote