Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #1

Generator AGS

We have a 2004 Monaco Camelot with Onam 7500 Quiet Diesel generator and a Xantrex 2012 inverter/charger with RC7GS remote.

What do I need to install or do to make the generator start automatically to keep the dog cool in case of power outage?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Doesn't your generator have a control panel for some form of "AGS" (Auto Generator Start). I would expect Monaco to have installed one and Onan is the best so you should have one. Mine allows me to set autostart based on interior temp or battery voltage.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:22 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you don't have an Energy Command 30 already installed, then that is what I would recommend you get installed. Yes it cost a good bit , but worth the money in the long run. But I would have thought there should have already been one installed in a high end MH.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:37 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csbaer View Post
We have a 2004 Monaco Camelot with Onam 7500 Quiet Diesel generator and a Xantrex 2012 inverter/charger with RC7GS remote.

What do I need to install or do to make the generator start automatically to keep the dog cool in case of power outage?
According to the manual for your remote all you need to do is program it for your generator model, set up the parameters and turn it on.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #5

My remote does not apparently allow temperature as a trigger to activate the ags.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:10 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Temperature should not be one of the choices. Temperature is what you set the control for the AC. Now wait a minute, I have more to say.
Now we are going to do Boolean algebra:
The AGS would be set for loss of shore power and battery voltage being so low.
Loss of shore power and the AC on and calling for cooling (this is your temperature equivalent)
Loss of shore power and battery not topped off and getting close to Quiet hours.
Hopefully this will clear it up for you>
Old 07-11-2018, 04:54 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with SuperGewl. I have the Magnum Energy inverter and AGS and it does allow you to set a temp threshold to trigger AGS if shore power fails. However, what really happens is the AGS starts the generator whenever the AC is on and shore power is interrupted.

Suggest you use the remote to set it up, turn on one of your AC units and then disconnect the shore power. See what happens.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #8

Temperature should not be one of the choices. Temperature is what you set the control for the AC. Now wait a minute, I have more to say.

Now we are going to do Boolean algebra:

The AGS would be set for loss of shore power and battery voltage being so low.

Loss of shore power and the AC on and calling for cooling (this is your temperature equivalent)

Loss of shore power and battery not topped off and getting close to Quiet hours.

Hopefully this will clear it up for you>

It doesn't work remotely close to the way you describe. It would take many hours for the batteries to get low enough to start the generator. Meanwhile the interior temperature climbs over 100. I hope you're not relying on it this way.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Our 2004 Monaco Signature came from the factory with a Trace Inverter, RC7GS remote, and a Ridgecreek AGS that allowed auto gen start based on temperature. The white thermostat portion of the Ridgecreek AGS is above the front Duo Therm A/C thermostat. This inside portion of the Ridgecreek AGS has an Off/Auto switch and a round temperature setting dial. The other portion (small black box) is in the basement next to the inverter. Look to see if you have these in your coach.

If you do not already have a Ridgecreek AGS, I'm not sure they are still available.

You should be able to install a Magnum non-networked AGS controller and temperature probe. The difficult portion is locating the generator control wiring.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Our 2004 Monaco Signature came from the factory with a Trace Inverter, RC7GS remote, and a Ridgecreek AGS that allowed auto gen start based on temperature. The white thermostat portion of the Ridgecreek AGS is above the front Duo Therm A/C thermostat. This inside portion of the Ridgecreek AGS has an Off/Auto switch and a round temperature setting dial. The other portion (small black box) is in the basement next to the inverter. Look to see if you have these in your coach.

If you do not already have a Ridgecreek AGS, I'm not sure they are still available.

You should be able to install a Magnum non-networked AGS controller and temperature probe. The difficult portion is locating the generator control wiring.
Vito, Thanks for the info. Your system is most like mine with the exception of your having the Ridgecreek AGS, and I do not. I found a photo of one online and it looks nearly identical to the Magnum standalone AGS. I can't determine how the Magnum AGS module (should I install one) detects the absence of shore power before starting the generator. Maybe it does not.

I suppose I could just set the Magnum to start at 80 degrees. Assuming my coach ac is normally set to 72 degrees on shore power, power goes out and temp climbs to 80 before Magnum kicks generator on. Am I near correct how it's supposed to work?
Old 07-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Xantrex also makes an AGS module (separate from the RC7GS) - my coach had it and it handles both low voltage and a/c demand. Maybe more compatible to wire in with the existing Xantrex remote & inverter??
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The Ridgecreek AGS looks almost identical to the Magnum. Even the wire color code is the same because the guy that designed it is one of the founders at Magnum.

I installed a new Magnum Hybrid inverter along with a Magnum AGS. Probably more time/money than you wanted, but it's an option.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/swapping-a-trace-xantrex-inverter-for-a-magnum-in-a-2004-monaco-signature-386835.html

vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
The magnum does detect shore power. And you can program it to turn on the genset at a specific temp, or (as I do) via an external input which tiffin thoughtfully wired to the A/C compressor on wiring circuit.

I use mine exactly as the original poster mentioned. So long as shore power is on, no AGS. But if you flip the breaker (as a test) it will quickly light off the generator. That "external trigger" option is the key, and that makes the temp setting in the AGS options pretty much meaningless.

And there is the mentioned option for AGS when house batteries reach some threshold...

Tags
generator