Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #1

Unhappy Generator clicking noise

Hello all,
We purchased our motor home exactly a year and so far we love making weekend trips here and there in south florida. Few weeks ago I notice a clicking noise from the generator (pump priming) and then the generator shut off on its own. We park the Rv and I restarted the generator without any problem. Fifteen minutes later clicking started and the generator shut off after an hour.
I took the Rv to a generator shop and they told me that it is not the generator or a bad pump it is your fuel line letting air in? Ok so I called fleetwood and they referred me to Ford. After talking to Ford they send me back to the dealer and the dealer told me to contact fleetwood and on and on..
Mean while I looked at my fuel line and I don't see any cracks or bends as far as I can see. I connected the generator to a gas container and NO clicking from the pump. In fact I ran the generator for four hrs three day ago and no clicking. So I thought may be the connection tube to the generator was loose and now the problem was solved. Not really I found out if I run the Rv engine the clicking starts after 15 minutes again And I shut off the Rv engine the clicking goes away. So my problem of clicking and generator shutting off is only when the Rv is running?
Gas is more than 3/4 full, oil is good batteries good. The unit is going to be exactly one year tomorrow. We canceled our trip this weekend because of it. I am wondering if any one has had such an issue before.
Should the gas tank be dropped to ? ?
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2015, 05:22 PM   #2

The generator is Rv QG 4000 Onan

Old 05-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #3

Did you go ahead and replace the fuel hose? You may have a issue with the hose collapsing rather than a crack, or maybe you are pulling a vacuum on the fuel tank when the RV engine is running that the wimpy generator fuel pump can't overcome.

Is your gas tank slow to fill?
Old 05-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #4

The fuel line is about 10 inches before it connects to a metal tube and I can see it easily. I also put a wet towel around it to see if that would help incase of a hot gas coming in to cool it a bit?
I would say normal fill on the tank may be a bit slow. I did open the cap to see may be the vent in the cap is not allowing air in. I heard a big air release but the clicking didn't go away.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:20 PM   #5

have you checked the genny fuel filter?
Old 05-23-2015, 06:35 PM   #6

The filter and pump were checked by the generator shop. Also in the shop the engine was not running so when I came in to the bay they heard the clicking but after that it didn't click for them until I got on the road to come home. My clicking is happening when I'm driving or engine idling so far??? This afternoon I had the generator running for least three hours with the A/C and no noise. I turned on the motor coach and within 15-20 minutes constant clicking. I open the gas tank and another big air noise. I don't know it was sucking in air or letting gas out. It is a pretty hot afternoon in south florida.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You are creating a vacuum . Cap needs replaced or vent hole cleaned or enlarged.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #8

I have the same gen/RV as you. Mine gen acted that same way when it got hot. A shrouded vent in the compartment cured it. I also re-piped the exhaust so it doesn't run under the gen (as shown)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OnanGen 003.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	95148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Storm Gen 002.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	95149  

Old 05-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #9

Vacuum and heat. I think I have both issues. I notice when opening gas cap a gush of air sucks in so I left the gas cap open. I looked under and noticed the large rubber hoses, one on each end of a metal hose going to the tank also is collapsed possibly due to suction forces. I tried to straighten them but they are going back to the collapsed shape. Honey bagger was on point. I left the cap open but clicking didn't stop completely ??
I do agree with Idahostr10 also. The heat around the unit is unbelievable (When it got dark last night you could see the exhaust connection to the engine was glowing red). I did leave the door open when it started to click but it didn't stop the clicking. Gas cap open and the door open reduce the clicking a lot . I would defiantly do the modification .
I guess once it starts clicking it is hard to make it go away completely ? until it cools off completely or the vacuum goes away?
I'll run it today with the door open and gas cap open from the start?
I like the Modification a lot .
Old 05-25-2015, 10:44 AM   #10

RV THERE....Fleetwood (Bryan Gaughan) sent me the parts while my HM was under warranty. I had to explain my situation here as I have no trust in the local dealer to perform the modification. I believe you could buy the parts from them if you had to.

Bringing or forcing fresh cool air in the gen. is the answer in my view. I also insulated the fuel line.

Also use the best oil you can....I use HPS Royal Purple 15w-40 full synthetic.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:59 AM   #11

Thanks IdahoSRT10, When I called Fleetwood they told me to wait and they'll call the dealer for me. I spoke to them 3-4 days before my warranty due date.
I saw your insulations around the gas tubes( great idea). Rerouting the exhaust should not to hard. It looks like I can loosen it and turn it counter clockwise and cut out the excess sticking out. I'll give them few more days and I'll call them again.
I may need a new gas cap? Every time I run the generator and the engine I create that loud suction noise. I don't know if that is normal.
This morning I ran the generator and the Rv engine with the generator door open(don't know if that is letting enough cool air in) and the gas cap open. The clicking started After 1.5 hour(instead of 15-20 minutes) and it was intermittent. I shut off the engine and the clicking stopped.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV THERE View Post
Thanks IdahoSRT10, When I called Fleetwood they told me to wait and they'll call the dealer for me. I spoke to them 3-4 days before my warranty due date.
I saw your insulations around the gas tubes( great idea). Rerouting the exhaust should not to hard. It looks like I can loosen it and turn it counter clockwise and cut out the excess sticking out. I'll give them few more days and I'll call them again.
I may need a new gas cap? Every time I run the generator and the engine I create that loud suction noise. I don't know if that is normal.
This morning I ran the generator and the Rv engine with the generator door open(don't know if that is letting enough cool air in) and the gas cap open. The clicking started After 1.5 hour(instead of 15-20 minutes) and it was intermittent. I shut off the engine and the clicking stopped.
I also have a suction on the main fuel cap when removed but it doesn't seem to cause any problems. I insulated the first 6' of fuel line will foil backed insul. material. (all the way to the carb.) I used 8' of 5/8" heater hose split over the fuel line as insulation from that point on.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:02 PM   #13

Quote:
If you're sure your fuel lines are good (not sucking air) then it's likely a failing fuel pump. I currently have this same issue with mine (Onan 6500 NH), and have done EVERYTHING you've described. Ran it with the gas cap off, from a gas can sitting next to the generator, replaced all the rubber lines, blew the line out with compressed air, etc. If it sits for more than a week it will "lose its prime" (for lack of a better term). If I let it run for a bit from a gas can, it seems to re-prime itself and will sometimes run for hours off of the main fuel tank....and sometimes not. The tell-tale sign is the loud clacking from the fuel pump. It will sometimes recover, other times it won't. I finally bit the bullet and got a new fuel pump. It arrived in the mail today. I'll probably pop it in tomorrow afternoon - I'm hoping it solves the problem.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Hello all,
We purchased our motor home exactly a year and so far we love making weekend trips here and there in south florida. Few weeks ago I notice a clicking noise from the generator (pump priming) and then the generator shut off on its own. We park the Rv and I restarted the generator without any problem. Fifteen minutes later clicking started and the generator shut off after an hour.
I took the Rv to a generator shop and they told me that it is not the generator or a bad pump it is your fuel line letting air in? Ok so I called fleetwood and they referred me to Ford. After talking to Ford they send me back to the dealer and the dealer told me to contact fleetwood and on and on..
Mean while I looked at my fuel line and I don't see any cracks or bends as far as I can see. I connected the generator to a gas container and NO clicking from the pump. In fact I ran the generator for four hrs three day ago and no clicking. So I thought may be the connection tube to the generator was loose and now the problem was solved. Not really I found out if I run the Rv engine the clicking starts after 15 minutes again And I shut off the Rv engine the clicking goes away. So my problem of clicking and generator shutting off is only when the Rv is running?
Gas is more than 3/4 full, oil is good batteries good. The unit is going to be exactly one year tomorrow. We canceled our trip this weekend because of it. I am wondering if any one has had such an issue before.
Should the gas tank be dropped to ? ?
Thanks
OK guess what? Mine is now doing the same thing as you described above! The clicking goes almost completely away when I turn off the RV engine. The gen runs but clicks in the fuel pump area. Must be related to the suction on the main fuel take with the RV engine running. ( I ordered a new airtex Fuel pump/filter anyways as some say its better than oem)
Airtex E11007 pump, Onan fuel filter 149-2457 both for $45 @ Amazon.

Tags
generator, noise