Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2016, 07:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
oakcreekeric
If your generator exhaust system is installed correctly and is working correctly you can confidently sleep at night while your generator is running... without adding anything.

However if the generator exhaust system on your coach is bad no add on "gizmo" will fix it.

Mel
'96 Safari
This is about respect for others around you. Sure you could shut a window or two to keep fumes out of your camper but what about the folks next to you who went to bed earlier with a window open? These fumes are deadly or at the least can make someone very ill.
In my opinion the exhaust stacks should be mandatory anywhere you run your generator. They should be standard equipment on every unit sold with a built in generator.
Even portable generators can be deadly if someone doesn't have common sense where they point the exhaust outlet.
Lynn

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2016, 06:07 AM   #30

Quote:
nothermark
Wouldn't simply moving your RV to a boondocking site where the surrounding vegetation did not trap a cloud of exhaust abound the unit accomplish the same thing?
Mel
'96 Safari
Not much of an option either place.

FWIW a lot of state park sites are separated by brush hedge rows. The other place was similar but was a show and I had one of the few sites available. The Gen Turi made the sites usable. Otherwise I would have been in trouble. IMHO well worth the $100 give or take to have the option of those places. It sure beats sitting in the middle of a big open field hoping for a breeze.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:57 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
Aside from cost, if the room is available, why don't RV manufacturers run the generator exhaust up to the roof? I have plenty of room between my back wall and rear cap. If heat is an issue, can the pipe be insulated?
Crankshaft
Methinks that RV manufacturers don't run the generator exhaust up to the roof is because it is simply NOT necessary... (and because if/when an exhaust pipe run up to the roof between the back wall and rear cap deteriorates or otherwise fails it could be deadly).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 03-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #32

Quote:
Crankshaft
Methinks that RV manufacturers don't run the generator exhaust up to the roof is because it is simply NOT necessary... (and because if/when an exhaust pipe run up to the roof between the back wall and rear cap deteriorates or otherwise fails it could be deadly).
Mel
'96 Safari
It could be deadly. So could your exhaust into my window.
Better you than me.
Some folks just don't get it.
Lynn
Old 03-06-2016, 07:51 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Better you than me.
Lynn
LETMGROW
Not to worry.
Since I never allow my generator exhaust to get into anybody's windows I can assure you that my generator exhaust will never get into yours.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 03-06-2016, 07:52 AM   #34

The Gen-Turi is great! If you tailgate at football games as we do at University of Florida and else where, you are required to have one or you are not allowed to run your generator. If they catch you they ask you to leave. Pretty strick at UF.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:16 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Better you than me.
Lynn
I don't think Mel S likes the whole GenTuri idea. Personally I think they're great and especially good for an Aqua Hot which seems to be used much more than a generator in campgrounds.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:27 PM   #36

Generator Exhaust

We have the system with the extension tubes (Outlaw with a 13'1" roof) to get the exhaust level way above our roof line (we can even use our Fantastic Fan without issue). We tailgate frequently and the system has been great. All to often others run their gens with nothing to pull the exhaust away from others around them or themselves. We hear their co2 alarms all the time. Very inexpensive for the safety the system provides.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #37

Agree with using Gen Turi but find the the price of the Comm model to be a bit steep--last time I checked at CW, price was north of $150. Built a couple DIY vents from electrical conduit==steel elbow with grey PVC works ok for cooler climates like Quartzsite but use down-spout for venting thru wall while in storage at the barn in Texas.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:51 PM   #38

One thing still legal in America, I hope forever, is for each consumer to spend there $$ as they feel fit.

Want to buy a GenTuri for your generator, Aqua/Hydro Hot - do so.

Don't want to buy one, don't.

Mel S has shared his opinions, and others have too...

Me? Don't have one now, but it's on my list. And due to my Hyro Hot emptying on my patio, I suspect I'll use it in this location (with adapter) more so then my generator. (Very seldom run the generator, due to locations we stay... Probably run it 95% + of the time while traveling for AC. But sure understand the 'packing them in' at rally statements, as well as I see quite a few of them at places like Nascar events.)

I see no downside to having one, and in the overall costs of RV'ing, and the added safety (And sorry Mel S, as with my also liking Michelin tires too, I do see this as a safety advantage!) - it's a small cost item. So why not?

Best to all, and do your own research, and make your own decisions - as it is OK to do so!

Travel safe, have fun,
Smitty
Old 03-06-2016, 10:29 PM   #39

I hadn't thought of this before as we have hookups 99% of the time, but we r going to family reunion this year where there will be several rv's packed in closely and I will need to run gen 24/7...I'm ordering one now.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:45 PM   #40

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I just made an adaptor to I can attach the Genturi to the Aqua Hot exhaust. None of the included adaptors would fit the AH exhaust pipe.

I only have one since we rarely camp in sites/places where we have to use the genet. I got the Genturi primarily for the AH. However, if someone stays in close quarters in places where you are off grid, using both the generator and AH, you would need two to be kind to your neighbors.
Our AquaHot exhaust is under the slide so I'd have to do some "plumbing" to use one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:52 PM   #41

That's really the deal. Most of us do not automatically pull out the Gen Turi every night. OTOH we got ours for a Good Sam rally and have used it several times since when we were in places where we needed it. The rest of the time we have power or are in a spot where it is not necessary.

Just for grins a quick search shows Home Depot ship to home free as the low cost winner at $120.53.

The first installation takes time and tools. After that it's a 5 minute pull it out , slip the pipe over the adapter, put in the pin, slip on the second pipe and clip the straps and done.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:50 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
One thing still legal in America, I hope forever, is for each consumer to spend there $$ as they feel fit.
Want to buy a GenTuri for your generator, Aqua/Hydro Hot - do so.
Don't want to buy one, don't.

Mel S has shared his opinions, and others have too...
Me? Don't have one now, but it's on my list. And due to my Hyro Hot emptying on my patio, I suspect I'll use it in this location (with adapter) more so then my generator. (Very seldom run the generator, due to locations we stay... Probably run it 95% + of the time while traveling for AC. But sure understand the 'packing them in' at rally statements, as well as I see quite a few of them at places like Nascar events.)
I see no downside to having one, and in the overall costs of RV'ing, and the added safety (And sorry Mel S, as with my also liking Michelin tires too, I do see this as a safety advantage!) - it's a small cost item. So why not?
Best to all, and do your own research, and make your own decisions - as it is OK to do so!
Travel safe, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77
I agree that the Gen-Turi generator exhaust system is a good product and a good idea.
I would would buy and use a Gen-Turi if I needed one ...(but so far I've never needed one).

BTW Michelin tires, which I once had on my coach, (but only for 3-1/2 years), are a different story altogether.

Mel
'96 Safari, 146k miles

Tags
generator