Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #1

I have a 2003 Scottsdale by Newmar on a workhorse chassis. When I travel from SD Ca to Phx Az (about 380 mi) my generator runs out of fuel after about 5 hours because the pickup tube in the tank is set in my opinion too high. Is there any way to tap into the fuel line or return line to get around this. The trip takes about 58 gal. of the 75 gal tank and 7.5 hours. I thimk the generator runs out at around 50 gal. A little over kill I would think. I could also drop the tank and add a couple of inches to the generator fuel pickup line but I thought tapping into fuel line would be easier. Any comments will be appreciated

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #2

I have a 2003 Scottsdale by Newmar on a workhorse chassis. When I travel from SD Ca to Phx Az (about 380 mi) my generator runs out of fuel after about 5 hours because the pickup tube in the tank is set in my opinion too high. Is there any way to tap into the fuel line or return line to get around this. The trip takes about 58 gal. of the 75 gal tank and 7.5 hours. I thimk the generator runs out at around 50 gal. A little over kill I would think. I could also drop the tank and add a couple of inches to the generator fuel pickup line but I thought tapping into fuel line would be easier. Any comments will be appreciated

Old 08-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Bruce,
It probably be easier to tap the fuel line; but then you need to always worry about how much have you used and will the generator run the fuel too low for the engine pick-up. Do you know how many gal. before the engine line sucks air. I don't think it would go to the bottom of the tank either.

Green lights and soft breezes.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Bruce H, welcome to iRV2.

I don't know if your idea would cause a problem with the fuel delivery system for the engine.

I'm going to link your post to the Workhorse Chassis forum for their thoughts.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:01 PM   #5

Thanks Dirk. I did have concerns of my idea effecting the fuel delivery. I will take your suggestion and ask the Workhorse forum.

Bruce
Old 08-06-2007, 05:33 PM   #6

The fuel pressure from the pump in the tank will flood the carb in a second.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:32 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce H:
I have a 2003 Scottsdale by Newmar on a workhorse chassis. When I travel from SD Ca to Phx Az (about 380 mi) my generator runs out of fuel after about 5 hours because the pickup tube in the tank is set in my opinion too high. Is there any way to tap into the fuel line or return line to get around this. The trip takes about 58 gal. of the 75 gal tank and 7.5 hours. I thimk the generator runs out at around 50 gal. A little over kill I would think. I could also drop the tank and add a couple of inches to the generator fuel pickup line but I thought tapping into fuel line would be easier. Any comments will be appreciated </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before they did that people who dry camped would run out of gas in remote locations and be stuck. Driving the backroads, dirt roads and such your MPG can drop to 2 or less so 20 gallons might only get you 30 or 40 miles.

Could you plan a fuel stop at 4 hours and enjoy a stretch of the legs while you were at it? Would be simpler then modifying your fuel system.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:42 PM   #8

I also have a Scottsdale. The book on mine says that you can run the generator until the fuel tank gets to 1/4 full.

75 Gals x 0.25 = 18.75 Gals

75 - 18.75 = 56.25 Gallons used to get to 1/4 full.

I believe that mine probably cuts out at around 50 gallons also. So Newmar did not set it as exact as you might expect.

My solution was to not run the tank that empty. For several reasons, I now fill up when I get to 1/2 full and that has eliminated the problem.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:11 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you tap into the fuel line, install a fuel regulator that will adjust the pressure down to 2 or 5 lbs or whatever the Onan people say would be adequate. I have used an aftermarket adjustable fuel regulator on my VW powered dunebuggy for many years. The last one I bought at Auto Zone for around $25. This is it from JC Whitney.
I think if it was my rig I would also add a 3-way valve so you could leave it set for normal fuel pick-up and switch it just for these long trips or when you run low in a pinch.

Having the gennie shut down when I have &gt;1/4 tank left has happened to me a few times thru the years too. Once you loose that AC in 100+ deg desert, it takes a long time to get the rig cooled down again. Not like back east in the humidity where the AC cools down the rig in 30 minutes.

Happy Trails,
Duner
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:10 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I've run into the same problem with fuel for the generator because we boondock alot. I've decided to quit worrying about it and I'm in the process of installing a separate fuel tank for the generator. I have plenty of room between the frame rails just behind the 75 gallon chassis tank and am putting a poly... (whatever that plastic stuff is called) which is an 11-gallon rectangular tank. It comes with its own gauge sending unit, fill setup, vent tube, etc. I plan on installing a transfer pump to move fuel from either tank to the other if the need should arise.

With my generator using about .75 gallons per hour this will be good for about 8 hours. If I need more the transfer ability will handle it.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce H:
I have a 2003 Scottsdale by Newmar on a workhorse chassis. When I travel from SD Ca to Phx Az (about 380 mi) my generator runs out of fuel after about 5 hours because the pickup tube in the tank is set in my opinion too high. Is there any way to tap into the fuel line or return line to get around this. The trip takes about 58 gal. of the 75 gal tank and 7.5 hours. I thimk the generator runs out at around 50 gal. A little over kill I would think. I could also drop the tank and add a couple of inches to the generator fuel pickup line but I thought tapping into fuel line would be easier. Any comments will be appreciated </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Based on my experience, and assuming that you are running the generator with both a/c units on while driving, your fuel consumption & generator cut-off point seem about right to me.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:29 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob (WA0MQE):
...I'm in the process of installing a separate fuel tank for the generator...which is an 11-gallon rectangular tank. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob,

Where did you find the tank?

Jim

1994 Gulf Stream
FWMCBigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote