Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2015, 05:43 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Generator (how long to exercise )

Hey, I am sure that this has been discussed before, I was checking the op Manuel and it is some what confusing . How long do you exercise the Oman generator and under what load. OP Manuel says two hours at least once a month under 1/2 rated power. Dealer said 1Hr a month while A C is on. I assume one should go by Manuel . Just seems like a long time (2 Hrs ? )
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I run mine 1 hour every 2-3 weeks under max load (2 ac's) then under no load for 5-10 minutes for cool down. my 2 cents.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I usually run mine for an hour. Two AC's, or two heatpumps, depending on weather.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:50 PM   #4

I run about 2 hrs, more or less, with two air conditioners on. probably not right on schedule but at least every other month.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #5

I think the two hour time under a moderate load (two A/C's) is to allow the gen to get up to and maintain full operating temperature to remove any condensation that could accumulate in the engine and alternator.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I think the two hour time under a moderate load (two A/C's) is to allow the gen to get up to and maintain full operating temperature to remove any condensation that could accumulate in the engine and alternator.
That is my understanding also. It takes time and operating temperature to evaporate all moisture from oil.

A side note to this subject;
My 3,000W portable genset gets an oil change every spring. Last oil change the last remnants of oil was a milky light brown color = water-in-oil, and it is stored indoors.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, didn't know to run for 10 -15 mins with no load at end. Makes sense!
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:32 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV Bum View Post
Thanks, didn't know to run for 10 -15 mins with no load at end. Makes sense!
I think 5 minutes to cool down with no load would be more than adequate.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:48 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV Bum View Post
Hey, I am sure that this has been discussed before, I was checking the op Manuel and it is some what confusing . How long do you exercise the Oman generator and under what load. OP Manuel says two hours at least once a month under 1/2 rated power. Dealer said 1Hr a month while A C is on. I assume one should go by Manuel . Just seems like a long time (2 Hrs ? )

I think Onan recommends at least 1 hour per month but I usually only run it for 30 minutes with both A/C's and the fridge on!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:38 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As we travel, we usually park for the night each night somewhere with no services. The generator runs about an hour to charge the batteries before bedtime. My wife and I both use CPAPs. The generator usually runs about an hour and a half in the morning to charge the batteries before we start out again to travel for the day. That's each and every day.

If we park with full services for an extended time, I usually disconnect from services after a couple of weeks, wait a day and then run the generator for a couple of hours to charge the batteries up again. Then I connect to services again.

When I disconnect the load from the generator, I usually let it run with no load for five minutes or so.

We bought our coach in 2008. We had a lot of generator trouble for the first two or three years. I think it was because the previous owner didn't use the generator much, and the propane system was all gunked up. With the amount we use the generator, it continually runs like a champ!

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:51 PM   #11

Humidity in the gen set is it's enemy . If you live in an area of high humidity , or park on dirt. The maintenance becomes doubly important.
I try to run my gen set after trips when I've driven in the rain, but not always possible if I'm pulling into a park when it's still raining.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That is my understanding also. It takes time and operating temperature to evaporate all moisture from oil.

A side note to this subject;
My 3,000W portable genset gets an oil change every spring. Last oil change the last remnants of oil was a milky light brown color = water-in-oil, and it is stored indoors.
One NEEDS to get all the moisture out of the alternator too. That takes more time, and the reason for at least 1/2 load. Takes longer than it would if you just had the engine. Over time, that moisture will corrode things in the generator if left in there.
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #13
HHg

My owners manual for my 10k Onan says 2 hours per month under a load. I always exercise mine as recommended.

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do one hour a month with one air conditioner. Unless have camped with using the genny.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator