Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #1

Generator issue

I have a 2001 Winnebago adventurer. Haven't had an issue with the generator until today. Hasn't been started for a couple months.I started the generator and it ran for about a min. tried to start it again and it would not start, just crank. hit it with starting fluid and it sort of tried to start. At this point I was not smelling any gas at all. Tank is almost full. I got a little container of gas and a 16' piece of 1/4 '' clear tubing. I sucked gas into the tube and blew it into the carb twice. Hit the start and it started and ran smooth. I thought I would just let it run for a while. It ran for about 3 min and died. I tried the gas thing again and it would start but not stay running. This time it would die almost immedeatly. any ideas

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2017, 10:26 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sounds like to me, you need to give the carb a good cleaning.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:31 AM   #3

Or you may need to replace the fuel filter.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:13 AM   #4
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcamper View Post
Or you may need to replace the fuel filter.

And/OR a fuel pump. You can replace both for $100. When was the last time you performed a scheduled PM?

BTW...
Put your MH information into your signature
Take a couple of minutes to fill out your signature with information about your motorhome (MH). This will really help in all future posts.
You do this by:
1) Going to the top of this page and click the top left tab named “User CP”
2) Look at the menu on the left and scroll down to “Settings & Options” and click “Edit Signature”
3) In that text box type all the information about your MH. Year, model, length, mileage, any aftermarket extras installed and so on.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #5

I don't think I have since I have had it. It hasn't been used that much lately. I have never had a problem starting it or it running until yesterday. I went out this morning and it started and ran for just under 3 min. Then it started sounding like it was running out of fuel. After it died, it would not start and the light on the start switch was blinking 3 times. I went to work and picked up a can of carb "sea foam". After about 4 hours I came home and tried to start it and it fired right up. I sprayed the sea foam and let it run. It ran just under 3 min then died again. Light was blinking three times again. Its like something needs to reset before it will start again.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #6

sounds like a dirty fuel filter to me, assumig there is one on your gen. Same thing happened to a buddy of mine on his van. We were on the road, started missing and died. 5 minutes later, it started up, ran for a couple minutes and died. We took the filter off, pushed a screwdriver thru it and headed to an auto parts store...
Old 07-17-2017, 03:18 PM   #7

I checked code and it gave me a 36 code.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by the57man View Post
I checked code and it gave me a 36 code.
I had a '36' code on my 7500 Diesel generator. I had just finished reinstalling it in the motorhome after replacing the oil pan. The PO must have locktite'd the drain plug so it was seized and I cracked the pan drilling it out. Long story on that but the fix was to fill the radiator, not the reservoir with coolant. It was an overheating issue for me.

That won't help you however as you don't have a liquid cooled engine on the 5500 genny. I have owned other motorhomes and even a small RV rental company for a few years and have swapped fuel filters, fuel pumps, fuel lines, and cleaned many a carb on those generators. The most recent issue was an air pocket in the fuel line. This occurred when a renter arrived to pickup the RV and the generator would not start. It was 80 degrees out and they were headed to warmer weather. I tried everything I could think of to get the generator started to no avail. A few days into their trip the air pocket released and it ran great the rest of the time.

I am sure it will be a quick and easy fix.

Good Luck & GOD Bless!
cpkleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:02 PM   #9

Thanks to everyone's help pointing me in the right direction. Turned out to be the fuel pump. A very good generator co in Sacramento, ca. told me the the Onan generators are almost indistructable but the weak link is their fuel pumps. He said they have a plastic impeller in them that, after some time, it swells to the point that it jambs. This doesn't happen until the pump gets warm. Which is exactly what was happening to me. It would start, run until the pump got warm and then stop pumping. By the way, the way they test it is to run the gen until it stopped and then open the drain on the carb bowl. If no fuel came out, 99% of the time it was a fuel pump. This test obviously would not work on a fuel injected gen. Again, in my case that's what it was. Generator has been running for at least 20 min with the ac on. Smooth as silk.

Tags
generator