Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2019, 09:00 AM   #1

Generator Issue

2012 Coachman Encounter
Was getting the rig ready for a trip and it started to get warm inside. Since I was only plugged in to 120 house current I fired up the 50 amp generator. Turned on the front A/C and everything was fine until I turned on the bedroom A/C. Lost power to the A/C's. Still had shore power but only 120. Nothing in the breaker panel was tripped or the 2 - 30 amp fuses on the generator. I also checked the 2 fuse on the inverter and they were good. It did trip the GFCI in the bathroom, but I reset that and everything is normal except the generator does not supply power to the coach. Where is there another fuse I should check?
BobandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2019, 09:08 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check the transfer switch.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:23 AM   #3

Did you physically switch OFF the generator breakers and then switch them back ON ?

Pull the shore cord, start up the generator and listen for the auto transfer switch to switch. That happens about 30 seconds after the generator starts.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandDonna View Post
2012 Coachman Encounter
Was getting the rig ready for a trip and it started to get warm inside. Since I was only plugged in to 120 house current I fired up the 50 amp generator. Turned on the front A/C and everything was fine until I turned on the bedroom A/C. Lost power to the A/C's. Still had shore power but only 120. Nothing in the breaker panel was tripped or the 2 - 30 amp fuses on the generator. I also checked the 2 fuse on the inverter and they were good. It did trip the GFCI in the bathroom, but I reset that and everything is normal except the generator does not supply power to the coach. Where is there another fuse I should check?
there are no fuses to check. Fuses are for 12 volt power. GFI is not an A/C problem. that is only for outlets within 6" of a water source.

Inverter has nothing to do with the A/C.

you have lost generator power. There are no fuses on the generator. There are two circuit breakers on the generator. You have tripped one. Turn them off then back on. should start working.

I am confused. You say you have a 50 amp generator. then you say you have 30 amp fuses. please explain.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I too suspect the transfer switch is the culprit. 1st air conditioner was operating off of your shore power not the genset.

Let us know what you find.

Good luck and safe travels!
Old 03-30-2019, 09:34 AM   #6

happened to me yesterday. two switches on the right front generator. 1998 5500 onan
scooter 750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I am confused. You say you have a 50 amp generator. then you say you have 30 amp fuses. please explain.
We have a 50 amp service to the Coach and the Generator is a 5500 watt Onan. With a 50 amp service chord, you essentially have 220 volts, but each leg is separated at the circuit panel so that there is only 110V (at 25 amps each leg) supplied in the coach. There are two individual 30 amp circuit breakers on the generator output.

If you have a transfer switch that malfunctions, it should cause the generator breakers to trip. I like the simpler, less expensive option of having an receptacle on the generator output and plugging the coach's power cord into that receptacle whenever you disconnect the coach from the campside power post.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
We have a 50 amp service to the Coach and the Generator is a 5500 watt Onan. With a 50 amp service chord, you essentially have 220 volts, but each leg is separated at the circuit panel so that there is only 110V (at 25 amps each leg) supplied in the coach. There are two individual 30 amp circuit breakers on the generator output.

If you have a transfer switch that malfunctions, it should cause the generator breakers to trip. I like the simpler, less expensive option of having an receptacle on the generator output and plugging the coach's power cord into that receptacle whenever you disconnect the coach from the campside power post.
You don't understand 50 amp service.
Some reading for you.

http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/50amp_Service.htm
Old 03-30-2019, 03:46 PM   #9

the transfer switch may prioritize the external power over the generator. Try unplugging the 120 external power, start genny, and run both ac’s
(be sure 20 &30a breakers are on and other major appliances are off....water heater, convection oven...

(my onan 5500 has a 20 & 30a breaker, yours has 2 30a breakers? ).
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
the transfer switch may prioritize the external power over the generator. Try unplugging the 120 external power, start genny, and run both ac’s
(be sure 20 &30a breakers are on and other major appliances are off....water heater, convection oven....
Never saw or heard of a transfer switch prioritizing shore power over generator power. Could be wired backwards, but that's not the way they work.

They often default to shore power but always switch to generator power, If it senses 120 volts from it, regardless of shore power.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #11

ah, just a guess based on what op stated, wierd that second ac would shut both off without throwing a breaker....I would still unplug and try again
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post

You do in fact have 240 volts at the main breaker in the panel in your coach. That's is where it stops. 50 amp shore power and 30 amp gen power. Yes, you have two 120 volt legs with two 30 amp breakers so therefore you have 30 amps available (not 25) when on gen power. GEN power is not 240 volts. (Usually )

Now if you have a newer mega yacht coach you may possibly have 240 volts available for your 240 volt dryer and your 240 volt induction kitchen!
Old 03-31-2019, 12:13 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Before you go and do all those things, because they are right.
Let's check the ATS lugs for tightness. Now before you do this you need to disconnect from shore power, shut down the generator, and open circuit the batteries. Remember safety first.
Why I say this is because it sounds like you have lost L2 coming in from the generator, which could be either L2 from the generator or L2 the output to the MH.
So find your ATS box and open it up. What you what to do first is an visual inspection, looking for melted wire coverings and or possible burnt ones. OH, yeah pull out your Multimeter and test to ensure there is no power also before the next step.
IF all looks good then tighten all of the lugs on the wires from the generator, the shore power cable, and the output wires to the MH. There should be 4 each and also the ground in the box to chassis ground (green ones on bus bar). If you have an inline surge protector also check it's ins and outs also. Same thing, all of the lugs on the wires.
Now that this is done, close the box and check the shore power cable end to see if there are any signs of over current, burnt marks or melted areas around the prongs.
If you found anything bad fix it first then go ahead and reset the breakers on the generator, ie trip them and then shut them again.
Start your generator up and give it about 2 minutes to warm up then turn on the main AC, wait a minute and then turn on the rear AC.
Oh and please let us know what you find.
By the way, the checks I just told you about you should do annually, Usually I do this when bringing the MH out of winter layup.
Those loose connections in the ATS can cause fires, so check them

Tags
generator