Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #15

Onan Marquis 7000

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

If these generators have not been used in a long time the brushes tend to stick and you get no power out. With the generator off open up the side access panel and look on the generator end by the airfilter. You will find a black plastic cover and under it is the brush block assemble. Very gently pull on the brush wires and make sure the brushes are free in the guides. They are spring loaded but should move up and down freely. Then start it and see if you now have power out. Also did you check those two circuit breakes behind the side maintenance panel?

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
The transfer switch should be easy to find, they are NEVER hidden because they are universally added towards the end of a coach build and are treated like an accessory.
They look like this
RV Transfer Switches
You will find it - there can be some significant voltage in there so be careful.
Here are your potential problems
1) generator is not outputting - check generator breakers test at the transfer switch there should be 120V coming in
2) transfer switch is not transferring - at transfer box test when running and not
3) panel switch (where the breakers are) has a tripped breaker - if this is the case the shore power will not function either
4) Inverter issue - if the above is all fine and you have an inverter check that it is outputting the voltage (most voltage goes here before going to the panel)

As inexpensive as most mobile RV repair guys are I bet this is a $50 service call.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #18

My Problem Was The Regulator

All of the above suggestions are good and they are the ones I followed when my Onan started and ran good but didn't produce 120-volts. Knowing that Cummins/Onan would charge me an arm and a leg if I went to them, I took a chance and purchased a voltage regulator from these folks:
Generator parts, Generac, Kohler, Onan | Kim Hotstart heaters, Sensaphone, Freeze Alarm, LG / LS contactors

Here's the direct voltage regulator link I used:
http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcar...ators-p-2.html

I hooked it up and have had electricity from my Onan ever since. I also replaced both breakers since they had been popping quite a few times.

Good luck finding your problem.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I believe a regulator for that model Onan is in the $300-$400 range. Lots of things need to be tested before you go there. Believe those brushes stick in the brush block when the generator is not used for a long period of time. It is a common fault. Sometimes you just have to take the brush block off and clean then and make sure they are free to move.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #20

ok I have alot of checking to do....and I will let you know what I figure out...You all have been very helpful...Thank you...
Old 06-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #21

where's the transfer sw?

My 88 allegro sw is under the bed. Bed is centered at rear of coach, and is directly above the sewer compartment. Gen is just forward of the sewer compartment. I have to lift the bed platform and hold it up like a car hood. FW tank is there too. I only found mine by accident, being a newbee!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #22

My brother has a 1990 Coachman Classic and the breaker box is located in a panel in the dinette bunk. It has a vant panel and above that is a solid panel that opens from the top, you can check and see if yours has this as well, there will be a main breaker in this panel if you have one.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
When your checking the brushes don't forget to check the slip rings, if they aren't shiny they could be oxidized.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #24

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Check the simple thing first, does your generator have an automatic transfer switch? If not then You may have two cords that plug in. One is for shore power and then when you want the gen you plug that cord into a box in the gen compartment or another. Also look on the files section of this site. I uploaded the service manual for the Onan 7k genset

4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator