Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
It's air cooled, so they want you to take the load off of it first and have it decrease oil temperatures before shut down.... I'd be nice if Onan had a way to rig up an oil-cooler.
I still dont get the theory here? Modern oils dont caulk and the oil temps cant be getting that high under load. (im talking gas gennys) Plus mine is an aluminum engine case and has its own ducted cooling system.

I run mine with 2 a/cs and everything possible and the RPM doesnt change much and call tell you from a recent oil change that the oil doesnt get that hot.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardy View Post
My Onan 10,000 Quiet Diesel manual recommends a 5 minute cool-down. My coach is an 07 so the gen is likely an 06, fairly modern.
whats the "theory" on the cool down?? Or is it a backend way to get out of engine failure warranty??

Old 08-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
When I went to the Onan factory school, they said the design life of the generator was ten thousand hours. According to Onan the number one reason for oil usage is shutting down the generator without letting it cool down. The load should be removed from the generator and the generator should be run about five minutes to cool down before shutting it down. If the the generator is shut down under load without being cooled down, You will have a dry start and the cylinder walls will scuff and cause oil usage.
Auto-start generators start and stop under load if you have it set to start if the inside temp get to hot and it starts to run the a/c. I was at a Onan brief at a Good Sam Rally and the Cummins Rep and Field Engineer said that this is not a problem. They did not mention anything about a no load cool down period...however it makes sense to me. I have a 6KW diesel Onan.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
I run mine with 2 a/cs and everything possible and the RPM doesnt change much and call tell you from a recent oil change that the oil doesnt get that hot.
I agree with you that modern oils handle the heat of an air cooled motor just fine.. Oils will coke if you heat them enough, but motors that have that type of heat (turbos) call for synthetic. The issue on cool down isn't the oil, I think it's to avoid heat-sink expansion beyond "designed for" temperatures and then the associated no-load cooling.

IE - run it at load and immediately shut it down. It'll actually get hotter for the next several minutes. Then it starts to cool. If you're already at the top end of the designed heat range, that probably isn't good for thermal expansion... Deal killer? Probably not, but not a great idea for long term wear..

I don't have an IR heat gun, but I can tell you that on my last trip the oil got hot enough to discolor the labels on the oil filter... It was 105 on the road, probably more than 120 in the generator compartment.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
I agree with you that modern oils handle the heat of an air cooled motor just fine.. Oils will coke if you heat them enough, but motors that have that type of heat (turbos) call for synthetic. The issue on cool down isn't the oil, I think it's to avoid heat-sink expansion beyond "designed for" temperatures and then the associated no-load cooling.

IE - run it at load and immediately shut it down. It'll actually get hotter for the next several minutes. Then it starts to cool. If you're already at the top end of the designed heat range, that probably isn't good for thermal expansion... Deal killer? Probably not, but not a great idea for long term wear..

I don't have an IR heat gun, but I can tell you that on my last trip the oil got hot enough to discolor the labels on the oil filter... It was 105 on the road, probably more than 120 in the generator compartment.
Sure... I can see oil temps getting to 180ish operating... then maybe 200ish aftershut down. I dont see the aluminum case retaining that heat long. In the winter I can almost keep my hand on it when running.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
Any damage to ac units when you shut them off to let genny cool down?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
When I went to the Onan factory school, they said the design life of the generator was ten thousand hours. According to Onan the number one reason for oil usage is shutting down the generator without letting it cool down. The load should be removed from the generator and the generator should be run about five minutes to cool down before shutting it down. If the the generator is shut down under load without being cooled down, You will have a dry start and the cylinder walls will scuff and cause oil usage.
Sorry for the dumb question(s) but I'm really new to this whole business.

1. How do you remove the load from the generator before shutting down? Does that mean hooking up to land power and letting the generator run as well or shut everything off in the RV before hooking to shore?

2. How do you do this when running a generator and having to stop at a gas station? I was under the impression that a generator had to be shut down before entering the station so are you saying I have to cut the AC 5 minutes before the station?

3. You went to the Onan factory school? Are you a tech or do they just give classes....
Old 08-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #36

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
IMO as a small engine mechanic a 'cool down period " is advisable.
You don't just turn the key off on your vehicle from 1800-3600 rpms do you?
No you've pulled into a "parking lot", so it is probable that your engine has run at reduced load for what several minutes before shut down.

Anyway, changing oil/ filter and exercising are top of my list to extend life of a gen set. I preach to my customers... oil is cheap engines aren't.

Follow your manufactures recommendations for the weight of oil to use.

Keith
Keith's Mobile Small Engine Service.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitha View Post
IMO as a small engine mechanic a 'cool down period " is advisable.
You don't just turn the key off on your vehicle from 1800-3600 rpms do you?
No you've pulled into a "parking lot", so it is probable that your engine has run at reduced load for what several minutes before shut down.

Anyway, changing oil/ filter and exercising are top of my list to extend life of a gen set. I preach to my customers... oil is cheap engines aren't.

Follow your manufactures recommendations for the weight of oil to use.

Keith
Keith's Mobile Small Engine Service.
IDK... which has higher oil pressure... 1800 or 3600 rpm? idle or low rpm is likely to starve an engine for oil than a higher operating rpm.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:09 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa&susu View Post
Any damage to ac units when you shut them off to let genny cool down?
On my coach when I turn off the a/c units they go through their normal turn off process and turn off.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
On my coach when I turn off the a/c units they go through their normal turn off process and turn off.

Sure wish mine did when I turn off power they stop now.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theluckys View Post
Sorry for the dumb question(s) but I'm really new to this whole business.

1. How do you remove the load from the generator before shutting down? Does that mean hooking up to land power and letting the generator run as well or shut everything off in the RV before hooking to shore?

2. How do you do this when running a generator and having to stop at a gas station? I was under the impression that a generator had to be shut down before entering the station so are you saying I have to cut the AC 5 minutes before the station?

3. You went to the Onan factory school? Are you a tech or do they just give classes....
1. It means removing the heavy loads that cause the generator to labor. The AC's, Microwave etc.
2. I have a hot water heater in my garage. it has a stand that is about 15 inches high. The stand keeps the burner off the ground in case of a gas spill. Gas fumes stay on the ground and unless you have a spark source at or near ground level it will not ignite the gas. I don't shut off my generator when refueling, because most of the time I refuel at truck stops and there are cars driving in and out all the time I am gassing up. If they don't cause the station to blow up, I don't think I will. 3.I went to the Onan factory school in 1993, when I became the Service Manager at the RV dealership.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #41

Not exactly certain for these little gensets... but the larger diesel gens I work with require turbo cooldown.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #42

The little single phase 5k gens we have don't have turbo... but every three phase 60kW on up to 1.5MW will.

Do any of your diesel gensets in your MHs have it?

Oh ya.. vegas39 OP.. that engine is way under-used for that rate of oil consumption...

Tags
generator