Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 05:50 PM   #1

Generator not sending power

Went to start the Onan diesel Generator and ran for about 45 seconds and shut down on its own. tried several times but would shut down each time about 15 seconds. I then started it up and quickly looked at the Xantex panel and nothing lights up so I'm not getting power from the generator. I also tried using 120 power as soon as the generator starts up and still nothing. Shore power works fine though.
dougwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Your generator has a circuit breaker on the nose of the unit. I'm guessing the initial starting and stopping tripped the circuit breaker. The circuit breaker is right next to hour meter and dipstick and coolant fill, right side as you face it from the front of the coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:59 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Any Codes ??
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:21 PM   #4

It takes 30 to 45 seconds, after starting the generator, for the auto transfer switch to change over. That time is for the generator RPMs to stabilize. Don't look for power inside before that happens.

Check you oil, the generator will shut down for low oil level. Your diesel also has a low coolant shut down. Check the coolant level.

Tripped generator breakers will not shut the engine down. It will still run but not deliver power.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
It takes 30 to 45 seconds, after starting the generator, for the auto transfer switch to change over. That time is for the generator RPMs to stabilize. Don't look for power inside before that happens.

Check you oil, the generator will shut down for low oil level.

Tripped generator breakers will not shut the engine down. It will still run but not deliver power.
This is true, however if the engine controller does not see the generator output withing voltage/frequency specs it will shut down the generator with a code, so the question remains to the OP:

Any codes?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:20 PM   #6

I made some suggestions of things to check and explained his not seeing power in the MH, right after startup.

Maybe he needs one of you guys to explain how to check for codes.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:35 PM   #7

Is your generator LP. Or Diesel ?
If Diesel?
You may be low on fuel.

All the Above suggestions are correct for the OP.

My Diesel 12.5 Onan has to run and warm up 60 seconds before the transfer switch provides
AC current to the coach.

To check codes on mine, I have no idea what you have ???

I push the primmer 2 times quickly to get a code reading. My unit is 20 years old so ?
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #8

Don't just rely on tank level ,let cool , remove radiator cap and make sure it's really full. If it's not fill and start it let warm and keep filling as thermostat opens it may take more.If the radiator was low and tank was not also replace cap soon. Not as likely but the tanks can get stained or scummed up and look like they are at the level the were at for many years.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:58 PM   #9

I had a similar situation last summer after an extremely heavy wind driven rainfall that lasted most of the night. We were heading for another park and the air became really hot and humid, too much for the dash air to handle, so I started the generator. As soon as the fault detector kicked over, the generator stalled out. I restarted it, but then had no power, so I shut down and pulled over.

At that point I checked it out as I had recently changed fuel and oil filter and flushed the coolant. Everything seemed fine, but the coach was drenched with water, so I suspected that storm had infiltrated the AC unit or genset. I started up, let it run for a few minutes and reset the breakers which had tripped. All was fine after that.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Your generator has a circuit breaker on the nose of the unit. I'm guessing the initial starting and stopping tripped the circuit breaker. The circuit breaker is right next to hour meter and dipstick and coolant fill, right side as you face it from the front of the coach.
Thanks Don, both the breakers were in the on position. I have never had this happen to me before?
Old 12-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #11

Hi Chuck, I have no idea where or how to check codes?
Old 12-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Check you oil, the generator will shut down for low oil level. Your diesel also has a low coolant shut down. Check the coolant level.

Thanks, the oil level looks good but I did not try the coolant. although I thought it would run cold longer than 45 seconds
Old 12-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Any Codes ??
Hi Chuck, I have no idea where or how to check any codes for the Diesel generator?
Old 12-07-2019, 09:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougwk View Post
Thanks, the oil level looks good but I did not try the coolant. although I thought it would run cold longer than 45 seconds
It may have a low coolant shut down, not just a over temp shutdown.

Tags
generator, power