Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-10-2011, 05:57 AM   #1
Generator Oil

I am planning to change the generator oil on our Onan 7000 (gas). It has approx 120 hours on it. The last change the shop used Onan 15W40 oil. I plan on using a major brand of oil, 15W40, but not Onan since I would have to drive about 40 miles from where I live to buy Onan oil. I do have an Onan filter which I will use. However, I am wondering if I should change to a synthetic or a synthetic blend. We don't use the generator much but I do follow Onan's recommendations and exercise the generator monthly. Since all has worked well so far I probably will stick with just the regular oil but will appreciate comments on changing to synthetic or a blend.

RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
I use dino oil in ours because, like you, we use our generator very little - mostly running it an hour or 2 a month for exercise as stated in the owner's manual.

Onan recommends changing oil every 150 hrs or once a year, whichever comes first. Since we use the genny less than 20 to 25 hrs a year, I'm always changing oil by time instead by number of hours used. I know synthetic will cut down friction and wear, but I figure why go to the expense of synthetic if the genny doesn't even get used that much.

2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been told Onan does not recommend synthetic oil. I always have used a regular brand 15W40 and never any problems.

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
I have been told Onan does not recommend synthetic oil. I always have used a regular brand 15W40 and never any problems.

Have always used Rottela 15-40, works for me and is an excellent oil.
2011 Newmar MADP 4344, Tow vehicle, 2012 Ford Edge Eco Boost, Roadmaster All-Terrain Tow Bar and base plates..Member of FMCA,Newmar Kountry Club, Good Sams , KOA,RV.Net, and IRV2.
dav-cle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another Rotella 15W-40 user here as well... You can pick it up at your local Wal-mart...
Duane, Claudine and Ashleigh Miller
Apex, NC
2009 Winnebago Sightseer 37L, Ford F-53 Chassis
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
My Onan / Cummins dealer whole heartedly recommended synthetic oil. Don't ever assume Dino oil is better, because it just isn't. This is especially true in a generator where the oil sits for indefinite periods. As soon as you run your generator for that first exercise cycle your Dino oil begins to breakdown and becomes contaminated with combustion products. Synthetic oil is consistent with its molecular structure and way less prone to loss of lubrication and viscosity. In addition to this, synthetic will protect at higher temperatures. Like those in motorhomes and generators specifically. Generators can be temperamental, give them the best.

I change mine annually with Rotella 5W-40.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use 10/30w. What Onan Recommends, I usually buy Motorcraft Oil. Not Dino oil, the Semi-Synthetic. Usually change it once a year, I have solar and really the only time I run the Generator is if I need to run the Air Conditioner.
We only have 225 hrs on it, in 6 years.
Buy it at Wally World.

If We Can't Haul It...You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
Remember "Without Truck's......America Stops" RVM129
"Take me to the Brig. I want to see the "Real Marines".
Major General Chesty Puller, USMC -
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Some posters may have missed the comment that this is a gas generator. I would do lots of research to see if it's okay to put diesel oil in a gas engine...the majority (that I have seen) say no.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
I use oil made for air cooled motorcycle engines. Since it is a air cooled engine.
Mostly ran just to exercise it. Only change it every 3 years. Oil still looks like new then running on LP. And still way under the 150 hours.
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I order the parts from http://www.cumminsonanstore.com/, no driving and you know what you are getting.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Some posters may have missed the comment that this is a gas generator. I would do lots of research to see if it's okay to put diesel oil in a gas engine...the majority (that I have seen) say no.
That is what is required by ONAN, Diesel Motor Oil.
Retired Navy Submariner
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F; 5 Star tuned; 2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
SuperGewl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #12
Onan Gas Generator

While I am new to motorhoming and have diesel genset I do have hundreds of hours on Onan 20 hp - 2 cylinder - 4 cycle air cooled engine. Mostly the CCKB model.

My experience with standard oils was that engine ran rough and had slower throttle response. My use of the Onan's was varying speed for use in Maintenance of Way motorcar on railroads. After several different oils I started using a synthetic Castrol oil for air cooled engines. Changed oil every 100 hours. My engines ran smoother, cleaner and performed better with the Castrol. The Castrol product is available in motorcycle shops.

Realize genset application is different, but engine concept is same. BTW the CCKB engine is cast iron. Folks with the aluminum block version had same results with the Castrol oil.
Pat - Walnut Creek, CA
2000 Monaco Diplomat 36DS
2008 Saturn Vue XE
cpat39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:22 PM   #13
Fleetwood Owners Club
I put Rotella in everything I own, it is one of the best oils on the market. It also save on having a bunch of different oils around. Doesn't matter if I'm changing the oil on my Victory, or my old Toyota pick up, I have a few gallons in the shop for it.

As far as filters go, try and get your filter crossed to a Wix or Napa Gold (re-branded Wix) I also try and keep a running record in a note book or even on the vehicle if you can find a spot to write it down of dates of service and what was done.
BobKomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #14
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a Power Tech 8.0 KW diesel gen. Has a Kubota 3 cyl engine, I run 15W40 in it, same as the main engine.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote