Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #1

Generator oil puddle

I have a 2004 37' Newmar Mountain Aire Class A with a Guardian RV generator by Generac, Quietpact 75. The manual refers to a 7.50047060 (manual revision 9/19/2003)
1. I Noticed puddle of oil on the ground under the generator after running it 45 min – 1 hour, then shut off. I’ve never noticed an oil puddle before, even though, when boondocking, I’ve used the generator approximately an hour a day.
2. Checked the dipstick; showed full
3. Removed upper “oil fill” cap; reservoir under it showed no oil
4. Drain hose and oil filter all look ok.

On pg 12 Fig 3.1 of the manual identified the oil dipstick and oil drain hose. In the text, paragraph 3.2.7 said “Remove the dipstick and fill the crankcase …” The dipstick cover is bright yellow and embossed with “oil fill”. But 3” - 4” higher is another bright yellow cap also embossed “oil fill” but no dipstick. This cap is NOT mentioned in the manual that I can find.

Question: what is that upper ‘oil fill’ cap? Do I need to be concerned about it? Where could that oil puddle have come from?

Thanks for guidance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #2

Have you changed the oil on it recently? Perhaps it was overfilled?

If it says to check oil with the one with the dip stick that's the one to keep using. Perhaps the upper one is used to put oil in, and lower one is used to check the level. Just a guess on my part.

Whatever the case can you see any oil on the generator indicating where it might have come from? If not perhaps the oil came from somewhere else on the MH and ended up running down and dripping below the generator.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:14 PM   #3

Could it be hydraulic fluid?
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #4

Generator oil puddle

I have the 5500 same generator in my Newmar Kountry Star. The upper cap is for filling. The lower is the dipstick.

I had an issue a couple of years ago with puddling and leaks. It was the oil cooler hoses. As it turns out, it had happened before and when the prior owner had it repaired they used the wrong hoses and the hoses leaked a second time for this reason. However, these hoses will leak and are a known issue. Unfortunately, to repair the generator must be removed. I found a place that knew exactly how to repair and they removed and reinstalled the generator without a scratch. I was very pleased with their repair and it doesn’t leak a drop now.

Make sure you have OEM Generac hoses and clamps installed if this is your issue. The use of substitute hoses is how I got into trouble with mine.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:20 AM   #5

My BIL had issues with a Generac the same way.... he took the unit, under warranty to several different warranty stations... in each case, the independent location kept telling him he was over filling the gen set.. he even had one of the service centers change the oil and run the gen set to see the puddle... in each case, Generac Warranty department would only let the service center go down one path in the repair process and would never allow it to be taken apart and diagnosed... it was always... its over filled, correct the oil level and leave it alone.... he finally sold it on Craigslist and bought a Honda...

Needless to say... he was very, very unhappy...
Old 02-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I have the 5500 same generator in my Newmar Kountry Star. The upper cap is for filling. The lower is the dipstick.

I had an issue a couple of years ago with puddling and leaks. It was the oil cooler hoses. As it turns out, it had happened before and when the prior owner had it repaired they used the wrong hoses and the hoses leaked a second time for this reason. However, these hoses will leak and are a known issue. Unfortunately, to repair the generator must be removed. I found a place that knew exactly how to repair and they removed and reinstalled the generator without a scratch. I was very pleased with their repair and it doesn’t leak a drop now.

Make sure you have OEM Generac hoses and clamps installed if this is your issue. The use of substitute hoses is how I got into trouble with mine.

X2!
Old 02-16-2018, 07:47 PM   #7

Is generac a subsidiary of Harley Davidson?

Tags
generator