Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2015, 08:02 AM   #1

generator power into unit

Have an 87 Winnebago Chieftain. Generator does not provide 110 power to inside of unit or appliances. Any ideas??
russrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2015, 08:03 AM   #2

Check the breakers outside on genny?? Then look for loose wires.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:06 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Do you have a transfer switch or do you have to plug either the shore power or the generator into a an outlet to power the coach?
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have a transfer switch, that is where I would start. (assuming you have checked the circuit breakers on the generator) Take the cover off the transfer switch and see if you have power coming from the generator. If no power from the generator. Go back to the generator and remove the cover and check for power to the breakers. If no power, the generator is not working. If you have power at the breakers, check the electrical connection at the generator compartment that connects the generator outlet line to the power line to the changeover box.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:30 AM   #5

87 Winnebago transfer switch

Any idea where the generator transfer switch is mounted on an 87 Winnebago Chieftain?
Old 07-06-2015, 07:41 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have no first hand experience with your coach, my fleetwood product transfer switches are mount behind the breaker panel. I you can find your breaker panel you will need to remove it from its mounting and attached to it will be a metal box with the transfer switch inside. That is if it is like the Fleetwood products.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by russrv View Post
Any idea where the generator transfer switch is mounted on an 87 Winnebago Chieftain?
russrv
A '87 coach may not have an automatic transfer switch.
When I wanted to use the on board generator on my '75 Minne Winnie the coach's shore power cord had to be manually plugged into the 30A receptacle coming from generator.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #8

Quote:
I have no idea where a transfer switch (if you have one) would be located on that MH. I would suggest looking in and around where your shore power connects to your MH, for a 30 or 50 amp outlet. If you find one, you have to plug your shore power cord into that outlet, to get power to the MH.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Some of the "older" Winni' s had a manual switch in the fuse panel that you switched between shore and Gen power.

LEN
Old 07-08-2015, 04:39 PM   #10

generator power into unit

Found a couple things:

Generator (130 hours) will start with switch on generator or dash but only stay running while you hold the switch.

Shore line socket and junction box under dinette seat only showing 60 volts with generator running

5 amp fuse keeps blowing out
Old 07-08-2015, 08:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Found a couple things:
Generator (130 hours) will start with switch on generator or dash but only stay running while you hold the switch.
Shore line socket and junction box under dinette seat only showing 60 volts with generator running
5 amp fuse keeps blowing out
russrv
See this pdf and/or call Flight Systems for Onan generator help:
http: //www.flightsystems.com/pdf/onan-rv-troubleshooing-guide.pdf:
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-09-2015, 05:12 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Onan generators (Do not know about other makes) are smart enough in many cases that if they do not produce 120vac they shut down.. I mean why run and burn gas if you are not doing your job.

You described what happened to a friend of mine a few years back..
You do not want to know the repair price.

But it might be something simpler

60 volts.. Measured hot to hot (Both generator outputs are hot,there is no ground and thus no neutral) or hot to ground (60 volts hot to ground is normal.. For reasons I wish not to type this AM. Same "Neutral" which on a generator is also hot.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:46 AM   #13

Those generators will act like that (run as long as the start button is down) if there's no oil pressure too.

It sounds to me like your genny is due for some service. They aren't too terrible to work on if your handy, and finding wiring diagrams and such not hard if you're resourceful.

Some small engine shops will work on them.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:11 AM   #14

Quote:
russrv
Here is a blog post dealing with the successful repair of a a generator which would only generate a similar low voltage: RVing: The USA is our BIG Backyard: Three R’s - Removing, Rebuilding and Replacing our Onan 6.3KW LP Generator
Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
generator, power