Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2015, 06:34 AM   #1

Generator Problem

Yesterday I started getting the MH ready for Spring and all seemed good except when I cranked up the generator and looked at the voltage monitor, it was pegged. Turned it off and got my multitester. Cranked it up again and checked voltage with multitester and it was exactly 150 volts! Gen speed sounded normal but I adjusted carb to slow it down almost to the stall point but volts remain at 150. I'm wondering if the control board is not providing the correct field voltage. Can I replace the board or should I take it to Onan? Generator is an Onan Marquis 7000 about 15 years old. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2015, 07:06 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
It's pretty expensive to guess & buy parts for ONAN-and just as expensive to take it to the wrong guy.

I would try hooking up a voltage meter (to see if the Onan gauge is right)

good luck

Old 04-08-2015, 08:26 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Onan has basically two controllers
One is the governor,, Which sets the speed.. Set it so your multi-meter,when set to Hz, is in th 60-61 range (NOTE A Kill-a-watt can also be used) no lond.

The other is voltage, which is controlled electronically by a regulator board inside the unit.. NOT by engine speed... I DO NOT KNOW if it is adjustabl but it is replaceable.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:32 AM   #4

Many of us have dealt with flight systems for help and repair of our generators. I highly suggest you check them out. They will help you troubleshoot through email if needed. If you can use a meter than you can probably do this yourself.

Troubleshooting and Cross-Reference Guides | Flight Systems, Inc
Old 04-08-2015, 10:15 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye38 View Post
Yesterday I started getting the MH ready for Spring and all seemed good except when I cranked up the generator and looked at the voltage monitor, it was pegged. Turned it off and got my multitester. Cranked it up again and checked voltage with multitester and it was exactly 150 volts! Gen speed sounded normal but I adjusted carb to slow it down almost to the stall point but volts remain at 150. I'm wondering if the control board is not providing the correct field voltage. Can I replace the board or should I take it to Onan? Generator is an Onan Marquis 7000 about 15 years old. Thanks
Their are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum for Onan gen sets

make sure you put in your model and serial number for them to help you out

Onan Generators - SmokStak
Old 04-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #6

Well, finally broke down and took MH to Cummings Onan in Birmingham. The voltage regulator was indeed the problem. They replaced that, brushes, cleaned sliprings plus a couple other things on carb and now it runs like new.
Cost a bit but I didn't want to turn it over to a mechanic who may have never seen one before. Now, let's move out!
Old 08-12-2015, 11:05 PM   #7

bauschman49

Here is what I posted on another forum. The expensive side of a Onan 7000 going bad and what could happen.

I just installed a new Onan 7000 in my 02 Winnebago today.
I had no generator troubles until 3 weeks ago when for the first time I pushed the starter switch and the gas motor stopped turning when I released it. My dash generator start switch showed no indicator light. My instrument panel for my RV did not light up as usual when I tried to start the generator. At the generator the fault indicator system said I had a fault code 15. This was not possible because that code indicates too large a draw on the generator, the generator I could not turn on.

I took it to a Cummings/Onan shop just south of Milwaukee (never again) and a young mechanic used fault code 15 and a two hour diagnostic electrical check to tell me the trouble was the controller board and would need to be replaced at a cost of $450.00 for board and $400.00 labor. 24 hours later when the new part came in I watched the mechanic install the new board because it did not require pulling the generator nor doing the work in the shop where I could not see what was going on. Bad move on Cummings part. The part did not change a thing.

The mechanic secured the help of an experienced mechanic who found my trouble in less than 2 minutes as I watched over his shoulder. He pointed out to the first mechanic that when the starter switch was pushed and he looked at the windings in the electric motor, they were not turning. He told the young mechanic the belt drive between the gas motor and electric motor was the trouble. The generator would need to be pulled and corrected at no small cost.

I stopped the mechanics at Cummings from working on it and went down the road with a broken generator to find another Onan mechanic I could trust. Oh yes they charge me $250.00 I had to pay for the 2 hour "diagnostic check", the one that led them down the wrong repair path. No discount for the two days I was parked at their shop, or the 360 miles to get there. I live in my RV, so I am not far from it as I travel through the states.

Lesson learned: My manual points out a 450 hr technician check of the slip rings and bushings, something I told the mechanic I needed. He by passed this important check which would have given him what the experienced mechanic found in 2 minutes, the trouble I brought the generator for. He also said there was no need to be concerned about the recent presence of oil around the outside of my generator engine (an item that turned out to be the cause of my trouble).

P.S. I found an Onan mechanic in Madison, WI. Once the generator was pulled from the RV it was discovered the belt drive between gas and electric motor was in many pieces. The repair could run $2-4,000, so I elected to start over. I purchased an RV 13 years old and the generator had not been serviced proper in the past. I will baby this new one with the experience I have now. I write this because I went through every test noted in all the previous correspondence and manuals and this simple test is often not mentioned and overlooked. A quick visual check of the slip rings, bushings, and coils in the electric motor (on my 7000 can be seen through the open vent slots in the motors outer shell), will give you a wealth of information.

I thank everyone who takes the time to help the rest of us as we enjoy the wonders of the road, with the great information you supply. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #8

Hi! We too are having generator problems. It starts and sounds just fine but none of the appliances or the A/C will run on it. I admit it sat for quite awhile but it was parked in such a way we couldn't get in and start it. Did you just trade your RV off or did you get a new generator? What would YOU think would keep it from not running the A/C or appliances? We live in norther Illinois - about 3 hours from Madison. Do you recommend the shop you took it to? Mrs. Phillips
Old 08-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPhillips View Post
Hi! We too are having generator problems. It starts and sounds just fine but none of the appliances or the A/C will run on it. I admit it sat for quite awhile but it was parked in such a way we couldn't get in and start it. Did you just trade your RV off or did you get a new generator? What would YOU think would keep it from not running the A/C or appliances? We live in norther Illinois - about 3 hours from Madison. Do you recommend the shop you took it to? Mrs. Phillips
Breakers all switched on?

ATS working?
JumboJet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPhillips View Post
The good news is; I believe most Onan gensets won't continue to run if they don't provide electricity. Would it be possible for you to plug in a house lamp or something directly to the genset?
Old 08-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have power when you are plugged into shore power? Take the cover off the gen set. It just pops off when you pull on it and check to make sure both circuit breakers are not tripped or shut off. Also check your main circuit breaker and the other breakers in you breaker panel inside the coach. If they are all ok, do you hear the thud of the transfer switch kicking over to generator power about 30 seconds after you start the gen?
Old 08-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mrs Phillips, I see you live in fox river grove. If you can't get it working and are going to take it to the shop in Madison, my residence would most likely be near your route to Madison. I would be happy to take a quick look at it for you before you head up there and possibly spend a bunch of money for what might be a simple problem. Let us know what type of gen set and RV you have and we can most likely help you through a few steps that might get you going without leaving the driveway.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:54 PM   #13

This is one of the nicest things ANYONE has ever offered to do for me and I thank you so very, very much. You won't believe WHAT was wrong!! I called my son in Georgia and he said "Mom, did Dad plug it in?" and guess what? He hadn't!! We plugged it in cranked the generator and the A/C blew right off the bat! He felt SO STUPID and he's really not - - - just a little forgetful now and then. I'm wondering, in fact how many more years we'll be able to "go camping". Missed our trip to Door County this year because the steps were stuck down and I had to find someone that would come and disconnect the motor for us and by that time, we'd missed our reservation. Anyway I thank you again for the generous offer and would LOVE to go camping with ya'll someday. Evidently you don't live too far away. (We have a Labradoodle and he'd LOVE to play with your dogs!) Mrs. Phillips

Tags
generator