Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2016, 09:56 AM   #1

Generator Problem

Hello everyone, I have a Tiffin MH with a diesel generator with about 500 hrs. Today while excusing the unit I turned it on snd started the front air and rear air. The unit was running for about 20 minutes when the back air made temp shut down, I turned it lower so the generator would have more of a load on it while running. When I did the generator kicked out. It will not not start when applying the start button I only get a clicking sound like its a dead battery or a solenoid or relay is open. Is there a safety disconnect on these generators somewhere? Any clues to where I should start would be appreciated. The unit fluids are all good and the filters are up to date, and I exercise the unit regularly.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 05:01 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like your house batteries are low (that is what your generator starts from). Since the generator actually needs battery power to run, you are going to have to get the batteries charged first. Start the coach and let it run until you can restart the generator. While it is doing that,make sure the charger is turned on so that when the generator does restart, it will charge your house batteries.

luvlabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:16 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paycheck View Post
Hello everyone, I have a Tiffin MH with a diesel generator with about 500 hrs. Today while excusing the unit I turned it on snd started the front air and rear air. The unit was running for about 20 minutes when the back air made temp shut down, I turned it lower so the generator would have more of a load on it while running. When I did the generator kicked out. It will not not start when applying the start button I only get a clicking sound like its a dead battery or a solenoid or relay is open. Is there a safety disconnect on these generators somewhere? Any clues to where I should start would be appreciated. The unit fluids are all good and the filters are up to date, and I exercise the unit regularly.

Do you have a battery meter? Check the voltage on your house batteries. As was previously mentioned, if your batteries are indeed low, start the chassis engine and allow it to get a charge on those batteries. Leave the chassis engine running while you attempt to start the generator. Once the genset is running, try stopping the chassis engine to see if the generator will stall out. If it does, check your converter. If you have AC power your converter should be running and providing 12v power to your house batteries. If its not, there is either a loose wire, open circuit, or the converter is toast.
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:07 PM   #4

Thank for the information. It started back up after a few hours. The batteries were all charged and up to par. I thought it was a temp limit or safety cut out. It does have a low oil and high temp cut out. But I think it was not shut down by the engine but a safety within the generator itself due to a overload. But it's working fine now.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Tripped generator.

Aside from your batteries, when an A.C. unit that is under load trips off be sure to wait at least 10 minutes before trying to put the A.C. back on line. The head pressure in the A.C. compressor is high and needs to be allowed to bleed down before a restart of the A.C. is attempted. Attempting to restart immediately overloads the generator protective breakers and will take it off line everytime.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:58 AM   #6

I have an Onan 6.5 k generator in a 1986 Winnebago I am getting 220 volts at all my 110 volt outlets, any idea what it could be ?
Old 05-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Generator Problem

Kenmor if no work has been done to the system then your transfer switch went bad or your plug has failed. But I would really check your transfer switch for a stuck relay.

Tags
generator