Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Question Generator Problem

Hey everybody! I have a 2002 Four winds Hurricane with a Emerald III Generator. The Generator is never used but I do start it up regularly to keep it from gumming up. The last time I started it Both of my T.V.'s and D.V.D. player got burnt up! They was not turned on both TV's started smoking. I was NOT connected to shore power. When the TV's started smoking I shut the generator off immediatly! I turned off the breakers on the generator and still start it regularly. It did not damage anything else in the coach. What caused this to happen? Will it Happen again? Is it something I can fix myself? Keep in mind I am about 2 hours from a Onan repair shop. I never use my generator I am a Rv'er who say's "if they aint no electric or water I aint going!" But I do like to keep everything in working order. Thanks for your help!!!

Hurricane29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 689
Would suggest that the voltage output from the Genny be checked for starters. And yes if it did it once then will most likely do it to another set also. Something is definately wrong.

RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Senior Member
trainsktg's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 154
Do you have a 50 amp house panel in your RV? If this is correct, then it sounds like you have an open neutral somewhere, either in the genset itself or the main wiring connection in the house panel. An open neutral in the main wiring will put approximately 240v across any device plugged in downstream.

If you have a 30 amp house panel, then as suggested above you've definitely got a problem with too high of a voltage from the generator.

Either condition will fry a load, even if it isn't turned on. As long as a device is plugged in to an outlet, there are many components inside that are energized whether the device is in use or not.

Here is a link I found to help you determine the exact service you have, and how to troubleshoot the problem:

RV Electric

The first thing I would do is look for the obvious. While disconnected from shore power and with the generator off, open your house panel and look for anything obvious like loose and/or blackened wires on the bus bars and breakers. Best of luck to you.

'99 Bounder 30E with V10 and '06 Wrangler tow (no more dolly )
trainsktg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Senior Member
wa8yxm's Avatar
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 23,945
I will agree with the suggestion to check voltage out

Go to your main breaker box, with the generator off and no sore power hook up a volt meter to the main breaker and to the WHITE bus.

Now turn off all breakers, main and branch

Start the generator.. Note the voltage.. I'm guessing you will read wy more than 120 volts, pssibly more than 240 volts.

If so the voltage regulator is shot and/or there are other issues.

NOTE: if an Onan is that far out of spec.. It is supposed to auto-stop.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Senior Member
trainsktg's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 154
Oh yeah...another thing. If you've already 'let the smoke out' of certain devices, they're toast. Unplug them before you energize the panel again, or they might catch fire.

'99 Bounder 30E with V10 and '06 Wrangler tow (no more dolly )
trainsktg is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.