Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #15

According to the fine print inside the battery converter lid, the converter is supposed to switch over to the 12v house battery when the shore power is disconnected. I don't think it is doing that.
REDEYE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDEYE50 View Post
According to the fine print inside the battery converter lid, the converter is supposed to switch over to the 12v house battery when the shore power is disconnected. I don't think it is doing that.

The converter is a power supply and battery charger. It only works when on shore power OR generator power.

It will have no effect in starting the generator, off shore power, when you need to start it.

The cable you bypassed or a component in its run, between the battery and generator, is defective.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The converter is a power supply and battery charger. It only works when on shore power OR generator power.

It will have no effect in starting the generator, off shore power, when you need to start it.

The cable you bypassed or a component in its run, between the battery and generator, is defective.
any idea why I have no power from the house battery to the 12v lights in the MH. Doesn't the house batt go to the convertor? Thanks
Old 12-23-2017, 05:10 AM   #18

Here are three reasons. There are others but you need to start somewhere.

1, The disconnect solenoid is not closing the contacts, when the switch is activated. That will block current flow to everything. You can jump across the solenoid with jumper cables, as a test.

2, The circuit protection device, required within a foot or so of the power ( battery ), is not passing current thru. Same as above. You can jump across it too.

The negative cable, that goes to chassis ground is not making a good connection. You can use a jumper cable from battery neg. to chassis, to jump that.

You could also run the jumper from the battery positive to the generator solenoid, to bypass that.

You changed the battery, did you remove the protective plastic caps from the battery, before putting the terminals on ?
Old 12-23-2017, 05:47 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I disconnected the house battery and the cable from the battery at the solenoid. I then took jumper cables attached to my truck and connected them to the solenoid (battery post) and to the ground. I pushed the starter switch and the generator started, thus eliminating a bad starter. I connected the house battery and the cable to the solenoid. Let run for about 15 min. Ran fine. I unplugged the shore power and the generator died. Would not start just clicked.Back to where I started. I have looked for a cut-off switch but cannot find one.
From this you obviously are not getting sufficient amp from the battery. I would assume that you are getting voltage to the solenoid per the click you hear. Have you tried jumping from the truck to the battery? In any event I would back track from the generator solenoid until I found the week spot. I would also note that the converter alone is not going to supply sufficient power to start the generator if the battery is in poor condition. The generator stopping when you disconnected the shore power is puzzling as the generator engine should only stop when switched of virtue of a mag ground. It is not running off a coil induced ignition system.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Here are three reasons. There are others but you need to start somewhere.

1, The disconnect solenoid is not closing the contacts, when the switch is activated. That will block current flow to everything. You can jump across the solenoid with jumper cables, as a test.

2, The circuit protection device, required within a foot or so of the power ( battery ), is not passing current thru. Same as above. You can jump across it too.

The negative cable, that goes to chassis ground is not making a good connection. You can use a jumper cable from battery neg. to chassis, to jump that.

You could also run the jumper from the battery positive to the generator solenoid, to bypass that.

You changed the battery, did you remove the protective plastic caps from the battery, before putting the terminals on ?
Are you talking about the disconnect solenoid and the generator solenoid the same.? Yes I did remove the plastic caps , LOL Thanks
Old 12-23-2017, 06:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
From this you obviously are not getting sufficient amp from the battery. I would assume that you are getting voltage to the solenoid per the click you hear. Have you tried jumping from the truck to the battery? In any event I would back track from the generator solenoid until I found the week spot. I would also note that the converter alone is not going to supply sufficient power to start the generator if the battery is in poor condition. The generator stopping when you disconnected the shore power is puzzling as the generator engine should only stop when switched of virtue of a mag ground. It is not running off a coil induced ignition system.
Thanks I will crawl under it when it quits raining and starts snowing! lol
Old 12-23-2017, 07:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Are you talking about the disconnect solenoid and the generator solenoid the same.? Yes I did remove the plastic caps , LOL Thanks
No, someplace is a house power cable is a solenoid switching it on and off.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
The generator stopping when you disconnected the shore power is puzzling as the generator engine should only stop when switched of virtue of a mag ground. It is not running off a coil induced ignition system.
Todays MH generators have battery ignition. When he shuts down the shore power, he looses 12 volts, from the converter, to the generator and it stops.

Portable generators use magneto ignition.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:02 AM   #24

Quote:
No, someplace is a house power cable is a solenoid switching it on and off.
could this be located in the batt converter called a transfer switch?
Old 12-23-2017, 08:11 AM   #25

No, it may be labeled the " Store/ Use " switch, " House Power " switch or maybe " Battery Disconnect Switch ".
Lots of folks call it the salesman switch.

Many of them are by the side door, near the steps or just overhead of it.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:12 AM   #26

I just found a Trouble shooting flow cahrt from Parallax Power for testing Converter DC output and testing Internal Transfer Relays. Stay tuned! lol
Old 12-23-2017, 08:42 AM   #27

Quote:
I disconnected the house battery and the cable from the battery at the solenoid. I then took jumper cables attached to my truck and connected them to the solenoid (battery post) and to the ground. I pushed the starter switch and the generator started, thus eliminating a bad starter. I connected the house battery and the cable to the solenoid. Let run for about 15 min. Ran fine. I unplugged the shore power and the generator died. Would not start just clicked.Back to where I started. I have looked for a cut-off switch but cannot find one.
It is hard to picture the complete situation form posts but the condition described above is possibly a dead battery. The battery needs to be in the circuit for the generator to run just as is true for the engine. It is possible to have a bad battery that checks good with a charger or battery tester. Some may doubt this but it has happened to me twice in the last forty years. Once I had to argue with the NAPA guy to get the battery warrantied.

I have a battery charger that will test for a bad cell before charging. Yes. the coach batteries might have enough power to run a light or two.

Not saying this is the answer just that it is worth checking. IMHO.

Q
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:41 PM   #28

BINGO!!!!!
After several more hours of thought, It seemed that there had to be a switch somewhere. So I set down in the driver seat and decided to start the engine. Right in front of me was a switch marked"ACC BAT--ON-OFF", I thought you dumba@#$+&^%. where has your head been!:
Pushed the switch, started the generator and all the lights work BINGO. After the new battery and solenoid switch and several hours of over thinking it's over. At least it was a learning experiance. Probably needed a new battery anyway and now I have an extra solenoid. Still have slight problem, Generator won't start remote from over the oven and the hour meter is not working. Probably missed a connection when I changed the solenoid. I will look later. Thanks for all the help from everyone and I wish all of you MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Tags
ems, generator, problems