Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Generator Question

Has anybody heard this before? Took the new MH for a shakedown run and the generator cut off a few times. Called the dealer and dropped it off on Monday. The Onan tech came out and ran it for two hours with no issues and could not find anything wrong with the unit. I was told that where the generator is located behind the motor that on extremely hot days the heat from the engine and coming up from the road could vapor lock the generator and it would cut off. It should restart but this is a design flaw from Fleetwood. Do other people have this problem??

troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #2

I would check all the grounds,make sure they are snug and tight. A lose ground well cause the generator to stop.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a pace arrow. the gen. is just behind the engine.(first compartment) Were you low on gas? Having 1/4 tank of gas can starve the gen. in turns and stops.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Full tank of gas. The generator is in the same compartment as the Pace it sounds like. I am picking it up on Monday and will just have to keep an eye on it I guess. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
What does Fleetwood have to say? If mounting the generator behind the engine causes the generator to overheat, sounds like a design defect to me. I would contact Fleetwood. If this is the case, they should already know about it.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't believe this is a engine heat problem. In the five years we have had our pace' We have been in bumper to bumper traffic at a snails pace. Our generator is in the same place as yours and we have never had this problem.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
What model genny is it?
Do you get a code after she shuts down?

First step would be to check for codes to determine the cause of the shutdown. It will all be in the troubleshooting section in the back of your manual. You do not have to make it fail again. Just hit "stop" it will blink the last failure code, hit "stop" again and it will blink the subcode. Look em up and the book will tell you why she stopped.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had/have the problem. It would run all day in the yard, but driving to PA last week, it cut off a few times, sometime after a few hours, sometimes after 20 minutes. Always while moving. I get a code 36, which is a shutdown with out a command to shut down. Like running out of gas or losing 12v. Coming home today, it ran the whole trip, 8 hours. So, I may or may not have the problem.....
Old 07-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check your generators oil level. If it is a little low it might be shutting off when you make a corner or go up/down a hill. Setting still it will have no affect.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #10

This may sound crazy, but our generator does the same thing if you don't leave the gas cap loose. Found it by trial and error. Have not had a problem since we have started doing this. Ours would also only do it when traveling. It would run forever if the coach motor wasn't running.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:12 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We are headed out this week on a 5 hour trip and will have to keep an eye on it. Thanks for all your input.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump Jumper View Post
This may sound crazy, but our generator does the same thing if you don't leave the gas cap loose. Found it by trial and error. Have not had a problem since we have started doing this. Ours would also only do it when traveling. It would run forever if the coach motor wasn't running.
I mentioned the possibility in another thread. I had noticed when I moved the RV in the yard and went around it while it was running, I could hear the cap trying to suck in air. This recent trip on the way home where it ran 8+ hours, I distinctly remember stopping for fuel (leaving everything running) and no noise from cap or when I opened it. Strange......
Old 08-03-2011, 01:24 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by taboky View Post
I had/have the problem. It would run all day in the yard, but driving to PA last week, it cut off a few times, sometime after a few hours, sometimes after 20 minutes. Always while moving. I get a code 36, which is a shutdown with out a command to shut down. Like running out of gas or losing 12v. Coming home today, it ran the whole trip, 8 hours. So, I may or may not have the problem.....
I have the same problem. In my case the problem only happens when I'm moving and running both roof a/c units. If I'm only running one I don't seem to have the problem. Mine is a gas Onan 5500.
cliff841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyrice76 View Post
Has anybody heard this before? Took the new MH for a shakedown run and the generator cut off a few times. Called the dealer and dropped it off on Monday. The Onan tech came out and ran it for two hours with no issues and could not find anything wrong with the unit. I was told that where the generator is located behind the motor that on extremely hot days the heat from the engine and coming up from the road could vapor lock the generator and it would cut off. It should restart but this is a design flaw from Fleetwood. Do other people have this problem??
Have you checked the gas filter on the Gen set if it is gas?

Tags
generator