Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Generator removal

Does anyone know a how i could find a video to watch on how to remove the onan generator on my 1984 winabego enandan to replace or repair the fuel pump? There isn't hardly any room to work on it in the compartment it's in and i would like to just pull it out and work on it on the work bench in the garage but it drops out the bottom somehow and i cant find any removal instructions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have no experience at this. Mine needs the 1,000-hour service, so I stopped at the local Cummings/Onan shop and asked for advice. They were happy to explain how to remove the generator, and estimated that it would take 5 hours of labor ($150/hr) to remove, service, and replace. They use a forklift. I'm leaning toward of paying for it.

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #4

Welcome to iRV2 Nateron.

I removed the propane powered Onan generator in a 97 Fleetwood Discovery once to repair the propane fuel system. It wasn't as hard to do as I expected. On my coach the front "bumper" unbolted and I was able to roll the generator out from under the coach using two mechanics creepers. I lower and raised the generator using 4 long bolts and just screwed or unscrewed the bolts to raise or lower it keeping the generator level all the way up/down.

On my present coach the front bumper doesn't come off so if I had to do to remove the generator I would have to raise the front of the coach way up OR dig a hole and drop the generator into it then back the coach out of the way!

Good luck and keep us posted with lots of pictures as to your progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator (1).JPG
Views:	223
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	87342  
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
I have no experience at this. Mine needs the 1,000-hour service, so I stopped at the local Cummings/Onan shop and asked for advice. They were happy to explain how to remove the generator, and estimated that it would take 5 hours of labor ($150/hr) to remove, service, and replace. They use a forklift. I'm leaning toward of paying for it.
Ya a forklift would be the way to go... I don't want to just start unbolting it and have it drop out on me or not be able to get it back in or something... Thanks
Old 02-28-2015, 12:03 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Welcome to iRV2 Nateron.

I removed the propane powered Onan generator in a 97 Fleetwood Discovery once to repair the propane fuel system. It wasn't as hard to do as I expected. On my coach the front "bumper" unbolted and I was able to roll the generator out from under the coach using two mechanics creepers. I lower and raised the generator using 4 long bolts and just screwed or unscrewed the bolts to raise or lower it keeping the generator level all the way up/down.

On my present coach the front bumper doesn't come off so if I had to do to remove the generator I would have to raise the front of the coach way up OR dig a hole and drop the generator into it then back the coach out of the way!

Good luck and keep us posted with lots of pictures as to your progress.
ok thanks, that helps, It's probably just going to be a tough job and that's why It hasn't been done yet. lol The guy i bought it from said it was only the fuel pump and i think so too but when i started asking how i'm supposed to get in there to replace it, he just kinda smiled and said it unbolts and drops out the bottom somehow. I got a good deal on it, so it's cool.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Our gas onan drops down on to a floor jack we put under it-just 4 bolts and a gas line and the wires to remove, and you are ready to drop and go!
Old 02-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #8

Dropped mine in my old PaceArrow. Used a motorcycle jack that I have. Was like four bolts,exhaust,electric and fuel line. Very easy.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #9

On my '94 Dolphin, I did something similar to Bigd9's method. I borrowed a motorcycle/ATV lift and slid it under the front of the coach on a piece of plywood.
I jacked the lift up to support the genny and took out the bolts. After lowering the jack as far as I could, I used the long bolt method to get it the rest of the way down.
Using the leveling jacks to raise the front enough to slide the generator out was the final step.

It should be easier for you than for my effort, since I thought I could get it out the front. I took out every bolt and screw I could find before I found the four that hold it up to the frame. Never said I was smart.

Good luck.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #10

Back in on April fools day in 2002 when I did mine people on various forums told me I was crazy for trying this. Nothing makes me try harder than for someone to tell me I can't or shouldn't do something! I got the bolt idea, actually a large diameter thread-all rod, from someone else who encouraged me to try it. I was going to use floor jacks, but I didn't know if the generator was heavier on one side or the other and the problem of where to put the jacks. The generator has a lot of cast aluminum parts and I sure didn't want to have the thing suddenly tilt over or twist around and hit something cracking the aluminum parts.

I got two unanticipated benefits after I removed the generator. One was I found a propane hose that was chaffing on a sharp edge. After I replaced the hose I started to look around and I found a wiring bundle that had rubbed the ribbed plastic completely through exposing the interior wires on another sharp edge.

Good luck, and I look forward to your report!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #11

Our generator sits on the top of the frame and bolts through from underneath. So, I would have to take the front fiberglass clip off to remove it. Our fuel pump, filters (oil and fuel) are accessed from a trap door on the bottom.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 02-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Rent a tranismission jack for a couple of days, they have adapters to fif any trans, they are about 3 1/2 " high drop it and roll it out.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #13

if its mounted on the side 4 bolts exhaust, fuel line, and 3 wires, 2 friends and a floor jack, i strongly advise you disconnect all batteries, and make sure fuel is shut off to genny, my 1995 warrior had a pet cock for that, good luck,
Herb.

Tags
generator, removal