RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2018, 08:40 AM   #1

Question generator repair?replace

I have a '03 Onan Marquis 5500 generator in my Winn Brave. Stopped working last weekend. Cummins handed me an estimate for repairs of $1,276 in parts and $2,276 in labor. This is not a rebuild. Just the repair and annual maintenance. They've also provided an estimate for a new unit $3,605 and $640 labor for installation. The new unit cost seem to be in the ballpark. But to repair, the cost seem very inflated. Especially the labor cost. Has anyone else had experience in cost charged by Cummins to be artificially inflated? Particular the labor? How difficult is it to drop the old unit and replace with a new one?

hygear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2018, 08:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't know about the parts cost since we don't know what parts, but the labor looks about "double" what any repair other than an overhaul. Find another repair facility...........

Mike

Old 06-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #3

Mike, I did a check on parts and they seem to be on par with the Cummins being about 10-20% more. What they claim I need in the big ticket items is a control board $415, coil assy $29, new rotor $540 and then the items for the tune up plugs, filter, belt, gaskets (about $250 and change). But that labor charge just blows me away.
hygear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:00 AM   #4

How much they charge you by hour labors ????.....here to make a round number is 100$/ hr.......i'm not a mecanic guy i do some small mecanic job for my self.....but 26 hour for an experimented mecanic guy whith all is secific tool in hand .....i find it very expensive !!!!!
shrekchatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:06 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrekchatou View Post
How much they charge you by hour labors ????.....here to make a round number is 100$/ hr.......i'm not a mecanic guy i do some small mecanic job for my self.....but 26 hour for an experimented mecanic guy whith all is secific tool in hand .....i find it very expensive !!!!!
I find it completely absurd...

This is the typical ploy to get you to replace rather than repair. Repair is just as expensive as replacing? Seriously? I would find another repair facility.

Dixie RV, my local dealer, charges almost $200 per hour for labor. How is that for ridiculous. The local Mercedes dealer is not much over 1/2 of that. Guess they are "special".
Old 06-05-2018, 03:44 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure about yours but I dropped our generator and replaced the temp sensor by myself and it was easier than I had expected. I think that you should get a price from someone else. Good luck
banjopickin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:35 PM   #7

gen. repair

just had a 7000 onan repaired parts and labor was less than $800.00 also reinstalled the unit. Appears your estimate over the top.
arkslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hygear View Post
I have a '03 Onan Marquis 5500 generator in my Winn Brave. Stopped working last weekend. Cummins handed me an estimate for repairs of $1,276 in parts and $2,276 in labor. This is not a rebuild. Just the repair and annual maintenance. They've also provided an estimate for a new unit $3,605 and $640 labor for installation. The new unit cost seem to be in the ballpark. But to repair, the cost seem very inflated. Especially the labor cost. Has anyone else had experience in cost charged by Cummins to be artificially inflated? Particular the labor? How difficult is it to drop the old unit and replace with a new one?
How many hours on your generator? I would think that would have a big impact too on repair/replace. I'm going over 1700 hours now so would think hard about repair vs replace.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #9

Like Pirate said it would depend on hours if I replaced it or not but I do think you should find someone besides Cummins to wo whatever you decide, that labor charge is way too high.

Tags
ace, air, generator, repair, replace