Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2014, 06:16 AM   #1

generator switch

I have 2 places inside my coach to start my generator. Neither will even make a clicking noise. I also have a start switch on the generator itself and it starts fine. Both coach switches will shut it off. Cant find a fuse anywhere. Any suggestions? Its propane.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 06:19 AM   #2

I should have said wont turn over. Ive checked the obvious. Coach power and switchs are on and main power generator switch is on.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartk1 View Post
I have 2 places inside my coach to start my generator. Neither will even make a clicking noise. I also have a start switch on the generator itself and it starts fine. Both coach switches will shut it off. Cant find a fuse anywhere. Any suggestions? Its propane.
There are spaces to fill in you data about the MH make model etc. I am sure you will get a answer if folks know what you are running. Also you might go the the forum specific to your MH or chassis.

good luck
Old 03-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #4

It might be a bad connection vs a fuse, do you have a schematic and/or a signal tracer?
Old 03-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Alpine forum copy paste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
It might be a bad connection vs a fuse, do you have a schematic and/or a signal tracer?
I looked up your personal listing and you have a Alpine. So I went to the alpine forum and search for generator. One thread shows the following and worth considering.

Another area to look at is the harness on the generator that is used for the remote start. There should be a weather-proof connector somewhere around the top curb side.

Take apart the connector and spray it really well with WD-40 to clean up the contacts. The use a small amount of Di-electric grease to spread onto the contacts before putting the connector back together.

Moisture will get inside the connector and give you a false signal.

hoe this helps
Old 03-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #6

try this

Have you held the switch down, mine has some delay for the glow plugs to warm up. If it will turn it off sounds like it connected to the gen, might be in the switch it self, try a jumper to make sure it is not in the switch. Mine was the same way, service guy said hold the switch down!!, worked.

Dave
Old 03-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGalliard01 View Post
Have you held the switch down, mine has some delay for the glow plugs to warm up. If it will turn it off sounds like it connected to the gen, might be in the switch it self, try a jumper to make sure it is not in the switch. Mine was the same way, service guy said hold the switch down!!, worked.

Dave
This is very correct. If you have had the coach for a while and are familiar with using the generator you are probably aware of this if not it is a good thing to know. The earlier poster had good advice about looking for the remote connect on the generator. Last thing I would advise. The switches are probably not bad. Two switches going bad at the same time is unlikely. I have not looked at the circuit but I imagine that the switches are wired in parallel. If you do not find anything in the above posts look for a broken wire going to the generator.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Had a similar problem. Was a broken wire from the remote switches to the generator due to years of roll out action on the generator slide.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #9

It might be a fuse I just have to figure out which fuse
Old 03-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #10

My problem was similar, found the connecting plug in the bay had wires corroded. This was not evident just by looking at the plug. Give each wire a good tug and if you see green corrosion inside the connector that may be it. I tugged on mine and the wire just came out, resoldered it and the genny worked fine from both positions inside the coach.
Steve
Old 03-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #11

Usually on an Onan there is a splitter plug in the line that parallels remote controls if there is more than one. That plug should be near the generator. I put one on for my auto start control.