Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2011, 07:04 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Generator to Shore Power Switch

I have a 96 Monaco and the switch had a burnt wire. I replaced the $250. Switch and double checked the instalation. I aso spliced in a new wire. I dont have shore power available. The Gen now produces no powere! I rechecked the switch and tried all the breakers in the box and the gen. No joy! No plug in juice, no Air. What else can be wrong? Help! allegro5

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #2

If your knowledgable enough to work around electricity, check for voltage at the switch. When you say shore power is not available, do you mean your not plugged in? Or you are plugged in but still no power? One possiblility is when you installed the new switch, line and load got crossed. The wires on the load side of the switch should go to the panel, (should be the hinged side of the contacts on the switch.) There will be two line inputs, one for shore power, and one for generator.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Are you taking about the automatic transfer switch?
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys, Yes RJay and to Hillbilly2, I was very careful to be sure what wires went where! I didnt remove any wires untill I had the new switch right there Its an esco 50 and # is ES50M-65N and cost $233 at PPL. It has no hinged door! With the Gen running and trying with the Gen breakers in both possitions, My Multi tester found no power and I tried everything! Now what? allegro5
Old 07-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #5

I looked up that switch, and it is a "fail off" design, it will only close the connections if the proper voltage is available on the utility (shore) power, or generator power. The load side of this transfer switch is where the factory has the big jumper wires between the two contactors. With the generator running, you should have 120 between the white wire and either of the black wires on the same contactor. If you do, then the control board is not allowing it to transfer and engage the contactor. Here is a link to a troubleshooting guide that may help. http://www.escousa.net/Merchant2/gra...pair102506.pdf
Old 07-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #6

Also if your coach uses a 30 amp 120 volt only service, jumpers must be installed as per instructions, if it is a 50 amp 120/240 service, then they are not needed, (unless the generator is 120 volt only)
Old 07-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
allegro,
The switch is normally hooked up so the generator is dominant. That means if the coach is connected to shore power and you start the generator the switch will swap power to the generator. Only with the generator off will shore power be connected.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
allegro,
The switch is normally hooked up so the generator is dominant. That means if the coach is connected to shore power and you start the generator the switch will swap power to the generator. Only with the generator off will shore power be connected.
Yeah, RV's are a different beast from home and business generators, where they have the utility as the preferred source, but I believe Allegro5 said that shore power was unavailable, so he or she is sweating it out now due to no A/C. The wire that was burnt may have shorted out the generator, and there is another issue here.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:47 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Has my generator been shorted out?

Hi Friends, and thanks for all the helpful advice. Yes, my rig is a Dynasty and 50 amps. I have no shore power available here at home in Vermont. Last month on our way up from Fla. We camped where the service was suspect and I think I blew everything out!Shore power stoped working as did the the Propane Onan! The white ( comn) wire in the transfer box, was burned and so was the connection in the switchbox. I sent for the same switchbox and I know Its in right! The burned problem was on the side that goes to the breaker box. With the Gen running, I find no power anywhere in the new box! I tried several times with the breakers of the Gen and the master breaker box! I did sign up with the Onan Club and am waiting to see if they accept me! Thanks guys for all the help! allegro5
Old 07-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
A couple days ago I drove 50 miles to a Mechanic that works on all fassets of the RV. He did some tests and thinks its the Voltage Regulator! Looked that up and its $400. I may find a rebuilt for alot less! He did have me plug into his 50A service and thats all fine now! The Gen starts and runs fine, but no Elect.. Allegro5
Old 07-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro5 View Post
A couple days ago I drove 50 miles to a Mechanic that works on all fassets of the RV. He did some tests and thinks its the Voltage Regulator! Looked that up and its $400. I may find a rebuilt for alot less! He did have me plug into his 50A service and thats all fine now! The Gen starts and runs fine, but no Elect.. Allegro5
$400! I bet you wish now that it was just a simple screwup on the wiring! LOL! Did you find out what was wrong with your 50 amp shore power since it worked on his?
Old 07-14-2011, 06:59 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Hillbilly2 and RJAY, The Box that switches from shore power to Generator Power, had birned out on the side that goes to the main breaker box. This killed all power. I had no shore power supply here except 20 amps! I did shut off the elect in the rig and plug in the 20 amp, and found that there is now power! I had spliced in a new white wire that did overheat agout 8 inches, and a new Converter Switch box! How ever, the problem also aparently burned out the Voltage Regulator on the Genset! I have found a rebuilt VR at Flight Systems, online, for 200. and delux grade at $250.. Just waiting to see what the Mechanic has to offer. Allegro5

Tags
generator, power