Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2016, 07:00 PM   #15

Thank you for that. I will go out there tomorrow, and for ease of trouble shooting and access, I will take out the starter switch from the dash, take pics of the wires and disconnect the switch and possibly eliminate the switch. If it continues, then I would try to find the starter solenoid and check there, but God only knows where that might be. I do know that the AUX start switch is fine, because before I charged the batteries, it would just click but it actually tried to start when pushing the AUX switch and went back to clicking when I released it. Come to think about it, when it was motoring over, I took the start switch on the generator itself and tried to rock it from start to stop with no help and I don't hear the little buzz when you rock it toward the prime position, so lack of fuel is most likely the source of the no start. Also with it being in the upper 90's here, I can not run the air conditioning because the thermostat runs off of 12 volts and when I turn it on, the genny tries to start, so behold, 98 inside the coach...SUMMER BE GONE!! Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 07:35 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCA Dave View Post
.. I can not run the air conditioning because the thermostat runs off of 12 volts and when I turn it on, the genny tries to start, so behold, 98 inside the coach...SUMMER BE GONE!! Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming..
Are you saying if the 12v thermostat calls for A/C, the generator starts??? Sounds like an auto start generator circuit to me.

Also, if you remove the dash starter switch, you won't know if it's stuck on and sending voltage to the starter solenoid. Check an online manual for your generator to find the starter solenoid and wiring for the generator.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Are you saying if the 12v thermostat calls for A/C, the generator starts??? Sounds like an auto start generator circuit to me.

Also, if you remove the dash starter switch, you won't know if it's stuck on and sending voltage to the starter solenoid. Check an online manual for your generator to find the starter solenoid and wiring for the generator.
No, my bad. Bad choice of words or punctuation. I can not run the A/C because when I turn the house battery switch on the genny tries to start. It really doesn't have anything to do with the A/C other than the fact that the thermostat runs off of 12 vdc. I can not supply 12 vdc to the coach without the genny trying to start. My thought if I removed the "stuck starter switch" and I don't even know it it's stuck..it stops trying to start, I might have eliminated the reason it is trying to start to begin with. Like removing my finger from the switch but the switch is still sending a signal to whatever it sends the signal to to engage the starter. If I disconnect the solenoid and it stops trying to start, how would I know if its the solenoid or something that is sending a start signal to it? Sorry but this is really baffling. We want to use it next month but can't because of the issues...and I just had the roof repaired and know for sure it IS watertight.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:46 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
The generator must have a 12 v fuse to shut off power to the dash control. Try to pull that fuse and see if it still tries to start.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-19-2016, 09:32 PM   #19

I have schematics for the coach. I will research that and see what I come up with...Thank you for the continued suggestions. I feel eventually I will get things figured out.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:08 PM   #20

Well with it 105* inside the coach, I disconnected all the wires from the generator start switch. I then went back to the right underdeck and reconnected the main battery wire. Sure as shooting, the genny tried to start as soon as I moved the switch to the on position, then stopped when I moved it off...I have no idea where any of the inline components are and with the heat index over 105 do I really want to fight it. I am slowly starting to want to throw in the towel....more suggestions might prevent this...Thanks again, Dave.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Actually, you have discovered some valuable information. Since you took all wires off the dash generator switch and it still tried to start, the dash control is likely O.K. You'll need to look up your generator model online and see if you can find a manual. You're looking for the power between the generator and the generator's starter. A relay very likely is in the circuit so heavy loads don't have to be switched. When the dash switch is on, the power goes to a relay to power the generator starting solenoid. That solenoid engages the starting motor gear into the flywheel. That's where the issue is, I'm sure. See what steps it takes to drop the starter/solenoid assembly.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #22

I am actually reading through the Onan service manual now. That does make sense that with that switch out of the system something is still trying to tell it to start. I am still scratching the surface to determine where components are, but with the heat, I'm done today but I will continue to search for component locations. Thanks again for all the suggestions, and don't be shy, you never know what might point me in the right direction or help me find it.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:10 PM   #23

Well in reading through the service manual, I decided that taking the front cover off was much more difficult than they make it look. So after another hour I put the screws back in the front panel. I did however get the little access panel off by the start and kill switch. It contains the radiator hose cap for the antifreeze, as well as 3 fuses. A 25 amp fuse on a large red wire, and 2 little blue 15 amp fuses on black wires. One at a time, I took them out starting with the 25 amp and turned on the red power disconnect switch. It immediately tried to start. One by one I pulled the 15 amp fuses and on the second one (imagine that) the genny would not turn over. At this point I gently pushed in the fuse, and the starter engaged, so I know this was the fuse I needed to remove. Now I can apply 12 vdc to the coach. I was then able to power up the thermostat and get the a/c units to produce snow inside once again. Now that might be a step in the right direction...I have to go back to work sunday through Wednesday but by all means, please keep the suggestions coming. From what the service manual said, it must be a starter relay hung somewhere. I will either have to remove the fuel filter to get to the starter, or something as right now I can NOT get all the screws out of the panels to remove them...Too old, short armed and fat ! LOL...I have pics if anyone is interested..Thanks, Dave.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #24

Ok everyone, here is the scoop on my generator. I took it to the Cummins repair facility here in Charleston South Carolina. They charged me a $99 diagnosis fee for starters. They finally called me with the bad news that the Genny had to come out of the coach. I kinda figured it might have to. The removal and reinstallation would be $998. Additional charges would be determined after they were finished troubleshooting. Well the part was the "inverter" which basically is the brains of the system. It controls voltage output as well as dozens of other functions essential to the generator operation. They ordered the part $1567.13 which is a sealed unit that contains the electronics and several relays as well as the brains for the Genny. The quickly swapped the inverter and she started and ran great on the bench. They have a stand where they connect up fuel and stuff to run them out of the coaches. They then very quickly and efficiently reinstalled and loaded it up by running both AC units and the electric water heater. It checked out fine. I went to pick it up, and of course it would not start. Both house batteries were dry from the summer heat and not having power connected for several months while the roof was resealed. I got her home, put fresh distilled water in the batteries and while I winterized the plumbing system, the batteries took a charge and the Genny starts up and runs like a new unit. I ran it for about an hour and left for a couple of hours. It is plugged in so shore power and the batteries appear to be fully charged and it starts and runs like it should. Total out the door....hang on...$3616.11.
But now we are ready for Daytona!!...any questions, don't hesitate to ask...Merry Christmas yall...Dave

Tags
generator