Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #15
Just this past week, 5 days straight. Mine is an Onan/Cummins (7.5 DKDFJ) that is coming right at 2000 hrs now. I change my oil & filter religiously every 200 hrs and, regardless of hours, once at the beginning of each usage season.

94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #16
Fleetwood Owners Club
During Hurricane Sandy, it was on for 2 1/2 weeks. I do leave it on auto, so it cycled on and off as needed. I ran through almost 1/2 a tank of fuel. We used all the appliances including ac, so it seemed to be running a lot. We even had several BBQs for select neighbors and family. Everyone was bringing food to clean out their refrigerators, so there was plenty of meat! It taught me to always keep the fuel tank full, cause you never know when you are going to need it.

Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #17
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
I have ran my Onan 5.5K for 24 hours, then shut it down for 5 minutes checked the oil level and restarted it for 48 straight hours. 72 total and it burned 5/8 of a quart of oil and 50 gallons of gas. I have 680 hours on my 2006 model.
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
You weren't working it very hard if that's all the fuel you used.
No argument, but I would still find that acceptable. My Onan 5.5k is rated at 0.9 gal/hr on full load, so in simple math at 1 gal/hr, he still averaged over 3/4 load usage based on 50 gals in 72 hours. For the OP, I fit somewhere in the 15-16 hour range. During travel, I prefer the genny and roof air over the dash air to keep the whole coach cool while getting my monthly genny exercise in. My longest plug-in to plug-in trip so far has been DC to FL, which is where I get the 15-16 hours (not including the two ~1/2 hour gasser fuel stops).
Dewey & Sharon
Southern Maryland suburbs of DC
2015 Tiffin Allegro Bus 45LP
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #18
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The previous owner of our MH must have ran the genset a lot. 25 thousand miles on the coach, 1,018 hrs on the genset. He was a NASCAR fan and sponsor. Darlington seemed to be his favorite place, I suspect he ran the genset the entire weekend.
I've bought used genny-equipped units at both ends of this spectrum!

We bought our Party Cruiser (32' pontoon boat) when it was 10 years old, had less than 200 boat-engine hours, but over 2400 genny hours! The boat lived on Lake Mead most of it's prior life, so I assume the AC was running constantly! (both the genny and AC still work fine, at 18 years old!)

On the other end, we bought our '87 Cruise Air III in 2008, had 63,000 miles on the clock, and 15 hours on the genny! And oddly enough, most of it's life before we got it was spent in Arizona-- guess they didn't use it in the summer!

As for length of running time, I'm not even close to most of you guys!
2000 40' Tiffin Allegro Bus \ 2003 Chaparral 260 SSI
1988 53 x 14 Skipperliner \ 1995 32' Party Cruiser
1984 Goldwing Aspencade \ 1976 Harley Sportster
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #19
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I routinely run my for 3-5 days without shutting it down for NASCAR events. You didn't state what year your generator is but my 2009 has an "auto start" feature which allows it to start when batteries are low or if you need a/c, but I only use this feature during non a/c times as I just as soon leave it run for the a/c.
Johnny Rotten
2009 American Eagle 42'
Trailering HD Road Glide and Saab 9.3 or Cadillac Escalade ESV
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #20
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
It taught me to always keep the fuel tank full, cause you never know when you are going to need it.
I try to have the fuel and propane full before I store it for the winter. Never had a long power outage here but you never know.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #21
24 hours, then I give it a short rest, check oil, and we are good to go again.
06 TS-42-DS04
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #22
There is no reason the generator cannot run for long periods of time. Once the generator is at operating temperature, it will maintain that. Im sure most of them are like mine that run at low RPM's (1800) so the internals are not moving at high speeds. I do keep the generator compartment open when I run it to allow the most cool air (air cooled) as possible.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #23
Alpine Owners Club
All - Frist I would read the manual if you have it, if its onan, you can download the manual. I have an 8KW model 8HDKAK and it says 150 hours between oil changes. That works out to 6.25 days under continuous use. We camped at Quartzsite for a 5 day rally and mine ran around 4-6 hours a day, no problem. It was winter so I did not need the a/c's. The manual also states it should be run 2 hours a month at half load, that can be split up. I change the oil/filter once a year since we don't use it a lot. If like one person, it ran for two weeks, I would stop and change the oil once a week.

You can read all about emergency escape plans, how to prepare, etc., but we all own the best emergency escape vehicle already, our MH. So always keep the tank full, each and every time we get ready to stop for a while, the last thing we do before we park it is to fill up the tank, you never know when things will happen. We also keep the toad full when we travel, in case we have a break down, and need it to go lots of miles to get some parts. Having to stop for gas, would maybe not work out so well safety wise if I have to leave the better half in the MH while I was running for parts. When on a traveling construction crew building substations, the rule was no vehicle was left with the tank half full or below that level, and every Friday, we always filled all of them up before we went home. Stuff happens.

Every system in the motorhome should be exercised each month, by that, regardless of what season, run the furnace, then turn on the a/c's and cool down the coach, then run the furnace again then a/c's, cycle the slides at least once a month, un-level the coach, level the coach, if have hydro hot, run on diesel at least once a month for couple of hours. If you have engine pre-heat option, check the hoses and replace every 3-5 years, they wear out. We have a dishwasher which we don't like, but twice a month we use it to keep the seals and O-rings wet. Washer/dryer, same thing, use them or at least run water through it and then let it spin it out, keeps all the bearings lubricated.

Trust me, machinery needs to be used, plus by doing the above, you will know if something is not quite right and can correct it prior to needing it to survive in.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #24
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The previous owner of our MH must have ran the genset a lot. 25 thousand miles on the coach, 1,018 hrs on the genset. He was a NASCAR fan and sponsor. Darlington seemed to be his favorite place, I suspect he ran the genset the entire weekend.
This is a very timely topic for me. I am in the process of purchasing a 2008 Allegro Bus. It has an Onan 10kw diesel genset. There are 19,000 miles on the odometer and almost 4600 hours on the generator. The genset is my primary worry with this unit.

Most of the responses to questions that I got were that as long as the unit was maintained, it's really not a worry. That's been my approach with the dealer. As long as they can either show me evidence of proper periodic maintenance or commit to getting everything that Onan says needs to be done completed, we'll be okay.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD, Cummins ISL 400, Allison 3000, Progressive EMS, Aventa II, Air Force One, Tire Safeguard TPMS, Blue Ox Tru Center (maybe), Lotsa LEDs
mrschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #25
Ford Super Duty Owner
About 4 days non stop, when the power was out last year at the house.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #26
8 days with one shut down to check oil.
No problem

billbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote