Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #1

Generator Vs CO

Has anyone ever been gassed by the CO from their generator exhausting just below their bedroom? Looks like a design flaw to me,,, Scary...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've never run my gen thru the night, but supose if I had to, I'd leave that side bedroom window closed !

Old 12-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
They make a system called GenTuri which attaches to the exhaust pipe and routes the exhaust to the roof. They can be purchased or homemade.
I made mine in about a hour with parts from Home Depot. Do a search for Genturi and you will find photos and parts list.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
They make a system called GenTuri which attaches to the exhaust pipe and routes the exhaust to the roof. They can be purchased or homemade.
I made mine in about a hour with parts from Home Depot. Do a search for Genturi and you will find photos and parts list.
There have been some deaths in the houseboating world by exhaust getting trapped either under the over hanging hull of the boat, or by boats beening rafted up too close together. They recommend the exhaust being extended to the roof line.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
I use the Gen-Turi and it works great.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #6

We had that problem with the genny under the bedroom. Solved it by moving genny to front of coach and engine to the back. Actually at the time I did consider extending the pipe but after researching decided it might not be safe to modify the exhaust. The added stress from the weight of the extra pipe could cause a leak. But then again maybe not and thats why you have the Co alarm.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Could always cut and extend the exhaust pipe to exit out the rear.. add another and/or larger muffler to quiet it down too..
Old 12-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only time we run the generator at night is when dry camping and needing the air on to be able to sleep. We have the windows closed when using the air so it's never been a problem to us.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
The only time we run the generator at night is when dry camping and needing the air on to be able to sleep. We have the windows closed when using the air so it's never been a problem to us.
Thats what I was thinking. Cant see any other reason I would ever run the gen at night.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Up to 2 years ago, I was a Security Suprentendent at a local Agricultural Fair. We had a huge population of RV's from visitors, vendors and others. I wouldn't allow outside generators to be used anywhere near other tents or RV's; or inside of RV's w/o an exhaust system or venturi type.
When people complained, I gave them a copy of a news clipping about the infield of one of the popular Mid-East coast racetracks. I seems two people were overcome by fumes from a neighboring M/H. When the EMS people were removing the victims, the neighbor said, "Jeez, I would hate to think that my generator was responsible for that! They were responsible.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When my rig was new 2 hours of Generator and the CO alarm went off

So I went shopping Camco Mfg Inc - Gen-turi Generator Exhaust System - Generator Accessories - Camping World

I have twice provided power for a Ham Radio Field Day.. that's roughly 25 hours of continous Generator time and not even a peep out of the Co-Detector..

What's more....

I've had my detector go off due to the next door neighbor's generator... I highly recommend the Gen-Turi for EVERY RV with a generator.. Some places require them.... I've seen too many reports of folks waking up dead after a night of generator use.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

In drag racing at NHRA events the rules state that we have to use the Gen-Turi like system to keep down the noise and fumes for the guys in the trailer next to us. It sure was an improvement. On my DP with the Onan up front I always make sure I turn the dash AC to MAX with the ignition key on to close the fresh air vent before I use the genset. The vent is right above the generator and it worries me. In the sumeer while traveling and stopping at roadside rest areas or truckstops I run my generator at night all the time to run the roof ACs. I do have a real good carbon monoxide detector that records the highest PPM that has been detected and I have NEVER seen any even if I leave the front dash AC vent open.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I guess you won't have to worry about running them here at our track. Gateway in Madison Ill is no more.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
$130 for a plastic pipe and rubber tie down???? I like that its 'air cooled'.. is there a water cooled version?