Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Generator won’t turn over

We have a 2010 Allegro Bus 43qrp. It has a Cummins Onan RV QD 10000 generator The gen has always been a little suspect when starting. Always seems to have barely enough power to turn over. Many times I have to engage the Aux power switch (merge chassis batteries) to get it started. Yesterday it did the same thing only after a few tries it won’t turn over at all. I can hear the solenoid clicking The house batteries are new and fully charged. The chassis batteries are a few years old, but are turning the engine over fine. I thought the gen sourced its power from the house batteries Anybody know for sure ? Any other ideas as to why no apparent juice ?

2010 Allegro Bus 43QRP
glsponchos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2018, 10:07 PM   #2

Just a guess on my part, but if it's clicking seems to me it could be the starter or solenoid, are the battery cables corroded? not sure where the power comes from but check the voltage at the generator. Just stabbing in the dark on this but it's what I would look for.
DrBob1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:47 AM   #3

I have a 2010 Phaeton QTH with the QD10000. Yes, the house batteries ARE used to start the generator. YES, house batteries made a poor choice for starting any engine as they are normally deep discharge types and they have a tendency to not be quick discharge type. I agree with the last post, check the starter cables for corrosion. It doesn't take much to hinder the start function. Start the engine and that will close the crossover relay (AUX Start switch). Hold the generator "OFF" switch for ~20 sec as this starts the fuel pump for priming. Press the start switch for normal start function. Keep us informed.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:52 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2011 Phaeton here. With the 10k genny. Which readily starts reliably. Agree its house batteries and all good advise here previously. Good luck.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The clicking you are hearing is likely part of the generator start process. Think of it as glow plugs warming up and engine priming - especially happens in cold or cool weather. Keep your finger on the GEN start switch until the generator fires.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:18 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
The clicking you are hearing is likely part of the generator start process. Think of it as glow plugs warming up and engine priming - especially happens in cold or cool weather. Keep your finger on the GEN start switch until the generator fires.
Exactly, but if it still is slow to turn over check the ground strap to the frame. Nine times out of ten that is the problem as they corrode.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
In my case, with the same symptoms, I was able to isolate the problem to a corroded cable !8" long from battery to post. The ground cable was dropping about 2 volts, but I replaced the positive side as well so I don't really know which was the problem. There is such a long distance between the battery and generator's starter that any corrosion or ground issue seems to have an amplified effect.
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:56 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Update - I checked the voltage at the poles on back on generator, and confirmed same voltage as house batteries. I also confirmed with Tiffin that the gen powers from house batteries. I had a guy look at it. He said the clicking I hear is the fuel pump. He also said that that the starter wasn’t receiving its signal to start turning over. He, as many of the mobile techs, was covered up and didn’t want to tear into the unit. Also said it would need to be dropped to do further work. Trying to get I to a dealer but tough. Guess a lot of folks are dewinterizing Any other thoughts. Sure would be nice if there was a relay or breaker in line I could check.

2010 Allegro Bus 43QRP
glsponchos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:02 AM   #9
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsponchos View Post
Update - I checked the voltage at the poles on back on generator, and confirmed same voltage as house batteries. I also confirmed with Tiffin that the gen powers from house batteries. I had a guy look at it. He said the clicking I hear is the fuel pump. He also said that that the starter wasn’t receiving its signal to start turning over. He, as many of the mobile techs, was covered up and didn’t want to tear into the unit. Also said it would need to be dropped to do further work. Trying to get I to a dealer but tough. Guess a lot of folks are dewinterizing Any other thoughts. Sure would be nice if there was a relay or breaker in line I could check.
Did you check the voltage while having someone trying to start the generator?????

Just taking a voltage measurement without a load is useless information. Seeing the same voltage at the generator is suspect if done under load it should be a volt or so lower.

Make a shiny spot on the frame for your meter ground lead and then measure each wire coming to the generator while trying to start it. IF you see voltage on the negative lead of the wire your ground is faulty. If you see a low voltage on the positive wire you need to chase that connection.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Did you check the voltage while having someone trying to start the generator?????

Just taking a voltage measurement without a load is useless information. Seeing the same voltage at the generator is suspect if done under load it should be a volt or so lower.

Make a shiny spot on the frame for your meter ground lead and then measure each wire coming to the generator while trying to start it. IF you see voltage on the negative lead of the wire your ground is faulty. If you see a low voltage on the positive wire you need to chase that connection.

Definately a starter problem on the generator!
May need a new starter!
Not a big problem to replace one!
Baron Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #11

Thanks gents. I will take a reading while it is cranking as well.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #12

Most people skip the first step or two when troubleshooting IMHO. Start with the obvious and easiest to address first. Clean and tighten all the battery cables even if they look ok and then see what happens. Do not ignore the negative terminals and ground contact points they are just as important as the positive and often overlooked.

When you know all is well with the cables move to the next most obvious and next easiest to do step and so on.

Good luck and keep us posted please.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator