Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #1

Genny problems maybe starter

prior to storing for the winter it ran fine. I did switch the house batteries from 12 v to 6 series. I believe they are wired properly because everything on 12 volt works ecept with the genny all i seem to get is a click, mostlikely from the starter on the genny when I used the switch on the dash and also the one on the genny.

Now previously I had two grounds of the 12 v batteries, one on each but when I did the 6v in series i didn't see any need for it so have not attached it. Doesn't seem to effect anything but thought i wpuld put that in.

Any ideas please?
edsperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #2

The ground wire you left off , may be for the generator , hooking that wire up would be the first thing to try.
Then , you'll have to check for battery volts at the gen set , on mine the cables are at the bottom rear of the generator.
The click you hear is an indication of either an internal problem ( starter ) or low voltage supply to the generator.
Has the coach been plugged into shore power ? Are both chassis and coach batteries showing good charge?
Old 04-08-2015, 12:09 PM   #3

genny

I don't think it was the ground for the starter to the genny. It just went from one battery to the chassis. The batteries have been in the house on a keeper fully charged.

I will hook up the other ground seems like unnessary but what the hell. Raining out so will do tomorrow and check the voltage at the starter also.
Thansk for the reply.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:44 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
What make & model generator do you have.

I have a Onan 7500 watt. I have the capability of getting diagnostic codes. If you can get some codes we may be able to help.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:25 PM   #5

The chassis ground is the generator ground. They don't always run 2 cables to the generator. Put the ground back on and try it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:03 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
You need to check what voltage you are actually getting at the ground. If the ground is not coming from the right battery you will get less than 12 volts and some if not most of the bulbs will work with less than 12 volts. Use a meter and check voltage between where the positive hooks to the coach and the ground that you put back on. If you have 12 volts then that ground is ok but may not be good enough for the genny.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:18 AM   #7

Amazing!!! I did what you suggested and hooked up the second ground wire to the neg pole along with the frist one. Cranked right up. Did not make much sense to me since they are both bolted to the fram within 3 inches of each other but it worked, Thanks

Didn't trun over since it is 32 here and too damn cold. It does not like cold weather aparently having lived most of its life in Fl. When it gets a little warmer today i will hit it with some juice that should do it. Suppose to have a lever on the airfilter to open the chock but damned if i can find it
Old 04-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #8

You didn't mention that they both went to the frame. That means the first ground is dirty or to thin for the generator.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote