Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2014, 05:55 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Question Genset won't run.

I have an Onan HGJAB I am doing battle with. I can't get it to run. First thing I found was the fuel filter was leaking gasoline. I went to get a replacement at three different places and each time they gave me one with the 1/8" NPT to 5/16" hose connections even when I showed them the filter that came off was 1/8" NPT to 1/4" hose. I finally did some research and found out there was a leakage problem with that filter and I couldn't get a replacement. I ended up making a reducer to get me from a 5/16" hose down to a 1/4" hose and that worked out great.

I am still having a run problem. I can get it started and it will run as long as I hold the throttle plate in the closed position. As soon as I release the throttle plate, the generator will die. I get a fault code of 36 but I can't find out why the throttle plate has to be closed. I've cleaned the carburetor, checked air filter, and checked exhaust. The manual suggest checking linkage settings but that is out of my realm.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #2

36 is a fuel delivery problem.

There is a choke pull-off mechanism in there as well.. Is the choke plate closing or holding open? IF the linkage has slipped out of the eyelet OR the spring has come off it will instantly be sucked closed.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm sorry. It is the choke plate, not the throttle plate, that I am having to force completely closed. It is barely open and when I release it, it wants to go to full open.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #4

Oh ok. Thats normal for it the choke to go wide open. It would make sense you'd have to hold it closed :-) Well if it wants choked to run, then you have a nice vacuum leak somewhere. Check around the top of the carb and you'll see the small black vacuum line.. make sure it hasn't popped off. You can remove the 2 bolts holding the air cleaner to the carburetor to gain better access - beware though, those also hold the carb to the intake plenum.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #5

Maybe the float is stuck from sitting for a long time starving for fuel.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:06 PM   #6

If it will only run with choke partially closed,then I feel like you have a plugged jet in the carb.I have experienced this exact problem on many small engines over the years.

remove carb from the engine and remove each jet and clean them out .it only takes something equal in size to a pencil dot on a piece of paper to cause this .