RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2017, 08:11 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Don't have a crv and hope I never have to use that tow bar.
Haha Mike, Thats the tow bar you don't want to see

John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2017, 11:17 PM   #44

I drive a diesel. I want everyone to know I drive a diesel. I don't want to turn it off. If I cause anyone any problems no matter how small they should just remember that I have had a stressful day. I left the window by mistake and now I have dust on my expensive leather furniture. Do you understand? I now have dust. I just can't turn it off because it is who I am. Please understand and feel my pain. My therapist says it is real f I believe it.
I will promise to only let it idle for 10 minutes after I finish set up.

09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:42 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
I drive a diesel. I want everyone to know I drive a diesel. I don't want to turn it off. If I cause anyone any problems no matter how small they should just remember that I have had a stressful day. I left the window by mistake and now I have dust on my expensive leather furniture. Do you understand? I now have dust. I just can't turn it off because it is who I am. Please understand and feel my pain. My therapist says it is real f I believe it.

I will promise to only let it idle for 10 minutes after I finish set up.

You forgot the part about pulling in at midnight and leaving at 6am because all those mean people on the RV board said I must not be 'cheap' and Wallydock. I must park an RV in a c/g, it's a RULE!!
Old 03-16-2017, 06:31 AM   #46

I always allow a five minute cool down upon reaching the destination. It's my engine not yours. Part of living in a motorized vehicle. That said, I stay with the rig and do shutdown after the 5 minutes is up.

2005 Coachman Encore 40TS
CAT C7
Freightliner Chassis
Tow - 09 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
G6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:21 AM   #47

American Coach Owners Club
My coach is an older model, it will leak all air pressure off over night. When I start engine, it takes a few minutes to build air and for air suspension to inflate. I try to be considerate and just let engine idle while building air and as soon as possible I'm in gear and gone.......

But I can almost feel the stares from neighbors because of my diesel.....

But the fact remains, ITS A CAMPGROUND vehicles come and go, there's noise involved either at the pull in line or the campsite.

There is a "entitlement" attitude that some people have and wave their "look at me" flag by letting the engine run & justify it due to "engine cool down" or "engine warm up"

But the truth is the engine will cool down enough for shut down within 3 to 5 minutes after load.

The more complex issue is people that aren't considerate of others that either let the engine run needlessly OR people that can't get the bug out their behind and realize that I have a diesel, it makes noise and my schedule is different than yours.
☮️
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:29 AM   #48

This topic reminds me of when I was farming back in the 60's and 70's. Until we went to electric, we used Cummins and John Deere diesel engines on our irrigation wells. They were equipped with safety switches that would shut the engine down if the oil pressure dropped, engine temp got too hot, or if an irrigation line blew apart and the line pressure dropped. These were 125-200 hp engines running close to maximum power 24 hours a day, sometimes for days on end. (there was a sight gauge to check oil level while it was running) When any one of the safety circuits was broken, the engine would go from 1800 rpm loaded to 0 rpm in less than two seconds. That was hard on some turbo's, but not all were affected. Then we got a delayed shut down control that for line pressure loss or Center pivot safety loss, the control would reduce the rpm to 1000 rpm (still under load as the clutch was still engaged) for two minutes, then shut down. Turbo problems went away with this control. What I learned from this is that my diesel motorhome working at less than 50% power running down the interstate, will not need more than the time to exit the highway and drive a mile to a campground to cool down enough to shut it off. But, what do I know compared to someone who knew someone that let their engine run for several minutes upon arrival so they do too??
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:02 PM   #49

This is a considerate and logical response. People come and go in campgrounds all of the time.

I can't remember any really excessive engine running by DP's. I do, however, sometimes get upset at drivers of older Ford or Dodge diesel pickup trucks. I understand that the older diesels made lots of noise, but do they have to leave the engine running, clattering, smoking, and smelling for a half hour or more while setting up 5th wheel trailer?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
My coach is an older model, it will leak all air pressure off over night. When I start engine, it takes a few minutes to build air and for air suspension to inflate. I try to be considerate and just let engine idle while building air and as soon as possible I'm in gear and gone.......

But I can almost feel the stares from neighbors because of my diesel.....

But the fact remains, ITS A CAMPGROUND vehicles come and go, there's noise involved either at the pull in line or the campsite.

There is a "entitlement" attitude that some people have and wave their "look at me" flag by letting the engine run & justify it due to "engine cool down" or "engine warm up"

But the truth is the engine will cool down enough for shut down within 3 to 5 minutes after load.

The more complex issue is people that aren't considerate of others that either let the engine run needlessly OR people that can't get the bug out their behind and realize that I have a diesel, it makes noise and my schedule is different than yours.
☮️
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:13 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
This post seems to be only about coaches.

Some of the diesel trucks make a lot of noise and they are left
running during the complete setup of a fiver.
My brother-in-law takes at least 20-25 minutes to get his fiver
set up and he leaves his truck running all the time.
He says it is right to do so since he is paying for the site.

He is also one that says it takes a long time to cool down since
he bought the biggest motor that was available in a one ton truck.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #51

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
I agree about the cool down for diesel engines. However it is also very important for gas engines also.
Ford manifolds don't like to be shutdown after working hard. They like all engines regardless require cool down.
As I have stated before, I was lucky enough to go to the dealer show in Louisville every year. We talked to the engineers that designed the engines in the motorhomes. EVERY one said it was important to cool down the engines BOTH gas and diesel. Diesel is the most important because of the turbo's. If the turbo is hot, it will fry the oil and cause bearing failure. I always asked my wife to shut off the engine after 4 minutes while I was in the office or rest stop. I always came back to find the engine still running. My answer to the problem was to install a kitchen timer on the dash. I set it at 4 minutes and she turns off the engine when it goes off.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #52

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ill shut it down when the Pyrometer shows its safe to do so and not a moment before that.

When I start it up to leave, I wait for the coach to raise up and the air dryer to purge at low idle, all the while I am looking at gauges to make sure its safe to operate on the highway.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleamo1 View Post
Ill shut it down when the Pyrometer shows its safe to do so and not a moment before that.

When I start it up to leave, I wait for the coach to raise up and the air dryer to purge at low idle, all the while I am looking at gauges to make sure its safe to operate on the highway.
Excellent....then can you share with us your experience on how long it takes to cool down? I have always been curious as to how hot it runs at 60mph, and how long it takes to get cooler. What is an acceptable shutdown temperature?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 03-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If your at the check in desk, your engine has cooled down enough to shut it off, unless you just climbed a mountain to get there.

A few minutes of easy driving is all you need to cool your turbo.
I agree!!!! I've owned 4 diesel motorhomes, 3 class A's and 1 class B. It drives me nuts when folks think they still need to idle their diesel engines after taking 10 or so minutes driving at 15mph from the highway to the campground office. Come on folks, give the people already at the campground a break.
Oh by the way, there's also the people that need to leave for work a 5:00- 6:30 AM that think they need to run their diesel engines 5-10 minutes before they leave the campsite. In most cases, they need to idle through the campground and drive 5-10 minutes to the highway and the engine is warmed up by then anyway. Diesel engine don't heat up much at idle and the slow trip through the campground and secondary highway gives the engine ample time to warm up!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #55

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
This post seems to be only about coaches.

Some of the diesel trucks make a lot of noise and they are left
running during the complete setup of a fiver.
My brother-in-law takes at least 20-25 minutes to get his fiver
set up and he leaves his truck running all the time.
He says it is right to do so since he is paying for the site.

He is also one that says it takes a long time to cool down since
he bought the biggest motor that was available in a one ton truck.
Then appears this thread is about your BIL.....
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #56

Sence I don't have gauges in my Moho to monitor egt's I will address what my pickup needs. My pyro is pre turbo so I see what the turbo is seeing. Even after a 10-15 min normal back road drive on a hot summer day it could/ will take 4or5 min idle to cool egt's to 300*
I personally don't care if you like it or not it's idling until my pyro says it's ok.
If you don't have gauges you have no idea.
ISSPRO makes a auto shut down
ISSPRO R4130 Turbo Temp Monitor at DieselManor

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine