RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #57

Peeps that arrive late and/or leave camp early are my only antagonizers.
Please be courteous enough to cool it off or warm it up before/after arrival/departure.
It's such a bother for me to start mine up and set high idle at those inconvenient times just to make my point!
No, I don't do that. I sleep through it! 😉

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #58

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Usually (unless a very large hill prior to entering the CG) I usually roll in around 500 degrees, it takes me 2-3 minutes to get into the low 400 window another 1-2 minutes and I am safe. I like to shut down around 350. I cannot recall it ever taking longer than the 5 minutes.
Most of the comments were right, as you are coasting into the entrance or just tipping the throttle in the gauge is dropping fast if over 500, but will hang around low 400 to 450 ish until you actually stop and go to a true idle. Now keep in mind I have a NON VGT turbo charger and a non emissions engine. I also shut down my dash A/C as we get close to help cool the engine bay.
Usually the generator will be on if its above 85 outside, that stays on until we arrive at the site. Now with that being said the tail pipe is on the street side so a pool being on the Chassis tail pipe side would not be affected, plus my Generator is so quiet you wouldn't know its running unless you were standing next to it.
believe me 5 minutes waiting for the gauge to drop seems like forever, I usually use the toilet and get my paperwork, when I walk back up its usually ok to shut down.

Honestly Id bet I aggravate more people from the engine fan kicking up so much dust. It moves so much air into the side of the engine and down the side of the block straight to the ground with attitude it really creates a cloud. I checked the fan switch and its functioning properly, just the way it is.

jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This has become a very technical AND confusing topic.

I am an expert now since I read an internet article Exhaust Gas Info

This article showed numbers at 600deg F for a small Cummins Pick-up at idle.
It also elaborated on the variation of numbers based on where you measured.

I am curious where the 300 deg is meassured

Then there is the warning from Cummins about excessive idling causing premature wear. I think New York has a 10 min max idling law for diesels (maybe all engines).
This was posted on a Open read forum.
Check your owners manual and you will find that Cummins recommends that you idle a MAX 10 minutes on either start up or cool down. Cylinder wall wash down start about then.

My current belief is that the most important thing is Turbo Bearing lubrication

Let the Turbo spin down to idle speed, and let some Fairly cool oil make it through the turbo. Heck it hits 1000 deg easy on the road.

Regards,

Dan
Old 03-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #60

I worked in municipal repair shops for 40+ years.

The last 17 in a 40 acre facility, full of diesel powered equipment, from 60 HP to 1000 HP, stationery and rolling.

When the coffee truck came in the yard, it was full speed to the front and shut it off.

With the stationery, yard waste possessing equipment, overheat and shutdown, from blocked radiators, was a common thing. We often changed the air filters because the rubber elbow collapsed from the suction. In the evenings, you could see the exhaust manifolds and turbos, glowing red. They worked hard.

No turbo failures. Maybe we were lucky.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:03 PM   #61

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I worked in municipal repair shops for 40+ years.

The last 17 in a 40 acre facility, full of diesel powered equipment, from 60 HP to 1000 HP, stationery and rolling.

When the coffee truck came in the yard, it was full speed to the front and shut it off.

With the stationery, yard waste possessing equipment, overheat and shutdown, from blocked radiators, was a common thing. We often changed the air filters because the rubber elbow collapsed from the suction. In the evenings, you could see the exhaust manifolds and turbos, glowing red. They worked hard.

No turbo failures. Maybe we were lucky.
I love that line

Dan
Old 03-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
My brother-in-law takes at least 20-25 minutes to get his fiver set up and he leaves his truck running all the time.
He says it is right to do so since he is paying for the site.
That's pretty much what I suspect is the driving force behind most of this behavior.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
That's pretty much what I suspect is the driving force behind most of this behavior.
Yup.... and when I signed the form for the camp site next door to him the bottom said I gave up all of my rights to peace and quiet.

Dan
dpinvidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Travel View Post
Gentlemen turn off your engines! Or what is so difficult about understanding the sign that says "Please turn off engine while registering"?

Staying at a nice RV park with the pool along side the registering parking area. It is a large area and 4 or more rigs can park while registering.

While laying in the sun at the pool, reading, or just relaxing made these observations:

In about 1/2 of the diesel motor homes the driver leaves the motor running while registering. With two or 3 rigs registering the process typically takes over 10 minutes, sometimes longer. The noise and fumes makes the pool usage less enjoyable. This happens in spite of the sign in the parking area that says to turn off engine while registering.

Have not yet noticed a gas MH, a 5th wheel, or a TT registering where the driver left the engine on?

What is it about some drivers that make them want to leave a diesel engine running when not in the coach? I know I turn mine off even if just exiting for a minute or two.
Many times this problem is more a failure of the campsite to be organized and ready for their daily arrivals.

And a way too lengthy non modern registration process.

In an ideal world most of the "work" of registering would be completed online before guests arrive then the office would just have a packet ready with a map to their site.

But unfortunately its usually much more complicated than that especially when campgrounds have lots of extra fees they try to sneak into the process that tend to cause aggravation

In an ideal world the registration could be as simple as a few signatures on a tablet and the passing out of a welcome packet with the rules, etc. a task that could be accomplished by a roamer directly assigned to this task at a busy campground.

Many times registration backups are caused by the front desk people having too many none front desk tasks assigned to them.

I understand not wanting to turn off the engine right away, and if the registration process works as it should and was organized and speedy it shouldn't be an issue.

I second the comment about not wanting to do the full shut down until your in your site in case something would "go wrong" much better to be "stuck" in your site with a mechanical issue than blocking the entrance.

If registration was modernized to be completed online ahead of time people could just be given a welcome packet and a map and sent on to their site right away to get their vacation started.

I've never quite understood why parks build the pools by the office, but probably liability and thinking "it looks good" to see the amenities as you arrive.
MattFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:52 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFL View Post
Many times this problem is more a failure of the campsite to be organized and ready for their daily arrivals.

And a way too lengthy non modern registration process.

In an ideal world most of the "work" of registering would be completed online before guests arrive then the office would just have a packet ready with a map to their site.

But unfortunately its usually much more complicated than that especially when campgrounds have lots of extra fees they try to sneak into the process that tend to cause aggravation

In an ideal world the registration could be as simple as a few signatures on a tablet and the passing out of a welcome packet with the rules, etc. a task that could be accomplished by a roamer directly assigned to this task at a busy campground.

Many times registration backups are caused by the front desk people having too many none front desk tasks assigned to them.

I understand not wanting to turn off the engine right away, and if the registration process works as it should and was organized and speedy it shouldn't be an issue.

I second the comment about not wanting to do the full shut down until your in your site in case something would "go wrong" much better to be "stuck" in your site with a mechanical issue than blocking the entrance.

If registration was modernized to be completed online ahead of time people could just be given a welcome packet and a map and sent on to their site right away to get their vacation started.

I've never quite understood why parks build the pools by the office, but probably liability and thinking "it looks good" to see the amenities as you arrive.
This.

I generally shut my engine off 99% of the time at a registration booth unless I know for certain it's going to be a 30 second thing. There are also some places that if you call a little ahead and reserve they say go ahead and park in your assigned spot then come and register afterward... those places do it right IMO. Hats off to those park owners.

The others that like to make it a 30 minute or more process blocking the entire entrance/exit to the park is just crazy. After a long days drive, even if it is still early afternoon/evening I just want to get parked, get setup and kick back with a cold one to let the driving stress melt away.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
This.

I generally shut my engine off 99% of the time at a registration booth unless I know for certain it's going to be a 30 second thing. There are also some places that if you call a little ahead and reserve they say go ahead and park in your assigned spot then come and register afterward... those places do it right IMO. Hats off to those park owners.

The others that like to make it a 30 minute or more process blocking the entire entrance/exit to the park is just crazy. After a long days drive, even if it is still early afternoon/evening I just want to get parked, get setup and kick back with a cold one to let the driving stress melt away.
I understand it taking longer if someone doesnt have a reservation but it should still be a streamlined process.

Call ahead arrivals and going to direct to site sounds great, and shouldn't be too much to ask for especially if someone has a reservation, which means the park most likely already has a credit card, so its not like they'd be allowing people access to sites that haven't been paid for.
MattFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:25 AM   #67

I know there are so many thoughts on the cool down topic. I started wondering where I came up with my adopted policy of the five minute cool down. So I re-read parts of my manual and this is what I found:

Except in an emergency, do not shut down the engine when the coolant temperature is above 194F (90C). To do so could damage the engine.

With the vehicle stopped, place the transmission in the neutral (N) position and set the parking brake.

It is important to idle an engine for 3 to 5 min- utes before shutting it down. This allows the lu- bricating oil and the coolant to carry heat away from the combustion chambers, bearings, shafts, and seals.

IMPORTANT: Long periods of idling are not good for an engine because the combustion chamber temperatures drop so low that the fuel may not burn completely. This will cause
to clog the piston rings and may result in stuck valves.

Do not idle the engine for excessively long periods.

Turn the ignition key to the OFF position and shut down the engine.

I rarely see my temps above 194, so maybe I will modify the procedure a bit and do a couple minutes while I get my check in paperwork in order. Sorry I know the horse has well expired, but maybe this will help others.

2005 Coachman Encore 40TS
CAT C7
Freightliner Chassis
Tow - 09 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
G6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #68

autum73 makes a good point. If the engine temp is below 194*, it is safe to shut down. When we come off the interstate, and drive 2 minutes to a fuel stop or campground, the engine temp is down to 180* or lower. That tells me the oil and coolant have removed the excess heat from the combustion chambers, shafts and seals and it's safe to shut down. Everyone should be able to use the engine temp to determine when it's safe to shut down. However, there will always be some who just won't be happy till they have burned more fuel to do it the way they always have.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #69

Based on the pyro in my duramax, 5 minutes is an extreme. Even pulling heavy right off the freeway, it takes no more that 2-3 minutes after I get off the throttle for the EGT to reach 350-400 and be safe to shut down. And that is way less and any campground entrance I have seen. Maybe the heavy duty rig are hotter but I doubt it..
Old 03-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Myth and ignorance if you would like a short sweet answer. You have three types of engines in most motor homes you see on the road. Pre-emission, EPA 2007, and EPA 2010. Each of have different cool down and idle requirements and people who owned pre-emission engines never have learned that the new ones (2007 and newer) require different shut down procedures.

Extended idle on EPA 2007 and 2010 engines will cause premature failure in the DPF systems so it is either go to high idle or just shut them off. Cooling these engines off is accomplished by exiting the interstate and slowing down. You can just shut them down when arriving at the fuel station or campground.

Ditto.

VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine