RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Gentlemen turn off your engines!

Gentlemen turn off your engines! Or what is so difficult about understanding the sign that says "Please turn off engine while registering"?

Staying at a nice RV park with the pool along side the registering parking area. It is a large area and 4 or more rigs can park while registering.

While laying in the sun at the pool, reading, or just relaxing made these observations:

In about 1/2 of the diesel motor homes the driver leaves the motor running while registering. With two or 3 rigs registering the process typically takes over 10 minutes, sometimes longer. The noise and fumes makes the pool usage less enjoyable. This happens in spite of the sign in the parking area that says to turn off engine while registering.

Have not yet noticed a gas MH, a 5th wheel, or a TT registering where the driver left the engine on?

What is it about some drivers that make them want to leave a diesel engine running when not in the coach? I know I turn mine off even if just exiting for a minute or two.

Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #2

maybe....

other folks are in the rig and want the ac to continue...

they don't like to shut off a diesel for only a few minutes...

they don't think it's going to take so long to check in...

it's their generator and not their engine...

... who knows

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
maybe....

other folks are in the rig and want the ac to continue...

they don't like to shut off a diesel for only a few minutes...

they don't think it's going to take so long to check in...

it's their generator and not their engine...

... who knows
or it is a hot day and they just rolled in off of the interstate and would prefer to allow the engine to cool down a bit before shutting down.

or they simply did not see the sign

or they are idling in protest over the absolutely absurd amount of time it takes to check into most campgrounds.

With that said, my policy is to avoid causing wrinkled noses and interrupted conversations whenever possible. So in the unlikely event that you find me sitting at the curb idling, it is either for a good reason, or because I'll be gone quicker than you can say Mai Tai. Best Wishes.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #4

This might just be the most serious first wold problem ever to be posted. JK
Old 03-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #5

This is especially important when there's a booth check-in. We've volunteered and sometimes the booth was our gig. Even with a sign right at the window folks had to be asked to turn them off.

Actually, we found more diesel trucks leaving their engine run than motorhomes. It's extremely difficult to hear; it seems the noise just gathers between the booth and the truck/RV. Also, how would you like breathing fumes all day?

If someone is in the motorhome it's not going to get hot that fast if the AC is off. They can open a window for the short time. Vehicle manuels even state it's not necessary to let the engine run. I'll totally agree on this one.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:27 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
This might just be the most serious first wold problem ever to be posted. JK
Touche'
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Travel View Post
Gentlemen turn off your engines! Or what is so difficult about understanding the sign that says "Please turn off engine while registering"?

Staying at a nice RV park with the pool along side the registering parking area. It is a large area and 4 or more rigs can park while registering.

While laying in the sun at the pool, reading, or just relaxing made these observations:

In about 1/2 of the diesel motor homes the driver leaves the motor running while registering. With two or 3 rigs registering the process typically takes over 10 minutes, sometimes longer. The noise and fumes makes the pool usage less enjoyable. This happens in spite of the sign in the parking area that says to turn off engine while registering.

Have not yet noticed a gas MH, a 5th wheel, or a TT registering where the driver left the engine on?

What is it about some drivers that make them want to leave a diesel engine running when not in the coach? I know I turn mine off even if just exiting for a minute or two.
That would be a thing I would be going to the office and mentioning to the manager.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #8

With any Diesel engine its a bad idea to just shut them down after coming off the road. The engine and turbo needs to cool down properly in order to prevent damage. That is especially true with the newer diesels with the after treatment systems. I know with Heavy Equipment CAT has a delayed ignition shut down to where you can turn the key to off and even pull the key out of the ignition and the engine will still run for awhile until the computer see all the temps stabilize. I don't know that the over the road engines in the RV market are doing this yet but does hit at how serious they are about letting the engine cool

https://youtu.be/CTUjl9_B_0w
AK2ND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2ND View Post
With any Diesel engine its a bad idea to just shut them down after coming off the road. The engine and turbo needs to cool down properly in order to prevent damage. That is especially true with the newer diesels with the after treatment systems. I know with Heavy Equipment CAT has a delayed ignition shut down to where you can turn the key to off and even pull the key out of the ignition and the engine will still run for awhile until the computer see all the temps stabilize. I don't know that the over the road engines in the RV market are doing this yet but does hit at how serious they are about letting the engine cool

https://youtu.be/CTUjl9_B_0w

I have installed a couple of new diesels in boats and they always say that motors should not be just shut off when you come to a stop. You need to allow them to cool down for at least 5 minutes at an idle or you risk ruining the motor. These are all small hp motors. Larger motors need more time.
Traveler2162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #10

If your at the check in desk, your engine has cooled down enough to shut it off, unless you just climbed a mountain to get there.

A few minutes of easy driving is all you need to cool your turbo.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My engine manual says, "The common belief that idling a diesel engine causes no engine damage is wrong. Idling produces sulfuric acid which is absorbed by the lubricating oil and eats into the bearings, rings, valve stems, and engine surfaces."

After a long pull or interstate driving, a brief cool down idle should be accomplished. However, if it has taken some time to travel slowly up to the registration office from the interstate, that will cool the engine just as a period at idle will.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #12

It makes sense to me that if you exit an interstate and then immediately stop at a rest stop, or for fuel perhaps a short cool down is warranted. But in most cases, by the time you exit the main highway, traverse local traffic, and pull into a campground engines have cooled sufficiently to turn them off.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
For me, when I pull off the highway my diesel needs to cool down a bit before I shut it down. These things are massive and make a lot of heat. Turbo bearings don't last long if you shut down hot all the time. A tow truck for a DP is a HUGE bill compared to a pickup truck. Turbos aren't cheap either. Trans cooling too. Imagine the price of one of those because you didn't run a cool down.

That said I am polite about it and curb idle away from places where people would be affected by my noise and fumes. Rare that isn't possible.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
My engine manual says, "The common belief that idling a diesel engine causes no engine damage is wrong. Idling produces sulfuric acid which is absorbed by the lubricating oil and eats into the bearings, rings, valve stems, and engine surfaces."

After a long pull or interstate driving, a brief cool down idle should be accomplished. However, if it has taken some time to travel slowly up to the registration office from the interstate, that will cool the engine just as a period at idle will.
Exactly!

2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine