Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #1

GEO method

How many of you use the GEO method to clean your holding tanks? If you do, what is your recipe?
mmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2017, 01:07 PM   #2

I use 1 cup of Calgon and 1 cup of dawn dish washing soap or laundry detergent.
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:10 PM   #3

In addition, do you put this mixture in the black and gray tanks through toilet, shower and sinks?
Old 09-27-2017, 02:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccormick View Post
In addition, do you put this mixture in the black and gray tanks through toilet, shower and sinks?
How else would it get in the tanks????

-Kevin
Old 09-27-2017, 06:44 PM   #5

Duh! Just wasn't thinking
Old 09-27-2017, 09:45 PM   #6

However you want to spend money is none of my business, however, I've used only water for several decades without holding tank problems, and it is cheap.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:42 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
At home after a trip I fill my two black and two grey tanks completely, let them soak a day or so and then drain them.

I then add one cup Dawn and about two gallons of water to each black tank. Maybe a gallon of mixed Dawn and water to the grey tanks.

That stays in there while it is sitting, waiting for the next trip. I keep both toilets half filled so the seals don't dry out. Two toilets 13 years and still all original seals with no leak down.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:49 AM   #8

I have been wanting to try it, but have had no luck finding the Calgon water softener. I recently returned from a 4200 mile month long loop from Louisiana to Yellowstone and back going through parts of 9 state, I checked for it at every time we stopped to resupply at various grocery stores and Wal-Mart's and never found the stuff.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:13 AM   #9

For our next trip out, I will be adding 1 cup of granular TSP and then filling the black and grey water tanks to about 2/3 full. TSP makes water wetter and should help clean out each tank. When I get to the campground, I will dump them. Will be interesting.
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I have been wanting to try it, but have had no luck finding the Calgon water softener. I recently returned from a 4200 mile month long loop from Louisiana to Yellowstone and back going through parts of 9 state, I checked for it at every time we stopped to resupply at various grocery stores and Wal-Mart's and never found the stuff.
Just started doing it last month and it works great. I found it at Wal-Mart after searching for about 15 minutes it was on a shelf with a bunch of odd ball stuff by fabric softener. Also available on Amazon
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:20 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Two cups of Pine-sol, and on occasion a bit of Calgon.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #12

Liquid Calgon (I think it's the same chemical as dry, but no one carries dry anymore) 2 caps plus 2 Calgon caps of Dawn. I use the Calgon cap as a measuring device. Any extra drains back into the bottle and I don't care if I get a bit of Dawn into the Calgon.

1 cap of Calgon into the grey tank every so often, not a as worried about that because there is already a lot of soap going there.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #13

I wash our dishes (with Dawn) in a pan in the kitchen sink and dump the soapy water down the toilet when done. Then, I put about a cup of Calgon down the toilet into the empty black tank about once a month. Works for me.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #14

we are pretty basic... each time we dump the black tank, we add a 1/2 of laundry soap, and a 1/2 cup of oxyclean.... we add back 4 toilets full of water... on our trip home we always dump 200 miles or so from home, and than dump a second time 25 miles out of town...

we full time 4 months a year... and have been using the same procedure for years..

we only use the above soap and oxyclean on the grey tanks on the way home to put the unit away....