Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #1

Georgetown

Poking at buying a 2011 forest river Georgetown. I know it is considered by many to be an entrylevel RV .

Any pro or cons to this brand?
Schoolsout2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #2

Check the shower, I mean actually get in the shower, it's really tight.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Georgetown

I own a 2011 model 378 & bought it because it was a the most bang for the buck...mine has the fireplace in the main room...the documentation is lacking but the components are good, especially for the price...the paint job is excellent..it has a long wheel base & rides good...be sure it has an Onan Generator which was listed as an upgrade.
levendoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #4

We're reasonably satisfied with our 325. Not the greatest in terms of the stuff FR actually builds - a lot of the "oak" in the cabinets is veneered hemlock, and they've got some marginal-quality upholster fabrics in a couple of areas.

As an engineer with some manufacturing experience, I have been surprised by the way the cabinets seem to have been built, inside the rig from raw materials. I'd have expected cabinet modules made in a furniture shop and installed complete. The methods of attachment were scary. The cabinets I replaced were held up by 3/4" woodscrews into 1/8" Lauan plywood that was glued to the styrofoam ceiling insulation. I only found 4 screws and two long nails that seemed to attach to structure.
It was 8 years old when we bought it from the original owners. It had been very well cared for and it was competitively priced.

We've had a water ingress issue into the overhead cabinets in the dinette/living room slide, but no major damage except a mold infestation in the hemlock cabinet frames. I built and installed replacement cabinets.

FR's adhesives apllicators are careless. Both the top blade seal on the LR slide and the bottom one on the bedroom slide have peeled off. The LR slide was responsible for the leak. The b/r slide has a gap big enough to let squirrels in. The'y both be stuck down with the 3M special purpose stick-um before we go out again.

The other issues we've got are a weak roof a/c in the living room (lukewarm air rather than cold) and and a failure in Ford's a/c where it quits after about 45 minutes.

As I say - "reasonably satisfied". These things always need something!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are very happy with ours after 8 years of use. Can't wait to start again as spring approaches here in the north. LOL.
JM2CW
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:25 AM   #6

We were looking at a new one that was heavily discounted but could not make a deal. It was not our ideal MH so we are being chooses as we like our older MH.
Schoolsout2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
One thing I always consider when purchasing any vehicle is the resale value. In all my searches and comparisons that brand seems much lower than most. Just a consideration.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We were actually going to purchase a new one when we stumbled upon the coach we have now. They were nice and a good bang for the buck. The exterior paint was good but some of the interior fit and finish was just a bit subject. In our case I'm glad we took a little break befor signing the purchase agreement. We love the coach we have now.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
We're reasonably satisfied with our 325. Not the greatest in terms of the stuff FR actually builds - a lot of the "oak" in the cabinets is veneered hemlock, and they've got some marginal-quality upholster fabrics in a couple of areas.

As an engineer with some manufacturing experience, I have been surprised by the way the cabinets seem to have been built, inside the rig from raw materials. I'd have expected cabinet modules made in a furniture shop and installed complete. The methods of attachment were scary. The cabinets I replaced were held up by 3/4" woodscrews into 1/8" Lauan plywood that was glued to the styrofoam ceiling insulation. I only found 4 screws and two long nails that seemed to attach to structure.
It was 8 years old when we bought it from the original owners. It had been very well cared for and it was competitively priced.

We've had a water ingress issue into the overhead cabinets in the dinette/living room slide, but no major damage except a mold infestation in the hemlock cabinet frames. I built and installed replacement cabinets.

FR's adhesives apllicators are careless. Both the top blade seal on the LR slide and the bottom one on the bedroom slide have peeled off. The LR slide was responsible for the leak. The b/r slide has a gap big enough to let squirrels in. The'y both be stuck down with the 3M special purpose stick-um before we go out again.

The other issues we've got are a weak roof a/c in the living room (lukewarm air rather than cold) and and a failure in Ford's a/c where it quits after about 45 minutes.

As I say - "reasonably satisfied". These things always need something!
Your story is enough to steer me away from that brand. I wouldn't be satisfied at all with something built the way you describe. I'd be on the phone with the manufacturer wanting to know why all this happened and you may get some help. This posting alone will cost them business not to mention their reputation. You've experienced defects in workmanship.
hit the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #10

We looked at several new Georgtowns also and the quality was just what we wanted as far as the interior went. We eventually went with a new Bounder instead.