Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2014, 08:45 PM   #1
MPH

Georgie Boy...what kind of quality?

I know Georgie Boy went out of business. That is about the only thing I know about GB. But I am going to look at a '97 GB tomorrow and sure would like to know a little more before hand. It is a 38 ft diesel pusher (cat/allison), has a super slide, and has something I know nothing about--a propane generator.

Can anyone attest to the quality of Georgie Boy coaches? Should I skip looking at the GB and just go on to look at the '97 Monaco Windsor, the '98 Newmar Dutchstar and the '99 Fleetwood Discovery?

Any and all input is appreciated.

Mel
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 09:42 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I had a 1990 GB CruiseMaster, for 9 years, traded on my present GeorgieBoy Landau, new in 2001. They are well made, reliable and have some good features. Both of my motorhomes have been relatively trouble free. (2000 Landau went back to the factory early on, great since then)

Mine also has a propane generator, it has worked well for us. During the summer we often run the genny all day on the road to use the roof AC's, or for a day or 2 at a dog show, propane is not hard to find and burns clean and is quiet. (Gas genny needs to be de-carboned periodically.Propane does not) However if you plan to boondock or live "off the grid" for extended periods your propane will only last for a few days constant use. In that case it is more convenient to have the genny run off the same fuel as the engine...

With any MH of that age, condition is important, good maintenance records, really check for water damage or delamination, a rubber roof is usually good for 12-15 years, belts, hoses and tires are good for 6-7 years tops.
The other three coaches you mention all have a very good reputation. If the GeorgieBoy was in the best condition of the 4 it should certainly be considered. Interior layout and how it fits your needs is a big factor...

Brochure on the 99 Cruisemaster is here: Cruise Master by George Boy

Construction, Aluminum framing in sidewalls and roof, galvanized steel in below floor compartments.

Good luck ...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I owned a 1997 Georgie Boy Class C Maverick. The RV portion (less the Ford Chassis, which had several problems) held up well, sold it in 2009 after we bought a 2002 Monaco Windsor in 2008.

I will say that the construction of the Monaco is substantially better then the Class C Georgie Boy. The Chassis on the Windsor is rock sold and rides great. The attention to detail on the Monaco is very good, we have Walnut Cabinets which are top notch.

Good luck
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:21 AM   #4
MPH

Thanks for replies. I will look at the GB, along with the others.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:11 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I have a 97 GB Cruise Master on the Ford chasis. I bought it last year and did a complete service then took a long trip. No problems then and today.

My generator is a Kroler 5.5 gas and i feel it is under powered. The PO put alot of money and effort into trying to make it run both ac's and never had success. I'm happy with moderate power.

The coach is in excellent condition and has cleaned up really well.
RoscoeAndTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #6

We had a 2005 Georgie Boy Landau. The only reason we got rid of it was that we wanted a bigger rv with 4 slides and a DP. It was a well made motorhome.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #7

MPH,

I have a 2001 GBM model 3815 with a 300 Cat/Allison 6 speed on a Freightliner chassis and a single living room slide. I bought it 3 years ago with 43k miles. My wife and I travel at least 7k a year in it with no major problems.
Pros: With the FCC chassis you have 24/7 support and parts are easy to get for the chassis. The CAT engine is strong. Most appliance manufacturers are still in business so no problems there as well.

Cons: The problem is GBM specific parts. GBM has been out of business a long time and there is no direct support. I'm currently searching for slide rollers and it is like a scavenger hunt to find them. If it weren't for IRV2 I would be SOL! There is a Georgie Boy owners website but it is very limited.
Also the GBM front cap on older models is longer than most other RV's and tends to have a lot of squeaks and rattles. I am constantly under the dash and front end tightening up things and just when I think I have the noises resolved I hit a stretch of bad road and have to start the process all over again.
Also several of the basement doors are showing signs of skin delamination which I will have to address soon.

This was a super clean low mileage coach (supposedly always covered) when we bought it. We have stored it under covered parking since we have owned it as well.

At least two of the other models you mentioned are still around and factory support is available. That is an important factor!

Do I like the Cruisemaster? Yes. Will I keep it? Yes. Would I buy another one? Probably not!

Sorry for the lengthy dissertation but you asked for opinions and this is mine.

WM
Old 09-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our Onan 6.5kw propane generator has been very troublesome.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimberleyman View Post
MPH,

I have a 2001 GBM model 3815 with a 300 Cat/Allison 6 speed on a Freightliner chassis and a single living room slide. I bought it 3 years ago with 43k miles. My wife and I travel at least 7k a year in it with no major problems.
Pros: With the FCC chassis you have 24/7 support and parts are easy to get for the chassis. The CAT engine is strong. Most appliance manufacturers are still in business so no problems there as well.

Cons: The problem is GBM specific parts. GBM has been out of business a long time and there is no direct support. I'm currently searching for slide rollers and it is like a scavenger hunt to find them. If it weren't for IRV2 I would be SOL! There is a Georgie Boy owners website but it is very limited.
Also the GBM front cap on older models is longer than most other RV's and tends to have a lot of squeaks and rattles. I am constantly under the dash and front end tightening up things and just when I think I have the noises resolved I hit a stretch of bad road and have to start the process all over again.
Also several of the basement doors are showing signs of skin delamination which I will have to address soon.

This was a super clean low mileage coach (supposedly always covered) when we bought it. We have stored it under covered parking since we have owned it as well.

At least two of the other models you mentioned are still around and factory support is available. That is an important factor!

Do I like the Cruisemaster? Yes. Will I keep it? Yes. Would I buy another one? Probably not!

Sorry for the lengthy dissertation but you asked for opinions and this is mine.

WM
I really appreciate the info. Lots to think about. I think I will go look at an Itasca here in my home town and then weekend after next, go to the DFW area to look at some other coaches (Newmar, Monaco, etc.)

Thanks again,

Mel
Old 09-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought my 36' 2005 for $30,000 several months ago and have not had any problems. There is a recall about like one of the other people noted about the long front end about coming lose the refrig catching on fire. I go through and check everything on a regular basis tightening things that are lose. I purchased mine because it had low mileage, looked good and was cheap. Now that I have learned how to drive it and know what to look for I am ready to sell and buy a better unit. If I were you and it was my first LEARN HOW TO DRIVE ONE FIRST. I backed into the eve of my patio trying not to hit the gate. I drove through a 6" ditch thinking all would be ok, NOT! All the weight shifted and tore up one of my bay doors. I changed out the batteries and I guess when I installed one of the fuses blew but come to find out after I pulled all kinds of wire out to get to it there was a reset button on it and I did all that for nothing. After 10 months and 18 several hundred mile trips I feel like a pro. Get a set of walkie talkies they work great for backing up or just checking lights. Check out all the recalls on every model you buy. Some are really scary!
flangley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgie boy, quality