Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Get better service from your dealer

I keep seeing threads about customers having problems with their dealers Service department. While it is true that a lot of dealers and ser. mgrs. just don't seem to care. there are some things you can do to insure your chances of getting your RV repaired right the first time. First NEVER leave the coach at the dealers lot without a DETAILED list of problems. Never leave a list that says window leaks. Instead say window over the couch leaks at right front bottom while driving in heavy downpour. Not- house batteries go dead. But- House batteries go dead in one week while not plugged in. (not normal) while batteries going dead over six months while not plugged in, would be normal due to parasitic drains) Not- steps don't work right. But- steps don't always pull all the way in. Second. Be firm if you feel you haven't been treated right, but don't call names or curse the people.(even though they may deserve it) Then they will just get their back up and nothing will get done. Third Always try to check your coach in with the service manager, so you can go over the list with him.(this way he can't come back and say he wasn't aware of a problem.) Fourth If your dealer can't or won't fix your coach, call the manufacturer and ask him for a OK to go to another dealer. I had Bob Tiffin call me and ask if I would work on coachs that were from as far away as Texas. Fifth If you can't get your dealer to give an honest attempt at fxing your problems, Next time trade with someone else.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Larry,
An excellent post and information that members can apply not only with the dealer but here on the forum as well.

If members would be more descriptive about the problems their having other members would be able to give more precise information to resolve the problem faster.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto on the great post. Thanks for sharing your experience.

When we bought our new coach, I paid a bit of a premium for it in order to buy from my local dealer and I think it worked out well for me. Apparently it's true that many dealers are reluctant to even work on coaches not sold by them from your comment about Bob Tiffin calling you and asking you to consider working on rigs from other dealers.

I formed a relationship with a service writer at our dealer and on the first trip in for warranty work I provided him with a 7 page Word document with photos inserted so there would be NO question about what needed tending to. It worked well and having that relationship over the years really helped with our communications and keeping our coach in tip top shape.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I stay loyal to my dealer but they need to preform. I am friendly and cooperative and do not ask for things to be done---tomorrow.

I have always taken a written detailed list of the problems in with me to my dealer. If it is not in writting it is not in existence----I do every thing I can to discuss the list to see if there are questions. I leave all my contact numbers on the list. I try to check the repairs before I leave the repair location (not always possible).

Still I have had problems with repairs---and when I do I have found that ----#1. BE fair. make sure you are correct, wait for the explaination for why things do not look/preform as you believe they should. #2. If you are right, know why,then be patient and persistent with your explaination--hang in there-----but be persistent with a logical reasonable explaination. #3. Be prepared to ask specifically for what you think is the correct thing to do about the situation. #4. If not satisfied then move up the chain.

Most often I wind up with a resolution. I have had my dealer authorize repairs (making up for their mistakes) at other dealers.

I will say the only real perplexing problem I have had with my motor home is the inability of my dealer to do repairs correctly the first time. Some lousy jobs I just correct myself but I always notify the dealer of what I had to do---in writing, I document everything-------others I take it back as many times as it takes.

So the end result is I had to stop going to my dealer and have turned to the local Camping World---where I have found they so far have done things correctly. I had a real difference once over what they were charging me but I stayed the course patient and persistent and the service manager made a deal for a reasonable price.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Unless they are doing one big job..like putting on an awning, I don't leave the coach...I stay with it. If they are to do anything the least bit confusing there is no way the service writer can write up an explanation as well as you can explain it or point it out. BTDT
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have an 08 Rexhall, when it was under warranty Rexhall had a warranty service manager(I found out he did not last long) that we had to deal with. Several problems were not repaired correctley, or not touched at all. I was more then a little upset to say the least. I knew that it was going to be expensive for the work needed, and after a stroke I did not need the stress. A couple of months ago we wrote a letter to Bill Rex explaining the problems along with pictures and copys of emails. About two weeks later he called and we talked for close to an hour. Right now our motorhome is at the factory with the understanding that there is no rush, that the work needed can be fit in. The diffrence dealing with a small company is unbelievable. Bill knows that service is what makes loyal customers. This is our second Rexhall, and after dealng with Bill if we ever buy another motorhome you know what our first choice will be.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #7

I always say to the owner/manager "Please treat this coach like it was your own and you are going on a trip with your family. Fix what ever needs fixing and if you fix something you will guarantee your work." This usually works for me even though I've had the regulator replaced 3 times now in 3 months with no extra charge and the dash air fixed twice at no charge... When you let them know you are willing to pay to have it done right they listen and remember if it isn't right.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #8

In addition to the detail list of what is wrong, needs fixing, be sure to tell them how you want it fixed (if appropriate). If say the bathroom sink is cracked and all they do is fix the crack when you meant for them to replace the sink you might be dissapointed. Don't assume they will fix it the same way you would.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #9

Question?
If you take your motorhome to a dealer and he promises you to have it ready in two weeks and he still has it two months later; his excuse is always, waiting for parts, what should you do?
He would not give telephone number of parts supplier so I could call; his answer was he was taking care of it and I shouldn't bother the supplier.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
Question?
If you take your motorhome to a dealer and he promises you to have it ready in two weeks and he still has it two months later; his excuse is always, waiting for parts, what should you do?
He would not give telephone number of parts supplier so I could call; his answer was he was taking care of it and I shouldn't bother the supplier.
If you're talking to a tech & they're giving you that excuse, ask to speak to the service manager. If it's the service manager's excuse, ask to speak to the dealership manager, next the dealership owner. Keep working your way up until you get your answer & get it in writing. Document all phone calls with who/when/what was said. Sometimes, over the phone doesn't cut it & you'll have to make an in-person visit to the dealer. But don't make a scene. Be firm yet calm when stating what you need. I've had a service manager call a supplier as I stood right there with him & firmly asked for the phone to be handed to me so I could speak to the supplier. It can be done. Be persistent & don't give up. Squeaky wheel & all that.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Years ago I recall a story. CEO of GM was giving a speech yammering about how great their customer service was.. He picked a reporter at ramdom from the crowd and ask if he owned a GM product (Yes, a Chevy) any problems with dealer service? Well, as a matter of fact... (yes, he had some,, Dealer was very slow to address his issues the car being older)

By the time the press conference was over, The dealer had called his wife, Sent a porter with a loaner car to pick up his and it was on the hoist being fixed.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
travelers - thanks for the post
i think your raising the idea of ensure you have "good communication skills" is very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
...I will say the only real perplexing problem I have had with my motor home is the inability of my dealer to do repairs correctly the first time...
This so rings true for us with our local dealer. I can not fault the service writter - as he is equally perplexed!

regards, pdq
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
njs42 I wound not let Camping World touch my motorhome, I have had very bad dealings with them in the past. I'm sure not all Camping World's are bad, just most of them. I would rate them like this, Bowling Green, Ky. (D) Nashville, Tn. (F-) Myrtle Beach, SC. (F-) With our last Motorhome we had the living room slide stop working and the leveling jacks not coming up. While in Nashville we stopped at Camping World for the problems, two days later and $1350.00 we hit the road fixed they said. got to our next stop Myrtle Beach and guess what no slide and no jacks at all, so I go to a Camping World with my repair bills in hand and they tell me sorry we only warranty what we do here, no other CW's work. If you buy a bad tv at WalMart in Ca. you can take it back to a Wal-Mart in Fl. From my understanding Camping World is company owned so it should not matter which one does the work right? So I spent $389.00 more with CW to return home with no slide and no jacks again. After getting home I took it to a small shop that has done work for me before to find out there was two wires going to the power gear motor that battery acid had gotten on and eaten the wires, 50.00 dollars later and it was fixed. I called CW head office in Bowling Green to ask for refunds and was told they would check into it and get back to me, that was back in March 2011 have not heard anything so far.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
njs42 I wound not let Camping World touch my motorhome

I knew when I wrote that line someone would challenge it----in another thread I heard a lot about CW that really stunned me. I guess they are all not created equal. But I will say that the one I use here in Fife, Wa. has treated me fine "so far".

I do not like their pricing, and the discussion I refered to was about them wanting to charge 2 1/2 hours labor to R&R my hot water heater. I can remove it in ten minutes: it just needed a heating element. I had to stay the course and just wear the guy down---never lost my temper just kept saying "you know that is not right". He said "but that is what the book calls for". "Yes, but you know that is not right". About five times---finally he gave up----because he knew I was correct.

Finally he agreed to an hour. I watched the guy remove it----10 minutes just like I said. He managed to stretch an hour out but I expect to pay an hour anytime I am in a shop.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote