Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2014, 04:05 AM   #1

Getting a 60 pound RV cover to the roof ?

I will be getting my first motorhome next month. I need to park it under some big trees. I want to cover it when not in use. From what I learned the best way to install a cover is from the roof. I am not sure about carrying up such a heavy thing. You guys with covers, how do you install them?

Also, can you suggest what to look for in a cover please ?

My coach will be a 33 class A Newmar Kountry Star.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 04:57 AM   #2

My 35' motorhome cover is 75lbs. I store cover in a tub. With front in last. When installing I set tub with cover in it at rear of motorhome. Tie a rope long enough to reach motorhome roof to front of cover. Climb up on roof. Using rope pull cover up onto roof a little at a time. This way you should only have to lift less than half the weight at a time. When cover is on roof. Spread it out its full length front to rear. Then start pushing sides out and down moving front to rear. Helps if 2 people do the install.
This is how I did mine before I got the idea to use the front end loader on my tractor. Much easier to do by myself.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:02 AM   #3

If you cannot carry it on your shoulder or backpack style, then I suggest you pull it up with a rope, or put a pulley on something higher (like a tree) and again use a rope and pulley arrangement.

Good luck

Edit: I see Ronjhall was answering as I was, the idea he suggested seems to be great , I have never had a cover because at home I keep my RV in a garage so I do not have hands on experience.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:13 AM   #4

Best way to install a cover is store your MH indoors!
CAT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:36 AM   #5

That would really depend on the individual. Most men can easily carry 50 to 75 lbs or so on their backs as long as it is securely held and close to the center of gravity. If money is no problem, there is always a ladder lift like roofers use....
Old 02-28-2014, 06:51 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Send the DW up, you'll be much safer. Oh, am I in trouble!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Send the DW up, you'll be much safer. Oh, am I in trouble!

Yeah... and make sure you give her constant instructions on how to do it too. They love that....
Old 02-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First I do not like RV covers. if some grit gets under them bad things can happen when the wind moves them about a bit and they sand the finish of the RV making it a very dull boy.

What I do like is carports,, Or rather RV ports (Giant car ports) these make no contact with the RV, but still protect it from dripping sap and such quite nicely, Make good patios when the RV is off-site.

Now: how to get it to roof.

Make a rope sling

Climb up to roof with rope

Lower rope to your ground person

Attach to sling

Pull rope up to roof

Option.

Toss rope over tree limb over RV

Pull up sling from the ground and boat hook it over to the roof.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
Since you will need to unfold it after it is up top, why not do it on the ground first? Easier from the front > attach a strong, light weight rope to the center bottom at the rear of the cover, lay the cover in front of the MH with the outside surface up (like it will set on the MH) , toss the rope to the top of the MH and start pulling the cover up. Work the leading edge of the cover (where the rope is attached) over horns, lights, A/C units, vents etc. to the rear where the ladder is located. As you climb down the ladder you simply guide the cover down with you. Then you can stand on the ground and straighten the sides and attach the straps.
Not hard, just a PIA with all the pulling and straightening as you move toward the back. After several times you will get tired and build a metal carport type shelter.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #10

David,

Now that you have read all of the posts about not using covers, building a carport, parking inside, etc. you can see that you will not always get the response you asked for...

Regarding your original question, my cover is for a 29 ft.class A, and was getting a little heavy for an older guy to balance on my shoulder while climbing a ladder. For the past few years, I tie a rope on the folded cover and pull it up from the ground when I am already on the roof.

For the type of cover to buy; I suggest contacting the manufacturers (like Camco) since they offer fabrics with different properties for different environments.

Also, if you exercise your generator with the motorhome cover in place, don't forget to pull the cover edge away from the generator exhaust pipe (ask me how I know).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triatik View Post
I will be getting my first motorhome next month. I need to park it under some big trees. I want to cover it when not in use. From what I learned the best way to install a cover is from the roof. I am not sure about carrying up such a heavy thing. You guys with covers, how do you install them?

Also, can you suggest what to look for in a cover please ?

My coach will be a 33 class A Newmar Kountry Star.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Don't use one as it causes more damage when it's on the coach versus having none at all.

If you are worried about tree sap then purchase a blue tarp to cover the top of the coach only.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions. If I do buy a cover now I have a way or two to get it to the roof. :-)
Old 02-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #13

Get a telescoping ladder and pull the tarp up using the latter as an incline. Once on the roof, place it in the middle, and if you have folded it properly, like the truckers do, spreading out the tarp is a snap. All this can be done by one person.

As a side note, an telescoping ladder extended enough to reach the top stem on the RV's top one or two steps, with the ladder at an incline, provides a safer, and easier access to the roof, and uses the top portion of the built in ladder for only the top portion used. And a 12 foot telescoping ladder slider down to a length that easily is carried in a hold, truck, bedroom, car trunk, or wherever!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm with the no cover crowd, however with that said, the one thing that has not been mentioned...

BE CAREFUL. If you do find a way to carry the entire cover up the ladder, make sure the combined weight of you and the cover do not exceed the ladder's max weight.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote