Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you belong to the Elks, Petaluma Elks is a good spot to stay, easy drive to the City or Napa wine country.

Don
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heading north you can either take 101, which drops you off onto Van Ness Ave in SF - two lanes each direction if I recall, but all city traffic up to the GG Bridge. On the bridge trucks, trailers, and motorhomes use the far right lane, NOT the inside lane.

As an alternate route you can take I280, which drops you off onto 19th Ave and again it's city streets as yo go past Golden Gate Park, and on to the GG Bridge.

We have done both routes with an F450 Crew Cab pulling a 38 foot fifth wheel with no problems, but then very few driving situations intimidate me. If you are comfortable driving your rig you should have no problems with either route, other than having to deal with traffic.

In both cases you're heading north on the GG Bridge so you don't have to worry about paying a toll.

If you go up I880 on the East Bay and cross the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge you are on a freeway the entire way, but you'll pay a very high toll to cross the bridge - the last time we went that way was in 1987; the toll on the GG Bridge at that time was $2 if I recall. We paid $20 in our Chevy 1 ton Crew cab pulling a 24 ft trailer to cross the Richmond Bridge. The GG Bridge is now around $6 for a car - I have no idea how much it costs for larger vehicles towing but I do know you pay per axle if you are more than 2 axles total.

Some people don't mind paying tolls - I will go out of my way to avoid it if possible! I agree with the idea of tolls, though - it's basically a use tax: if you use something you should pay for it. On the other hand, I'm not REQUIRED to use it, so I choose to not use it, and not pay for it.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #17

RichO You are correct I was thinking 99 on the east side of the valley was 101 I forgot 101 went through Paso Robles (and I used to drive it every week from SLO to PASO 30 yrs ago- brain fart I guess
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have driven hwy 1 from Westport way north of SF to Ventura . Westport is the most northern part of Hwy 1. Lots of curves, hills but scenery is beautiful. If I wanted to travel fast I'd fly. Or drive the ever boring interstates. Both times I went through SF on 101 and the GG bridge. Lots of traffic but doable in left lane.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Heading north you can either take 101, which drops you off onto Van Ness Ave in SF - two lanes each direction if I recall, but all city traffic up to the GG Bridge. On the bridge trucks, trailers, and motorhomes use the far right lane, NOT the inside lane.

As an alternate route you can take I280, which drops you off onto 19th Ave and again it's city streets as yo go past Golden Gate Park, and on to the GG Bridge.

We have done both routes with an F450 Crew Cab pulling a 38 foot fifth wheel with no problems, but then very few driving situations intimidate me. If you are comfortable driving your rig you should have no problems with either route, other than having to deal with traffic.

In both cases you're heading north on the GG Bridge so you don't have to worry about paying a toll.

If you go up I880 on the East Bay and cross the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge you are on a freeway the entire way, but you'll pay a very high toll to cross the bridge - the last time we went that way was in 1987; the toll on the GG Bridge at that time was $2 if I recall. We paid $20 in our Chevy 1 ton Crew cab pulling a 24 ft trailer to cross the Richmond Bridge. The GG Bridge is now around $6 for a car - I have no idea how much it costs for larger vehicles towing but I do know you pay per axle if you are more than 2 axles total.

Some people don't mind paying tolls - I will go out of my way to avoid it if possible! I agree with the idea of tolls, though - it's basically a use tax: if you use something you should pay for it. On the other hand, I'm not REQUIRED to use it, so I choose to not use it, and not pay for it.
This is the best advice you have received so far. 280 is far better than 101. Going through the city is simplified by going this route. Stay away from 101.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
You could always sell your rig north of the city then buy another south of the city.... lol.... Just kidding...

It's a lot like driving through Houston at 5:00 pm on Friday afternoon.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
We did the I-280 to 19th Ave to Highway 101 with our 38' motorhome pulling our toad. Just remember to be in the MIDDLE lane when you get onto 19th Ave and you will be ok. And the drive across the Golden Gate is really a piece of cake and a nice view.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #22

Don't even think of Lombard Street!!!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Going up North from Los Angeles to Vancouver, Canada this summer, and I'm taking the 5 all the way. I don't like to stop and see all the red, yellow and green lights in the city. If you have lots of time to travel from one stop light to the next go for it. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #24

For those that haven't been on 19th Ave through SF, it's six lanes wide and separated by a median. Much larger than freeways in most states. There are lights, but they are timed to allow for smooth traffic flow. Just depends on the day and/ or time of day you are traveling through. Besides who would want to drive near SF and not go into the city; it's fabulous!
Old 06-02-2013, 05:10 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
X2 --for Lombard Street. Don,t even think about. I did in a stick shift car in the 80's, wore out my brakes.

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Going up North from Los Angeles to Vancouver, Canada this summer, and I'm taking the 5 all the way. I don't like to stop and see all the red, yellow and green lights in the city. If you have lots of time to travel from one stop light to the next go for it. deSanford
Yes I'm sure the lights were timed as I almost made it across each intersection to wait for the next light to change to green and prayed I might make it to the next "parking" lot on the WIDE street to the GG Bridge. I approve of my "QUOTE". deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #27

Just did it yesterday and it was no problem at all. We even went to Golden Gate Park and found parking for two motorhomes with towed's three different times as we went from place to place in the park. Made it into and out of the city with little to no effort at all.