Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Getting a Class A thru San Francisco

Anyone know a good route to get us thru San Francisco heading north? Wife wants to spend a few days in the area and then head north.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #2

We've driven through the city several times in our motorhomes. No big deal. There are tons of buses & trucks driving all around the area. Just don't hit anything...

Old 05-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
Anyone know a good route to get us thru San Francisco heading north? Wife wants to spend a few days in the area and then head north.
Whatever you do, don't take 101 all the way in to San Francisco to cross the Golden Gate bridge. You'll be driving city streets in very heavy traffic. MH's crossing the Golden gate have to stay in the inside lane and I keep hearing of ripped off mirrors etc.

Last year we drove all the way up the Pacific coast. From Monterey we took 101 as far as San Jose then split off towards Oakland and crossed the bridge from Richmond towards San Rafael, then picked up 101 again. That way we bypassed downtown San Fran altogether. Freeway all the way and a much easier journey.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Be sure to have a dinghy when you travel.

I'll try this again.
I live in the East Bay.
I do not like driving my car in San Francisco let alone my 36' M.H.
If I were you and I was towing I would fine a place to stop at eather South or North of San Francisco then use the little car to run around in.
Just a thought.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #5

Access through the city is not bad. We will be spending one day there during our vacation this July as we head north from one destination to another. I have be there before with a 27' TT and I managed to get though just fine, this time we will be in out 27' motorhome. Like a previous posted pointed out there are plenty of large bis and truck all over the city.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Unless you have been in SF you may not know that there is NO freeway through the city, it's all city streets and traffic lights, lots of traffic, narrow streets, and poor signage.

Is it bad? That depends on what you are driving and your tolerance is for city driving.
I have been through it many times without an RV and if I found myself in San Jose with an RV heading north to Novato and I had the time I would go around SF on 680 - 780 -80 - 37.
Dennis_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the information. We may stay south of SF and then skirt the city when we leave....I have driven thru large cities and its not my favorite thing to do.....besides, if we go over the GG bridge, my wife will be sitting with her head between her legs because of the height etc and not much help..
Old 05-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #8

We took our 38' DP straight through on 101 no problem. It is city driving, stop and go is no fun in a motorhome.

Didn't even come close to loosing a mirror. I wouldn't even hesitate to drive our 43' through.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
Unless you have been in SF you may not know that there is NO freeway through the city, it's all city streets and traffic lights, lots of traffic, narrow streets, and poor signage.

Well.... not quite true. If headed north on 101, you only need to follow your signs to Interstate 80 (Sacramento) and you'll go right by the financial district, the Giants ball park, and on to the Bay Bridge. All freeway. Now if your find yourself southbound on 101 from Marin county... then yes, you've got to deal with some city driving that I want no part of in my rig.

I was born and raised there and still go back with my 40DP and toad. However, I DON'T use the GG bridge because of all the street traffic already mentioned.

The San Francisco RV Resort (actually in Pacifica) is a handy place to stay while visiting the city... or you can stay in Marin county and take the ferry into The City.

Best of luck and enjoy your visit.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Entered CA in San Diego pulling a 40 foot 5th wheel wiht a 1 ton King Ranch F350 Dually, in 2007. Entered CA around the LA area in 2012 in the 40 foot DP towing the Saturn Vue. Headed North and crossed the GG bridge both times. Never had a problem and don't remember any bad things about it. Scenery was great, driving was easy. I did not go "downtown."

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #11

Just as an aside to all that was said- :-)
If you are not familiar with the coast route and you want see the Hearst Castle and go from San Luis Obispo to Monterey via the coast route DONT EVEN THINK OF IT!!!!
You will regret it. You will have problems with all the turns (there must be several thousand of them and very short radius ones at that). Go back to Interstate 5, do not pass go, do not collect $100. Just thought I'd mention it. I did it once NEVER AGAIN.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been trough the city and over the Golden Gate bridge both north and south bound. While not easy, nor did I find it overly difficult. And I don't know my way around the city one bit. Just followed a map and what appeared the most direct route.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Just as an aside to all that was said- :-)
If you are not familiar with the coast route and you want see the Hearst Castle and go from San Luis Obispo to Monterey via the coast route DONT EVEN THINK OF IT!!!!
You will regret it. You will have problems with all the turns (there must be several thousand of them and very short radius ones at that). Go back to Interstate 5, do not pass go, do not collect $100. Just thought I'd mention it. I did it once NEVER AGAIN.
I have to agree that I'd want no part of the Pacific Coast Hwy driving a big rig through that stretch. BUT... don't go to Interstate 5. US 101 is much closer and infinitely more scenic. It's our preferred route from all the way up the coast from San Diego all the way into Oregon.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
We did this last year and had no problems even in the 6:00 rush hour. We took 101 all the way and it was scenic to say the least. AStually I took the wrong exit and had to traverse several downtown streets to get back on 101 and all were crowded but very easily doable. Once over the bridge stop at the memorial and look back.