Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
Getting a tire repaired

I have been on the phone for the past few hours with Good Sam Road Side Assistance. We found our left rear outer tire flat with a nail in the tread. The Good Sam plan will not allow a repair, only replacement. I agreed to that, but they can't find a dealer with a tire that will work with them..... I am not out in the middle of nowhere, I am in the Denver Metro area. I have called around and found a mobile service that not only has the tire, but can do it in a few hours..... They will even repair the tire I have if the feel it can be done. The cost of the service call is 2 hours at $115 an hour. I believe the issue is that Good Sam does not want to pay the cost of the service call, so they're

EBRT - 2013 Outlaw 37LS
Castle Rock, CO
tpspuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
call good sam back, give them the info on who has the tire and tell them to get it to you. When your contract expires with gs , go to Coach Net

PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Unless there is a bunch of damage to the tire it can be repaired by a mobile truck tire repair. Just break the tire down and put a patch on the inside. Save the cost of a new tire!!!! Or I have done it myself with the plug type kits. Pull nail marking spot use the included file type devise then put the rubber repaid glue on a plug and run it in the hole.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
forget roadside assistance. you can limp it to the nearest tire repair shop to get fixed. Been there done that. once over 100 miles.
93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:35 PM   #5
That was our experience with GS. They only use certain companies(cheaper) and they don't care how long you have to wait.
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
The Good Sam Roadside fiasco has gone south..... They can't get to me until Monday. I posted on the open roads board and Marcus is now involved.... I would think someone is going to be calling me tomorrow.
EBRT - 2013 Outlaw 37LS
Castle Rock, CO
tpspuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Like said above just air up the tire and it will go a long way before it gets down. For less than 50 bucks you can get it repaired.
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Question about the road side assistant companies like Good Sam and Coach Net. Is it possible to go to any repair shop, pay the bill yourself, and just send them a copy of the receipt for a refund?
Pexring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:16 PM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
Good Sam's "rules", due to possible legal issues, will not allow them to repair a tire. Their legal department says that if someone improperly repaired a tire and you had an accident due to the improper repair that they could be held responsible for the repair.

We had a flat back in January while entering a campground due to a valve stem breaking. We traveled less than 50 feet at less than 10 mph but GS Roadside Assistance refused to pay for a repair or the service call. They did get a service truck to our location only after I agreed to pay the bill. The service tech installed a new valve stem, inspected the tire and put air back in it. We have put about 6000 miles on the MH since that day without any problems. I filed a complain with GSRS and they reimbursed me the $264.xx I paid for the repair.
Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Something you folks need to remember about most all Roadside Assistance programs. Very few (in fact I only know of one) Actually operates a roadside service and then only in selected markets. (Example Detroit metro area)

All of them have contract towing companies.. And in some cases service companies.. These provide roadside service or towing assistance if you need it.. But they are independent contractors... And in many markets the Good Sam's contract provider, will also be the CoachNet provider and if AAA in that state offers RV service.. you likely have guessed who their provider is (yup) They all use the same tow trucks and service providers.

AAA, in major markets, like Detroit, may have a cooporative program in partnership with other outfits (including the State of Michigan in Detroit's case) that puts service VANS on the road.. These vans offer assistance to ANY stranded motorist.. but alas, can not tow (no tow gear) they may be able to push you to the shoulder if engine trouble though. Saves the Citizens of the states a few Million a year in traffic incidents.

But that is a special case. There are also trucks like that in several other major markets (Las Vegas I think has 'em) others I have not visited since the program was started as well.

Have talked to one or two of those "Courtesy Patrol" drivers.. Like the one who watched a Pick Up Truck fall out of the sky onto the car in front of him.. That was ONE EXCITED CP Driver!!!. (And sadly two dead people in the car.. Driver of pickup,, Well there was none, he'd fallen out some distance back, No seat belt, door latch broken, driver intoxicated, Minor injury only. Judge however inflicted major injury (Something about vehicular homicide). )
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ERS Good Sam and Coach Net will only pay to change a mounted tire. Not repair, nor to mount your unmounted tire. Have them dispatch and pay the mobile service directly if repairable for only the repair itself, with the ERS picking up the dispatch charge.

I carry a mounted spare. On a previous coach I carried a unmounted spare. I have had occasion to use both and also to have a nail repair done. In conjunction with the ERS.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #12
Repairing a puncture on todays tires is not like years ago. Todays tires have steel belts, if water enters via a puncture the steel rusts quickly and destroys tire integrity. This is so important all tire manufacturers void the warranty if a tire is repaired, and also vacate the load rating and speed rating.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:24 AM   #13
My roadside assistance is a rider on my Progressive policy. Never have had a problem with them. I broke down late one night in the panhandle of Fl. They had trouble finding me a tow truck big enough, so I did a google search and found one. I paid for it and they promptly reimbursed me.

2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote