Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
getting around the campground

I am partially disabled in that, due to lung problems, I can't walk very far. We rent a mobility scooter when we can to use. What other means of getting around have you seen in the campground ? Bikes are out due to the lung problem. Wondering what you use or have seen. We are traveling in a Entegra Aspire 40'

Thanks !!
Doc S

Doc S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Golfcart sounds ideal but you'd need to tow it or have a TH.

Never criticize a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes... then you're a mile away & you've got their shoes!
Katina, Dave & kiddos ~ '97 Thor Residency 35'
kat_nda_sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
Golfcart sounds ideal but you'd need to tow it or have a TH.
I agree with Kat on the golf cart idea but you'd be surprised how many CGs now have arrangements with a local dealer to provide rentals while you stay with them.

I doubt this is often workable for short stays, but if you're planning to be staying somewhere for a month or more it could be an option.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just saw someone puttering around on an electric scooter like this one

At only $200, and with a weight capacity of 240 pounds (weighs 54 lbs itself) I can see this becoming a reasonable alternative for lots of older folks.

Of course, if you have balance issues, not so good...
Life rocks when your house rolls
Senior Chief
& the Cheese Queen

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
We use Segways. I have severe asthma and a bone on bone knee joint so can't walk far distances. If you can stand, the Segways are outstanding. If you can't stand, they make ones that have seats. They will go 24 miles on a single charge at 10 mph. Plus, they are great conversation starters.
2007 Winnebago Tour Full-timing for the first time
Kim, Lynda & Cody the shih tzu
See our blog: http://wildridetravels.com/
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
We bought a folding electric bicycle on ebay for around $800. It says it goes 16 miles on a charge, but we've never run it up that far to find out, at several campgrounds. It is also a conversation piece. Comfortable too, after changing out the seat at WalMart for a slightly larger butt.
missymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
Doc, I have a gas golf cart that I use. Tow it on a small trailor. Drive off, use,drive back on. The only problem is Tx state parks dont allow them. Dont knw why. Will run for months on a tank.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
I would look into a large platform that fits into the hitch and is either off the ground or has a large single wheel under it. I cannot remember the company name or website but small trailers are not fun to tow and having another thing to change oil in check tires go a light and low maintenance as you can! Not sure how much you want to spend but segway and platform might be the way to go.
a bad day camping is still better than a good day working.
sparks1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Segways are a kick, but you would probably need two and they're VERY pricey! I used one at work for quite awhile. They're a little heavy and may be awkward to stow unless you had a specific spot for them. Trying to lift and stow may be tough with a lung condition.

The electric bicycle sounds like the most practical idea and I doubt there would be any campground restrictions with them.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:25 AM   #10
National RV Owners Club
This is what my father purchased for mobility purposes after he lost his driver's license. It is considered a bike so there should be no restrictions anyplace that allows bikes. I have this one for sale but if I can't move it, I am considering taking it with me on RV Trips. A platform that goes in my trailer hitch would be the best way to go I think as mentioned above, a trailer can be a pain.

Electric Trike
1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
There are a lot of good electric bikes-trikes available. Many are light weight and easy to transport in your rv. I know that Camping World has some of these and others as well. My sister has issues with doing much walking and she bought one from CW and takes it with them on their rv trips. This device has given her back a lot of the fun of rving. There are things out there to help you enjoy camping more with your health problems. Pick the one that best suits your needs and enjoy life all you can.
John- 2011 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
catonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
Getting Around

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Will have to weigh my options and decide.

Doc S

Doc S is offline   Reply With Quote