Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #15

Check out this link to set up your 30 amp motorhome so it will run both AC from on shore power. This is a great write up with pictures.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How to run two AC's with 30 Amp Service UPDATE UPDATE

and I have done this to my Bounder and it works great.
Wrangler338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler338
Check out this link to set up your 30 amp motorhome so it will run both AC from on shore power. This is a great write up with pictures.

This is the same modification I did to my RV. Works great.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #17
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler338 View Post

I did a similare modification with a 2 pole double throw switch. The two plugs do the same thing and probably cheaper.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #18

well after testing we open breaker box near gen. we found rear ac (20amp breaker) linked to the load side of 30a breake.r switched it to feed leg and both ran ok for over an hr....thx for help
usamonkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #19

I have a 50AMP TT, but I wanted to be able to incorporate the 20 GFCI receptacle at state parks (without tripping the GFI) or use both the 50 and 30 amp connections and this is the only SAFE way I found. I wanted to run both AC's and a microwave and not worry if the ice machine kicked on too. Some homemade brews could be a disaster waiting to happen if the park is wired with multiple phases feeding the plugs. To me, it was well worth the money and time to install this setup. I get 50 amps of service on a 30 amp site or 70 amps on a 50 amp site without straining any components! The JTB automatically "removes" the main A/C from my main panel when the JTB is plugged in so it doesn't count towards my main panel amperage draw. When the JTB is not plugged in, the main A/C is still part of the main panel. It's a "smart" set of automatic relays that won't trip the GFI.

Here's is my JTB Power Solution System installed in my Denali 266RL 34' TT. I also have a Progressive Industries EMS on both the 50AMP Main Panel service and the 30AMP (Technically 20AMP) JTB service. I did not opt for the install kit as I intended to use a 30 amp twist lock power inlet to match my 50 amp main inlet. Also I was running short #10 wires, so the install kit is not pictured. I also purchased the yellow 30to20 amp adapter by Marinco (#126A), but it has not arrived yet, so is not pictured.

I also chose to add a receptacle to my JTB box which can be used only if the main A/C is turned off at the thermostat. I chose to "JTB" my main A/C rather than my second A/C because that is the ducted unit that we will always be using. It also is the larger unit and pulls more amps, so I isolated it to the JTB which frees up more available amps on the main 50 amp panel for the microwave, uline ice maker, hair dryer, and other appliances. If I did the bedroom AC on the JTB then I am limiting the amount of time that I actually benefit from the JTB. Haven't been camping as I just finished the install today, but connected to power at home and everything works as expected.

Here's the slideshow photos:
http://s544.photobucket.com/user/kno.../slideshow/JTB
knowles24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #20

I did this on my 1996 intruder, and im sure I use the right wire from the generator, but when plugged into shore power on the rv and I plug in the rear ac on seperate power it wont come on. I beleive it it has to do with the automatic switch going from shore power to generator. Does any one know where the ac wire from the rear ac goes to?
jvowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:55 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First I detect a possible fire hazard. What do you mean by "I have the ability to plug into 50 amp"?

Now.. You find the wire that feeds on of the Air conditoiners,,Generally the rear.. Often this can be accessed in the Generator connecitons panel but you will need the wiring diagram for your RV.

Disconnect it and run two 12ga lines one from the point you disconnected it to to an outlet (May be a pigtal type) and the other to an INLET or plug

Original wiring

Stuff--------------Air conditioenr

New

Stuff---------outlet/plug-------air conditioner

Better new

Stuff---------Outlet/Plug-20 amp breaker----A/C

Now when on 30 amp.. Pull the plug and using a 12GA extension cord ((I like the ones from Sears or K-mart)plug into park 20 amp outlet

The last option (Better new) above used to be sold as a kit by a company who's url was PSRV dot Com or net (forget which) but they went 404.. Do not know why other than the price ($99.00) which I felt was a bit high.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:08 AM   #22

usamonkeyman,

Doing what you did, created the potential of drawing 50 amps from, what ever, wire feeds that 30 amp breaker.

That wire needs to be large enough to handle that, otherwise it could overheat, melt and burn.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
usamonkeyman,

Doing what you did, created the potential of drawing 50 amps from, what ever, wire feeds that 30 amp breaker.

That wire needs to be large enough to handle that, otherwise it could overheat, melt and burn.
Considering usamonkeyman's post was 3 years old... I'm pretty sure he's already melted whatever is going to melt.

Talk about a thread resurrection... lol
knowles24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #24

Wow, didn't notice that.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote