Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #1

getting both A/C units running at same time

I have a 1991 Thor Pinnacle and i have the 2 slecter switches one for gen and one that switches between front and back but not both i have 30 Amp plug to sshore power but also have the option to pluge into 50 Amp how do i wire it so i can run both at the same time thanks
rpelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 04:23 AM   #2

Can you run both AC units with the generator running? How many cables are going to the selector switch? I'm getting ready to modify my MH to run both AC units. Right now I can run both units from the generator. My 7000 watt generator has 2 circuits one 20 amp and one 30 amp circuit. The 30 amp circuit runs to a changeover switch and then to the breaker box. My selector switch has 4 cables one from each AC unit, one from the breaker box, and one from the 20 amp circuit on the generator. My selector switch swaps both AC units between the two circuits. So, all I have to do is break the 20 amp circuit at the generator and install a male plug on the cable going to the selector switch and a female outlet on the cable coming from the generator. Now I can run a 12 gauge extension cord from the selector switch plug I just installed and plug that into a 20 amp outlet. That and the original 30 amp cord together will run both ac units.

Huey
Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The generator should run both at once.. On 30 amp you do not have the amps to run both at once on shore power, Plugging into a 50 amp outlet makes no difference here.

HOWEVER: there is hope. There used to be a company "Power Solutions RV, www psrv net) but they seem to be gone now (I hope the software does not try to translate that, I left the periods out).

I will describe their product.

Your current set up.. From the generator junction box

JB---Power wire---Air conditioner (rear).

After their mod

JB---Power line---Their mod---Power line---Air conditioner.

Their mod

Consisted of a power inlet box with a 20 amp breaker in it and a 15 amp style inlet (an inlet is like a plug but the plug is mounted, not on a cord)

There was also a short pigtail type outlet

Power came into the mod and went to the pigtail,, You plugged the pigtail outlet onto the inlet for "normal" operation.

Hoever in an RV park you could unplug the pigtail, plug in a 12 ga Extension cord from Lowes or Home Depot, Sears, K-mart, Mennards, et-al, and run it to the 20 amp outlet on the park pedistal.

Since this completly isolated the rear A/C from the rest of the house, there were no issues with GFCI's sensing a foreign ground (Ground fault).

How I did it.

I got a 12ga cord, long enough and a junction box

Removed power wire to air conditioner from where it hooked up (Since my rig is 50 amp this is the breaker box, on your 30 amp it will be the generator junction box) moved it to the additional junction box

Took a 12 ga cord of the proper length (2x the distance to where I put the plug/outlet) and cut it in half, the outlet half replaced the original power line to the A/C. at the breaker box (Or in your case generator junction box)

The plug half went to the junction box and from then via the original wire on to the roof.

I may, some day, just for safety, add a surface mount light socket with a 20 amp screw in breaker. But for now I'm trusting the 20 amp park breaker.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I made the modification myself to a 1989 pace Arrow many years ago so that we could be cool in the Texas summers. It was much like described above, but befoer thay came out with their product.

If you have any electrical knowledge, it is not hard to do.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #5

There is a Product for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpelrod View Post
I have a 1991 Thor Pinnacle and i have the 2 slecter switches one for gen and one that switches between front and back but not both i have 30 Amp plug to sshore power but also have the option to pluge into 50 Amp how do i wire it so i can run both at the same time thanks
I read the responses to your questions. All good, but if you want a UL approved product that lets you run both AC at a time from a park with 50 or 30 amp service you could look in to the JTB Power solutions device. It lets me run both ACs from a 30 amp park and it lets me run one AC from my home electricity of 15 amps for the ref, bat charger and another receptacle outlet of 20 Amps to cool the coach down while we are loading up for a trip. It is a great tool to have when your faced with only a 30 amp cord and system. Sold at many dealers and Camping World. Simple install if you can do some basic house hold wiring. Hope this helps. They have a facebook page and web site too.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #6

yes i can run both from the gen but im too close to other trailers to run it and i also found out i don't have a 20 amp connection only 30 and 50 amp to chose from could i use a 30 amp femal to 50 amp male to plug my main shore power in to the 50 amp connection then use a 15amp female to 30 amp male to plug the new connection from the gen area for the back a/c into the 30 amp connection at the pole and thanks everyone for the help
rpelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've run both heat pumps on 30 amps for years with no trouble other than when we got on with a weak breaker.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #8

New question same subject, I'm new to RV's..just bought a 1993 southwind, original manual says supposed to be able to run both ac's w/gen, after about 15 min blow gen breaker, what should I ck...thx for help!
usamonkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #9

How many breakers are on your generator and what size are they?
Old 07-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #10

2 breakers I believe ....a 20 & a 30
Old 07-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #11

The AC selector switch swaps the 2 AC units between the breakers. If you change the position of the AC selector switch does the problem move to the other breaker ?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamonkeyman
2 breakers I believe ....a 20 & a 30
Which breaker is blowing?

Unless you have some sort of power management,the 20 amp breaker is only for the rear a/c, everything else is on the 30 amp.

If you're having a bad day... front a/c running, battery charger going full bore, and something in the microwave, that 30 amp breaker could just blow.

In mine,..
Front ac 18 amps
Rear ac 12 amps
100 amp charger 14 amps
Inverter just idling 9 amps
Microwave, hair dryer, 10 each...
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #13

Going to do some testing today to see which ac is hooked to which breaker...will report back thx for advice, what do I ck to see if whatever switch says generator is on an working properly(ie: bypassing selector switch?)
Old 07-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpelrod
yes i can run both from the gen but im too close to other trailers to run it and i also found out i don't have a 20 amp connection only 30 and 50 amp to chose from could i use a 30 amp femal to 50 amp male to plug my main shore power in to the 50 amp connection then use a 15amp female to 30 amp male to plug the new connection from the gen area for the back a/c into the 30 amp connection at the pole and thanks everyone for the help
I don't see any reason why not, with the exception some CGs will not allow you to use two outlets. So you want to check that out. You of course understand doing this you will lose overload protection at the pedistal and will be relying on the 20 and 30a breakers in the coach.

If they won't allow two cords to the pedistal and you don't care about locking yourself into using only a 50a recepticle in the future, you could go this route:

Replace your 30a cord with a 50a. Then wire one 50a phase to the 30a coach circuit, the other 50a phase to where you would have put the 20a circuit for the rear AC. Again, no protection at the pedistal.

This would be a good option if you were staying put. If you're moving around, you would lose your rear AC (without generator) if you encounter a CG without 50a service.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote