Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #1

Getting Closer to a Decision

Well, we're leaning towards diesel...and now one more question has popped up. Why have we ruled out Class C motor homes. Not sure if this is the correct forum, but wondered it anyone has a good reason why Class A is better?

Thanks for all of the help so far...you're pointing us in the right direction.

Barbara
AloraDanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I read this to the wife and she said the biggest difference for her is Room and storage room and more room. She packs alot.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Went from a 34 ft Gulfstream Endura class C to a 40 ft dp.
The differance in interior room is huge class a has 4 slides class c had 2,the ride in the dp is way better and a ton quieter.The milage on the c was a little better and the tires were way cheeper (both are diesel)but all in all I think the class a is the way to go IMHO.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #4

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, budget, preferences, etc. I don't know if a Class A is "better" than anything else.

Some differences that come to mind regarding the Class A diesel include more power, longer lasting engine, different sleeping quarters (no cab-over), probably more storage, but some C's have a lot also.

Most A's have two air conditioners and have 50 amp electric service. Some C's have two AC's but I think most of them are 30 amp. I have a friend who has a large older C and he has two AC's. One runs on the 30 amp service and the other can only run when he runs the generator. The 50 amp power enables more "stuff" to be used at the same time, a big plus if you need air conditioning at the same time you are brewing coffee, warming up rolls in the microwave, and your wife is drying her hair. Those things cannot be done simultaneously with 30 amp service.

A's have a super big picture window windshield where C's don't. The big windshield is a big plus when you are driving in scenic areas. It is not a big plus when there are lots of bugs in those scenic areas.

Others can chime in with more authority that I but these are a few which come to mind.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #5

If you are leaning toward a DP then you answered your own question. Unless you are talking about the $500,000 class c then a DP is everything a class c is not. I'm not trying to be a smart !!! But your not comparing apples to apples.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #6

If you like the idea of a diesel and a class C style of motorhome, take a look at some made on the Kodiak chassis. A friend has a Bigfoot and it is really a nice rig. There are other manufacturers also.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With any C you're on a van chassis. Driver and co-pilot are going to be sitting at regular car level for seeing the road and scenery. Ever wished you could see over those bridge rails? You can on an A. I haven't see a C yet with pass through storage bays. On an A you're sitting up at Semi level to see the road and scenery. Yes, there is a reason why Semis can and do go faster in the rain, they're sitting up where the road spray that hits a cars windshield goes underneather the Semi's windshield. My wife says it's like sitting in the penthouse watching the traffic go by and the scenery unfold. With the DP the engine noise in the back, no roaring motor up front to interfer with you radio or conversation. You want a king sized bed, try to find it in a C. My shower is 42 inches wide, find that in a C. You the comfort of air ride, look for A. You want to tow 10 - 15,000 pounds, look for an A. Both the C and the A have their advantages and disadvantages. If you want the more spacious, comfortable MH, then you're probably going to want an A. If more compact but still well equipped and comfortable suits your needs, look at the Cs.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The view from the front seat is soooooo nice from an A.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #9

Another BIG advantage with a DP is the superior handling and ride. Last year on my way to Florida at the end of January, I fell in Ohio and 'may' have broken a bone in my right wrist. For two days I drove with excutiating (sp) pain and swelling. With my former class c, that would have been impossible as you had to drive with two hands all the time to keep it on the road.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AloraDanin View Post
Well, we're leaning towards diesel...and now one more question has popped up. Why have we ruled out Class C motor homes. Not sure if this is the correct forum, but wondered it anyone has a good reason why Class A is better?

Thanks for all of the help so far...you're pointing us in the right direction.

Barbara
as mentioned... C chassis are usually overloaded from the get go. Add water, a full tank of propane, and gas... youre generally at max CCC.
Plus the mileage isnt better than an A chassis. There are some exceptions... like Super Cs that are built on truck chassis. Those will be more expensive for obvious reasons.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We drove around the country in a c class and had a great time with the kids and the mother-in-law, but now we have a class a deisel pusher and its like a cadilac, everything is just better, rent a class c and then a class a and then make your decission! Big investment either way so take your time.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
The view from the front seat is soooooo nice from an A.
Right on!! Looking out the window of our class A is like standing on the top of a hill and having an unobstructed view from the sky to the ground and 90º to the right and left.

I believe my wife likes to set in the co-pilot seat, while going down the road, more than she likes camping!
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #13

we have a super C diesel. We looked at alot of different coaches, and still look everytime we can. I really like the fact that each of us has a door were we can enter our seats. This may seem silly, but as the co-pilot 100% of the time, I like sitting side by side instead of the well of the stairs right under my seat.
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
A major difference is the capacity of the fuel, fresh water and holding tanks that are substantially larger in a C.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote