Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #1

Getting dog house off for maintenance?

As you all know, we just got this MH and I'm taking it in to have a bunch of fluid changes and injectors deep cleaned next week to establish a baseline. To remove the dog house (DH) inside the cab, there were 2 large screws with fender washers on them up front on the DH right under the dashboard area...1 on the left and 1 on the right. I removed those 2 screws and that portion of the DH was able to lift up BUT on the other end it was catching on something. I looked for a latch, additional screws around the carpet areaŚ and nothing. I got on my creeper and got under the chassis and looked up in that area and I see kinda of a latch or mechanism of some sort. So I went back up in the cab area and looked for a handle like an emergency brake handle to pull and release that latch. Still nothing. Raised the front hood and looked still nothing.

So my question is:
How is the back area of the dog house fastened and how do you release it?

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2016, 06:46 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Screws under the carpet.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
As you all know, we just got this MH and I'm taking it in to have a bunch of fluid changes and injectors deep cleaned next week to establish a baseline. To remove the dog house (DH) inside the cab, there were 2 large screws with fender washers on them up front on the DH right under the dashboard area...1 on the left and 1 on the right. I removed those 2 screws and that portion of the DH was able to lift up BUT on the other end it was catching on something. I looked for a latch, additional screws around the carpet areaŚ and nothing. I got on my creeper and got under the chassis and looked up in that area and I see kinda of a latch or mechanism of some sort. So I went back up in the cab area and looked for a handle like an emergency brake handle to pull and release that latch. Still nothing. Raised the front hood and looked still nothing.

So my question is:
How is the back area of the dog house fastened and how do you release it?
On our 2005 Winnebago Voyage in the center of the aft end of the doghouse about two inches from the back there is a place to insert an allen head wrench which needs to be turned a quarter turn to release the latch.
The opening will be buried in the carpet.
PJStough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
On our 2005 Winnebago Voyage in the center of the aft end of the doghouse about two inches from the back there is a place to insert an allen head wrench which needs to be turned a quarter turn to release the latch.
On my Winnebago besides the allen head wrench retainer there are also two phillips head screws at the corners of the doghouse in the front that have to be removed, too.
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:28 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As stated, there is a secret hole near the center rear for an allen wrench, which should be in your Bag of books.
Good luck.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
As stated, there is a secret hole near the center rear for an allen wrench, which should be in your Bag of books.
Good luck.
Already checked the bag of books...not there....hence the post.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:31 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Vista 30-T with the 2013 chassis. You said you looked up underneath the engine area and spotted a latch or something. Well you spotted it just as I had to do. The allen wrench location is slightly off center at the very back of the DH. Why they didn't install it directly in the center is beyond me. It would have been so much easier to find.

I knew what I was looking for and even searched for it with a rare earth magnet but since the latch is through the hole in the fiberglass on the inside of the DH even the (REM) magnet couldn't find enough metal to attract. it.

After I spotted the location of the latch from underneath I then searched for an opening by sticking a small screwdriver on the vertical end of the DH through the carpet and about half way up.

Once you find the hole now you have to find the correct sized wrench. The allen wrench is somewhat large around 3/8." I had to take about 6 different larger sizes out to the coach before I finally found which one did fit.

We even bought our coach new and I still do not recall ever running across the wrench in all the stuff they gave us. If we got one it got lost or was hidden just like the wheel cover T-handle nut remover. Fortunately for me our last coach had the same covers so I knew what to look for. It was hanging in a rear compartment on a hook but during the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) they never spotted it and then of course never told us where it was located. I still had the one from the last coach so now I have 2.

You at least spotted and removed the two screws up front. Our last coach didn't have those. Once I found and released the rear latch I still couldn't remove the DH until I figured out that there were two screws up front on either side.

While I had the cover off I also added a 1/2" layer of sticky backed Hush-Mat to reduce the noise and heat a bit more. Our DH engine cover did have some foil but I wanted more sound and heat deadening material.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #8

I'm following this thread as I might need to remove my DH sometime soon. Since I presume the OP has a Ford chassis, am I correct in stating that access via the DH is different from a Ford chassis to a Workhorse (which is what I have)
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post

Our 2007 Winnebago Voyage is on a Workhorse Chassis and has the latch as stated above. Just have to feel around the carpet and once you find the hole turn and it will pull off.
JohnnyQuest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
I'm following this thread as I might need to remove my DH sometime soon. Since I presume the OP has a Ford chassis, am I correct in stating that access via the DH is different from a Ford chassis to a Workhorse (which is what I have)
This is a F-Series Ford chassis.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
We have a Vista 30-T with the 2013 chassis. You said you looked up underneath the engine area and spotted a latch or something. Well you spotted it just as I had to do. The allen wrench location is slightly off center at the very back of the DH. Why they didn't install it directly in the center is beyond me. It would have been so much easier to find.

I knew what I was looking for and even searched for it with a rare earth magnet but since the latch is through the hole in the fiberglass on the inside of the DH even the (REM) magnet couldn't find enough metal to attract. it.

After I spotted the location of the latch from underneath I then searched for an opening by sticking a small screwdriver on the vertical end of the DH through the carpet and about half way up.

Once you find the hole now you have to find the correct sized wrench. The allen wrench is somewhat large around 3/8." I had to take about 6 different larger sizes out to the coach before I finally found which one did fit.

We even bought our coach new and I still do not recall ever running across the wrench in all the stuff they gave us. If we got one it got lost or was hidden just like the wheel cover T-handle nut remover. Fortunately for me our last coach had the same covers so I knew what to look for. It was hanging in a rear compartment on a hook but during the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) they never spotted it and then of course never told us where it was located. I still had the one from the last coach so now I have 2.

You at least spotted and removed the two screws up front. Our last coach didn't have those. Once I found and released the rear latch I still couldn't remove the DH until I figured out that there were two screws up front on either side.

While I had the cover off I also added a 1/2" layer of sticky backed Hush-Mat to reduce the noise and heat a bit more. Our DH engine cover did have some foil but I wanted more sound and heat deadening material.
That's exactly where it was.

The carpet was glued to the DH so I had to pull the carpet up & off which left some of the carpet canvas backing material still on the DH shell, but as you said that allen bolt was about 2" to the right of back center and about 2" up from the floor. Mine too more than a 1/4 turn though. It was about 3/4 or a turn counter clockwise to release the latch.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a detailed response that led me to solve my problem.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #12

It looks like you found what you needed. It is covered on page 3-10 of the operators manual. It gives both text and pictures as to how to remove the cover. If you don't have the manual here's a link to the online one on the Winnebago website.

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...12/12Vista.pdf

Tags
maintenance