Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #1

Getting heat in 2000 Bounder 36s?

How do I get the heat to work? I'm on the road in my 18 Wheeler and this crossed my mind. I know it's not through the roof ac unit's because I tried before. When I did turn the heat on air started blowing out the ducts in the floor but never got warm. Do I need to have the propane on or something? I'm going to read the manual and all to understand it but have always gotten helpful information from you guys so thought I'd ask.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #2

Assuming that it is a propane furnace, the gas well have to be turned on. The fan well kick in to clear any gas out of the combustion chamber and then the glow plug well get hot and call for propane, that's it you have heat. Or was this a trick ?

Old 10-27-2015, 03:02 PM   #3

Ditto.

Make sure you have LP in the tank. Make sure the valve is open. Make sure critters have not made a nest in the combustion or exhaust ports. Dirt daubers love those spots.

The fan will run for a half minute or so before the control board turns on the glow plug and opens the valve on the burner. If no ignition occurs, the system will shut down and you need to have the system serviced.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon Run View Post
Assuming that it is a propane furnace, the gas well have to be turned on. The fan well kick in to clear any gas out of the combustion chamber and then the glow plug well get hot and call for propane, that's it you have heat. Or was this a trick ?
This is no trick. I just bought my rv In April and it is my first so I have no idea. Got a trip coming up for thanksgiving and I think I'm going to need it. What all should I check out?
Old 10-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #5

Make sure your lp leak detector alarm is on or it will not open the electronic valve on the tank mine is on the baseboard bellow the stove
Old 10-27-2015, 05:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl0525 View Post
Make sure your lp leak detector alarm is on or it will not open the electronic valve on the tank mine is on the baseboard bellow the stove
I have never heard of this. To the best of my knowledge the LP/CO detector is not connected in any way to the LP tank. The alarm is a totally independent unit and relies only on the coach batteries to operate. The valve on the LP tank is a manual valve only. YMMV of course.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl0525 View Post
It's on. I didn't have the LP had on when I tried it. I was thinking that the roof ac units supplied heat but when I saw they didn't I figured I better ask someone the correct way to get heat before I mess up sometime or worse.......
Old 10-27-2015, 06:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimmons View Post

It's on. I didn't have the LP had on when I tried it. I was thinking that the roof ac units supplied heat but when I saw they didn't I figured I better ask someone the correct way to get heat before I mess up sometime or worse.......
Ya I was in the same boat trying to get the fridge to lite off in propane mode and scratched my head for a couple of hours wondering why propane was not getting to the fridge then I turned it on which controls the electronic valve at the tank. So that puts 2 valves at the tank manual and electronic
Old 10-31-2015, 07:46 AM   #9

Thanks to everyone again for their response and help! I have heat now so the wife can be comfy on our thanksgiving get away. I just have to check the duct in the bedroom now because it don't seem to be blowing much at all like either something is in it or it is unhooked.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:00 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDream View Post
I have never heard of this. To the best of my knowledge the LP/CO detector is not connected in any way to the LP tank. The alarm is a totally independent unit and relies only on the coach batteries to operate. The valve on the LP tank is a manual valve only. YMMV of course.
Many older and I am not sure of newer coaches had propane detectors that shut off the propane. My 1994 Bounder had this type of propane detectors.

Tags
bounder, heat