Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Alora go to oodle.com search for what you want, (I hope you went to rv.org and signed up there) sign up for oodle alerts and they will email you everyday with everything new that pops up on the internet, with the exception of what's listed on craigslist. If you want a coach you probably going to have to spend some time and money traveling to find it. I was all set to fly from coast to coast after phone conversations. I got luck and found one within a 100 miles.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzjea View Post
Just a note on PPL Motorhomes in Houston. We live here and have been there a number of times. The good news is that they have a lot of RVs to choose from. The not so good news is that they are all on consignment unless they took one on trade in for a customer. Either way they do not do much if anything to the unit until you buy it or pay for an inspection. Even if you buy, they will charge you to fix most anything on it.

It seems that most people who consign there just drive it in and drop it off. The cosmetics are usually rough. The mechanicals might be ok but you really need to get them checked out before purchasing. They are not like a RV dealer who also sells used units. They are a business designed to sell (promote, advertise) someone else's RV.

If you want a fixer-upper, then this might be the perfect place. They do not sell cheap like an individual might because they make less commission if they do and the seller would not be too happy either.

This is not to say I would not consider them but be cautious. Also, do not buy without seeing first hand unless you are willing to deal with the unknowns.

The most expensive units might be the best condition, but I did not look in most of those as they were too $$ for my needs and wants.

John

For the purpose of full disclosure, I do not live anywhere near PPL and only roamed the DP lot there once.

Could not disagree more with this post, found the units to be generally clean and aesthetically in the condition that one would expect for a coach that has been "well looked after" and generally priced to sell.

Just my 2 cents!

Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

Old 01-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
For the purpose of full disclosure, I do not live anywhere near PPL and only roamed the DP lot there once.

Could not disagree more with this post, found the units to be generally clean and aesthetically in the condition that one would expect for a coach that has been "well looked after" and generally priced to sell.

Just my 2 cents!

Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Like I said, the most expensive units might be ok and better cared-for. Those are the ones I did not look at. I did look at all of the others and would not have bought any of them at that time. My point was to be aware that this is a consignment lot, so be careful. Just my .02.

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:02 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As mentioned already if your just doing the snowbird thing a gas coach may be the way to go. On the other hand if you intend to be on the road most of the time then I guess it would be DP time. We have done our share of being on the road and yes we have a gas coach. I'm not familiar with all the diesel stuff not to say I couldn't learn but the maintenance of those rigs are a little beyond the budget for us. Just be careful either way you go and have the unit inspected before you buy it. Yes the floorplan is important and make sure it fits the little lady and has all the bells and whistles she likes. You know happens when mama isn't happy. Enjoy your shopping and hope you make that purchase soon.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my opinion a floorplan that suits your needs is far more important than whether the chassis is diesel or gas. We have had both in our 40+ years of RVing.
There comes a time when looking that you can become overloaded with information.
One of the most important things to us is accessability to everything within the coach with the slides all in.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote